The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is Maximum Range?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> What is Maximum Range? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
But for baddies, (A) Brainwashing as an advanced skill in intimidation.. Or that one for interrogation?

I've never heard of these, so I'm assuming they are homebrew. And if they're that problematic, I'd say it's simpler to tweak the skills to make them less powerful than to tweak the entire Advanced Skill system to fit.

I forget where brainwashing came from, might have been on of the AJs, but interrogation iirc came from one of the Crackens.

Yes. There is an (A) Brainwashing skill and it is in one of the "bad guy" source books. I don't remember the effects of the skill. Only that it's prerequisite was Intimidation 4D. The reason I remember it is because I remember noticing that the prereq was 4D instead of 5D.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a reference for that? Without any specifics, it sounds grossly overpowered.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truce at Bakura Sourcebook page 142 and 143. Prerequisite: Intimidation 5D

Quote:
I don't remember the effects of the skill.

Well, if you roll high enough beating targer's perception of willpower, you make somebody to do something that will clearly result in death of target's close friends or family.
It's like Affect Mind/Control Mind for non-Force sensitive.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking Maximum range you can actually use your skill with some form of chance to succeed, or are we talking about the maximum range the bolt/projectile actually travels.

If we look at the .50cal HMG we see the effective range to 1800meters and max range to 2500meter.

This was said in another post here, and it made me wonder about the above question.

A .50cal projectile is deadly beyone "max" aim range.
we we look at some of the recod sniper shots, we see snipers with .50cal rifles firing well beyond the rifle's listed maximum range, but still well short of the actual travel distance of the projectile.

I heard when i was in the army back in the stone age, that my HK G3 rifle in 7.62N had an effective range upto 500 meters and max upto 900 meters, but we also learned the bullet could kill well beyond 1500meters.

So I was wondering about max range and orbital space combat where turbolaser bolts miss the target, where do they go do they hit the planet below, to me that is the "max" range.

Or as my Sergeant said " max range is when the bullet stops flying"
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, we aren't playing in a realistic world, but a cinematic one, where crazy things happen at heroically appropriate moments. Combined with existing range numbers (relatively short compared to the real world), this isn't really a problem.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Truce at Bakura Sourcebook page 142 and 143. Prerequisite: Intimidation 5D

Quote:
I don't remember the effects of the skill.

Well, if you roll high enough beating targer's perception of willpower, you make somebody to do something that will clearly result in death of target's close friends or family.
It's like Affect Mind/Control Mind for non-Force sensitive.

Interesting. Having read it, I'm disinclined to believe it can work in just minutes.

Either way, it definitely does not read like a skill a PC would have a use for during a game.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Are we talking Maximum range you can actually use your skill with some form of chance to succeed, or are we talking about the maximum range the bolt/projectile actually travels.

If we look at the .50cal HMG we see the effective range to 1800meters and max range to 2500meter.

This was said in another post here, and it made me wonder about the above question.

A .50cal projectile is deadly beyone "max" aim range.
we we look at some of the recod sniper shots, we see snipers with .50cal rifles firing well beyond the rifle's listed maximum range, but still well short of the actual travel distance of the projectile.

I heard when i was in the army back in the stone age, that my HK G3 rifle in 7.62N had an effective range upto 500 meters and max upto 900 meters, but we also learned the bullet could kill well beyond 1500meters.

So I was wondering about max range and orbital space combat where turbolaser bolts miss the target, where do they go do they hit the planet below, to me that is the "max" range.

Or as my Sergeant said " max range is when the bullet stops flying"

Interesting. The US army says that .50 BMG is "effective" to 1500m and "maximum" range is over 4000m. My drill sergeant used to say: "If I can see it, I can shoot it."

I believe that a Canadian sniper made a .50 cal shot at over 2000m back in 2004.

And Carlos Hathcock is credited with using an M2 to make a sniper kill at over 1500m.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4000 meters is well withing reason, i would not be surprised to see 5000 either.

And as mentioned the max range seems to vary according to scourse.

So my question is if the debte is about actual physical ranges, or the ranges to the extreme maximum you can use skills for.

So is the max as far as the bullet actually goes or as far as you can shoot the weapon with "a chance to hit".
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see maximum range as the ability to hit, even with a blaster bolt. Scopes or sights will change the ability of the weapon to hit. John Wick is a great example: he uses a scope at range but switches to a side-mounted dot for close-in shooting.

The dot increases accuracy over iron sights (or no sights), but has a shorter maximum range, 200-300m.

A scope is great out to a long distance, but is not feasible at close range, 100m minimum. Maximum is dependent on the scope power.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interpret "maximum range" as the greatest distance at which the attack (blaster bolt, bullet, or whatever) can deal damage.

Accuracy over distance is simply an indicator of how skilled (or, in most cases, lucky) you'd have to be to deliver a damaging hit.

One way to represent the diminishing capacity to deal damage at range is to apply an attack roll penalty that increases with distance. This simulates the need to land a more "critical" shot (i.e. a "head shot" or a shot through soft tissue into the vitals, etc) in order to deal damage worth rolling. A miss simply could mean that the shot "hit" but did not penetrate deep enough to faze the target.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: