The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Crisis on Cloud City Help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Crisis on Cloud City Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Crisis on Cloud City Help Reply with quote

Any help/tips/suggestions for the big sabacc scene? I have the original cards but it seems kinda intense to role play the scene out.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Crisis on Cloud City Help Reply with quote

I moved this to the Adventures forum.

Chord wrote:
Any help/tips/suggestions for the big sabacc scene? I have the original cards but it seems kinda intense to role play the scene out.

It's been many years but I've ran this adventure a few times. For some reason I've never used the cards and I instead just used the RAW gambling rules and role played it out. What do you mean by kinda intense to role play?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I as the GM have to RP multiple characters playing the game as well as ensuring the clues are given out, etc. just seems like on top of the card game a lot. But I know my players will enjoy the card game
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chord wrote:
Seems like I as the GM have to RP multiple characters playing the game as well as ensuring the clues are given out, etc. just seems like on top of the card game a lot. But I know my players will enjoy the card game

That could be why we didn't use the card game in the adventure. I don't remember now but yeah I agree that could be too much. Some players and I so have also played the card game on its own outside of the RPG, but never in game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never used the cards either and just made some Gambling rolls as we didn't really want to stop the game and play cards. If you really want to use them, my advice is to try sabacc separately before your session and see if you and the players like it. If not, you can always fall back on the dice.
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you handle just dice rolling? Was it just a series of rolls?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gamed it out, announcing each hand, with opposed Gambling rolls and a bit of commentary for flavor. Pretty standard stuff.
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm not following, what do you mean by announcing each hand?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. We rolled each hand separately, just like you would for poker. Each round, or hand, was resolved by Gambling rolls and a bit of roleplaying and banter, then we announced a new round, rinsed and repeated until the scene was done. If memory serves we played about 9 hands before the fight broke out, because we had four players (plus NPCs) and there was some good conversation occurring so I let it play out. Pun intended.

In a homebrew adventure (which I'd forgotten about until my brother reminded me today) we chucked sabacc and just played poker with the GM as dealer. No dice rolls there, we just played a few hands and it was a nice interlude because everyone was familar with the rules. Turns out our Jedi player was a cardsharp who took everyone's credits!

Does that answer your question?
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
No worries. We rolled each hand separately, just like you would for poker. Each round, or hand, was resolved by Gambling rolls and a bit of roleplaying and banter, then we announced a new round, rinsed and repeated until the scene was done. If memory serves we played about 9 hands before the fight broke out, because we had four players (plus NPCs) and there was some good conversation occurring so I let it play out. Pun intended.

In a homebrew adventure (which I'd forgotten about until my brother reminded me today) we chucked sabacc and just played poker with the GM as dealer. No dice rolls there, we just played a few hands and it was a nice interlude because everyone was familar with the rules. Turns out our Jedi player was a cardsharp who took everyone's credits!

Does that answer your question?

What do you mean by roll each hand? can you pls explain? My group has taken to playing over Roll20 so the cards can't be used.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chord wrote:
Pel wrote:
We rolled each hand separately, just like you would for poker. Each round, or hand, was resolved by Gambling rolls...

What do you mean by roll each hand? can you pls explain? My group has taken to playing over Roll20 so the cards can't be used.

That's what he means. Roll the Gambling skill for each hand of the game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think rolling Gambling:Sabaac for each hand is good and simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: