The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rancor Pit stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Rancor Pit stats Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Rancor Pit stats Reply with quote

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=187785#187785

Quote:
At the Rancor Pit in December, there were 6,163 unique visitors. 24,267 visits. 122,920 pages visited. 39,160 of the pages visited were visited by users in the USA. The Rancor Pit is also very popular in France.

In January 2019, the Rancor Pit had 5,936 unique visitors, with 15,878 total visits and 89,081 total pages visited.

cheshire wrote:
I really like seeing these stats. Is there any way I could see a screenshot of the more detailed rundown? I'm especially interested in the documents people are downloading.

This ended up being more difficult than I thought. As you can see in the January 2019 Downloads below, the full downloads document names are cut off. I could widen the Downloads column on the chart but it only created space after the file names which never changed where the ellipses begin. I researched online about how to adjust it and I just could not come up with anything that works. And I probably shouldn't have created all the files with spaces in the names because the system just adds the "%20"s so each space takes up three characters and it is not easy to read, but I didn't think of taking out the spaces when I created the Document Library page and it would be a lot of hassle to redo everything now. So I'm sorry that sharing this every month doesn't seem very practical.

Anyway, the Hits are the number of complete downloads, and the 206 Hits are the partial/interrupted downloads. The two 6s and one 8 could represent interrupted downloads that ended up being completed. Interrupted downloads used to be a lot higher but they are almost non-existent now. The top download for the second month in a row is the Saga Unknown Regions conversions document.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised that the conversion guides still seem to be as popular as they are. Gry, Forceally, and I finished those up nearly a decade ago.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it that long ago....? geez I'm getting old
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly doesn't FEEL like 10 years have passed..
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my local files. I started working on conversion rubrics for starships in 2007. We had our first file go live in 2008. The Galaxy of Intrigue conversion came out in May of 2010, and it looks like I created the index for the final products in 2011. So it's only been nine years since the last book. Eight since the index. But most of it was done between 2008-2009.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'm kind of surprised that the conversion guides still seem to be as popular as they are. Gry, Forceally, and I finished those up nearly a decade ago.

True but they only just became more easily downloadable through the Pit. Before the RP Library, the difficult 4shared download links were buried in threads.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but there are still alternate means of downloading them. Still, it seems like the downloads are fairly high traffic even with "competing" download links out there. That's what kind of surprised me.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
True, but there are still alternate means of downloading them. Still, it seems like the downloads are fairly high traffic even with "competing" download links out there. That's what kind of surprised me.

Of course, there have always been multiple other sources to get most of these documents. But these documents having 46-101 downloads are not that surprising when you consider that in the same time period the site had nearly 6,000 unique visitors with well over 15,000 total visits. Comparing the download numbers to that, only a small fraction of visitors are downloading any documents. Out of the much larger number of visitors not downloading any documents, yes we can presume that a good number of those already have all the documents they want from here or other sources. But with the visitor numbers as big as they are, it is statically safe to presume that every month those visitor numbers include a number of brand new visitors to the site and visitors that don't already have every document they want from other sources. And I'm sure there are occasional computer crashes and people come to rebuild their collections, and people that just can't find documents so download them again. In January, 1768 RP web pages were accessed directly from Google.com searches, and that is just the primary Google so that number doesn't include Google Canada, Google UK, etc. The least downloaded document in January, D6 Fantasy, had 5 full downloads.

I see almost every post here and I had no idea this website got that much traffic until I searched out these stats to report AJ download numbers. Now I am well aware that the VAST majority of visitors here are lurkers who do not ever post. Looking back to when I took over the Pit, we got similar numbers of visitors from all over the world, well before the Library existed. Since a lot of the monthly unique visitors are definitely repeat visitors from the previous months, the Rancor Pit is a major worldwide hub for our niche little hobby of Star Wars D6. I'm sure we get new lurkers all the time.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: 2019 Rancor Pit Stats Reply with quote

Quote:
< 90,000 unique visitors

Top Locales
1. United States
2. Great Britain
3. France
4. Canada
5. Norway
6. Germany

Top OSs
1. Macintosh
2. Windows
3. Linux

Top Browsers
1. Firefox
2. Google Chrome
3. Opera
4. Safari

Top Downloads
1. The Old Republic (Galaxy Guide 16)
2. Rogue One ("Galaxy Guide 13")
3. Corellian Engineering Corporation Compendium
4. Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide - stat conversions
5. Aliens Stats - compilation
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story D6 RPG

I'm surprised that Unknown Regions stat conversions document downloads dropped off a lot this year. All of the above documents were downloaded 750-1000 times last year.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 Unique Visitors ≈ 10,097
    2019 Unique Visitors ≈ 90,137
    February 2020 Unique Visitors ≈ 12,570

The Rancor Pit has experienced an increase in traffic since I took over as admin at the end of 2017. These numbers do not include robots, worms, and spiders.

In 2019 we had almost 9 times the number of unique visitors in 2018.

Last month was the highest traffic month for the Rancor Pit on record, more unique visitors in a single 29-day month than in the entire year of 2018.

"The Rancor Pit... Lurkers love us!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the closingn of G+ and the reprint of the 1st edition to be the main culprits.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
I'd say the closingn of G+ and the reprint of the 1st edition to be the main culprits.

You mean for the upsurge of 2019 over 2018, right? What about February 2020? Any insight to that?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
OuttaWindu wrote:

You mean for the upsurge of 2019 over 2018, right? What about February 2020? Any insight to that?

The upcoming release of Starships & Speeders causing people to google for starship stats, plus a surge of interest in Star Wars in general due to the announcement of the High Republic stuff and the release of Clone Wars season seven.
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Wow, I absolutely didn't pay attention there. If you had seen the sure in the last week or two, I'd have suggested COVID19, but I have no idea.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
The upcoming release of Starships & Speeders causing people to google for starship stats, plus a surge of interest in Star Wars in general due to the announcement of the High Republic stuff and the release of Clone Wars season seven.

LOL, it used to be that films caused a surge in general interest in Star Wars. TRoS is still in the theater in my city, but it was still in the theater in a lot more places in February. But the High Republic announcement and the start of TCW s7 were near the end of the month and there definitely was an uptick in visits to the Pit around the time, so you are probably right about those being factors. Lurkers love us.

OuttaWindu wrote:
Wow, I absolutely didn't pay attention there. If you had seen the sure in the last week or two, I'd have suggested COVID19, but I have no idea.

I did post my TRoS thoughts and reactions piece on Feb 10th and shared the link to it externally quite a bit. I heard back from a couple people that they passed it on. Unfortunately, the web stats I have do not break it down per thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: