The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Memes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars Memes Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Too true. My location used to say 'Hoth Dakota'. Never did like the cold and I got it there in spades. -40 is no joke, folks.

At first, I wondered if your Auto-Correct had somehow changed "North Dakota" to "Hoth Dakota", but after some consideration, I realized it was true either way.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Ugh. It warmed up today to 11° right now (high of 22° today), but we got a fresh dumping of snow last night so school is cancelled for the third day in a row. It's a good thing I work at home or my wife and I would have to miss a lot of work. I hope the dog can hold on until later when the street gets cleared to go outside.

~Freezing in the Midwest

Meanwhile, in Northern California, yesterday was sunny, with a high of 63.

You can hate me if you like, I can handle it.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
At first, I wondered if your Auto-Correct had somehow changed "North Dakota" to "Hoth Dakota", but after some consideration, I realized it was true either way.

Yup. It's really a frozen hell.

CRMcNeill wrote:

And warmer weather is a huge reason I moved back to civilization. I worked in places where it was 2 hours to a Wal-Mart in ANY direction. Not kidding. On the other hand, my job did require travel to and through some of the most beautiful and rugged parts of Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado so it wasn't all bad. Just mostly bad. Laughing
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Whill wrote:
I hope the dog can hold on until later when the street gets cleared to go outside.

Funny story about that: We had a small dog, Chewie, in Hoth Dakota who had to go outside in winter. I opened the door and he leapt off the porch into a snow drift and vanished! I ran outside and peered down the doggie-shaped hole in the drift and there was Chewie about two feet down, just patiently waiting for me to get with the program and dig him out. I did so and we walked to a bare patch of ground a few yards away, completed his task, and returned to the warm house. He approached snow drifts cautiously after that.

Well that was a good experience for Chewie and he learned from it. Buttercup is a rescue dog. Before we adopted her, she had sadly been left to live in a basement crate in her own filth for extended periods of time. She doesn't just go out and do her business. She just has to enjoy the relative freedom of the leash and a neighborhood full of dogs so she has to go on long walks to sniff all the other dog scents and mark her territory. We've tried to train her but the most I've accomplished is getting her to pee with minimal sniffing right out front before bed. Even though she hates getting all bundled up, she loves her walks. I sacrificed my lunch shift to take her out to find small areas that had been shoveled or driven through. She'll still jump into snow to smell a bush if she really wants to.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
~Freezing in the Midwest

I have to be careful from now on using the term "brutal winter" because brutal will start to lose some meaning. So far, this has been a truly brutal winter. Having a dog that has to walk twice a day has been difficult.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Having a dog that has to walk twice a day has been difficult.

And this is why we've always been cat people in my family, even before I was born. We've had a Siamese named Gaston (who was a gift to my parents just before I was born), then we had an Abyssinian named Whiskers, then two Burmese cats named Charlie and Misha, then my mom and I surprised my sister with a gift of a Sorrel Abyssinian named Tybalt while she was getting her Masters at UVA. Out of all of them, Tybalt was the most beloved because he had the most personality of all of them. We did have a Cocker Spaniel named Hunter around the same time as we had Whiskers, but the poor thing was as dumb as a box of rocks (we got him from a pet store in the early 80s and we didn't know about puppy mills back then). We loved him, but taking care of him was alot of work. We know from experience that dogs are ALOT more high maintenance than cats.

Pel wrote:
Funny story about that: We had a small dog, Chewie, in Hoth Dakota who had to go outside in winter. I opened the door and he leapt off the porch into a snow drift and vanished! I ran outside and peered down the doggie-shaped hole in the drift and there was Chewie about two feet down, just patiently waiting for me to get with the program and dig him out.

I love how some pets just have that look on their faces that says "Oi! Human! I'm waiting on you to figure this out!" Sometimes, there really are some animals that are smarter than some humans. But that's still hilarious that your dog leaped into a snowdrift and sank so far in that he disappeared from view. That's like something out of a cartoon. Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not cannibalism since they don't eat other Ewoks.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Yeeeeeah, I don't think that definition will fly in a galaxy with literally millions of sapient/sentient species. After all, would any (honest) court in the GFFA rule that it's not cannibalism if a Duros ate the meat of a human? Or if a human ate Wookiee meat? Or if a Chiss ate Ithorian meat? In a universe with so many different sentint species, I think it would be inevitable that cannibalism's definition would be expanded from "eating your own kind" to "eating any sentient creature."

It's still a funny picture, though.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were going to cook Luke, Chewie, and Han. What did the Rebels expect? I didn't see any livestock roaming the Ewok village...
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
They were going to cook Luke, Chewie, and Han. What did the Rebels expect? I didn't see any livestock roaming the Ewok village...

Ewoks! Making cannibalism cute since 1983!
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:

Yeeeeeah, I don't think that definition will fly in a galaxy with literally millions of sapient/sentient species. After all, would any (honest) court in the GFFA rule that it's not cannibalism if a Duros ate the meat of a human? Or if a human ate Wookiee meat? Or if a Chiss ate Ithorian meat? In a universe with so many different sentint species, I think it would be inevitable that cannibalism's definition would be expanded from "eating your own kind" to "eating any sentient creature."

Ewoks live in a nature sanctuary. They are not subject to galactic law. And it is not a morality issue for them - Ewoks think only Ewoks are sentient. And Threepio. They are primitive, so they don't know better. Ewok law forbids Ewoks from eating other Ewoks, which is their definition of cannibalism. And after the Battle of Endor, it was a matter of practicality - What else could you do with all those bodies but eat them?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Ewoks live in a nature sanctuary.

The reference to the "Sanctuary Moon" was just a throwaway line by Palpatine in ROTJ. The stuff about it being an actual nature sanctuary is Legends, not canon.

Whill wrote:
They are not subject to galactic law.

Well, with the Empire involved, it's not like the the rule of law of a despotic military dictatorship has any legitimacy anyway. The Empire still invaded Endor to make their base and planetary shield and the second Death Star without involving the Ewoks' legal rights, so it's not like the Ewoks could make any sort of legal appeals even if they had access to lawyers, could they? If the Empire doesn't care about your rights, galactic law is irrelevant and illegitimate. Well, since the Empire is a dictatorship, its law is still irrelevant and illegitimate even if it does care about your rights (which is probably rare enough in any case).

But even in the era of the New Republic, if you're right that the Ewoks aren't subject to galactic law, I guess there's nothing preventing anyone from gathering a posse of sorts and killing a few Ewoks in retaliation for killing and eating a few humans or Duros or Wookiees or Chiss or Ithorians....

Whill wrote:
And it is not a morality issue for them - Ewoks think only Ewoks are sentient. And Threepio. They are primitive, so they don't know better. Ewok law forbids Ewoks from eating other Ewoks, which is their definition of cannibalism.

I dunno, after the Battle of Endor was over (and especially after Threepio made his plea on behalf of the Rebels; the novelization gives this in much greater detail, especially when Wicket of all people gives a speech to the Ewok Elders that finally convinces them to help the Rebels), when we see all the Ewoks and the Rebels celebrating together, it certainly seems like they regard each other as sentient people. We all love our pets, but how often have you celebrated a military victory complete with dancing and music with your puppy or your kitty or your goldfish? It's kinda hard to celebrate anything with your friends if you think your friends aren't sentient people. That kind of thing could get really awkward... Razz

Whill wrote:
And after the Battle of Endor, it was a matter of practicality - What else could you do with all those bodies but eat them?

Burying them comes to mind. Cremating them is another thought. After all, those two options are what civilized people have done with their dead for thousands of years. Razz

But then again, we're dealing with Stone Age teddy bears, so yeah, maybe those Ewoks aren't all that civilized after all. Laughing
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
...it's not like the Ewoks could make any sort of legal appeals even if they had access to lawyers

Ewok Lawyers. Every argument ends with 'yub yub'.

It also occurs to me that if you've got an Ewok for a lawyer, just plead guilty and throw yourself on the mercy of the court (if any).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

This didn't age well. We caught a foot of snow yesterday. Someone was saying it's Redding's biggest snowfall in 50 years.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
...it's not like the Ewoks could make any sort of legal appeals even if they had access to lawyers

Ewok Lawyers. Every argument ends with 'yub yub'.

It also occurs to me that if you've got an Ewok for a lawyer, just plead guilty and throw yourself on the mercy of the court (if any).

There's an old lawyer joke that the man who represents himself in court without his own lawyer (i.e. pro se) has a fool for a client.

Which reminds me of Obi-Wan snarking at Han when they get out of the smuggling compartment: "Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool that follows it?"

So now I ask: Who's the more foolish, the man who represents himself in court or the man who lets an Ewok be his lawyer? Shocked
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
The reference to the "Sanctuary Moon" was just a throwaway line by Palpatine in ROTJ. The stuff about it being an actual nature sanctuary is Legends, not canon.
I dunno, after the Battle of Endor was over (and especially after Threepio made his plea on behalf of the Rebels; the novelization gives this in much greater detail, especially when Wicket of all people gives a speech to the Ewok Elders that finally convinces them to help the Rebels), when we see all the Ewoks and the Rebels celebrating together, it certainly seems like they regard each other as sentient people.

So you make it a point to bring up that the moon of Endor being a nature preserve is only Legends, but then you refer to the Legends novelization? I think there's a flaw in your argument, counselor. LOL.

And Canon is not inherently superior to Legends. It's a Star Wars Multiverse. The game featured on this website is actually the primary foundation of the EU. Even FFG's current RPG is almost completely based on Legends, but it is officially "ambiguously canon".

And even in Canon, Palpatine called it "the Sanctuary Moon" for a reason, even if the reason has not been canonized yet. The nature preserve/prime directive explanation makes sense for any Star Wars universe. And it was the perfect place to build Death Star II - A forbidden moon in a restricted system known for navigational hazards and thus is avoided.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 6 of 37

Jump to: