The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cross Species Adoption
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Cross Species Adoption
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Cross Species Adoption Reply with quote

There have been several instances of Humans being raised by aliens, or raising aliens as their family.
The mandalorian culture is known for this, and at least before disney canon ( wich I think have not really changed this) was a culture where you could find human and alien alike in the sman clan.

What i wonder is what if any of the "adoptive parent" species traits the child will have.

I look at the chiss just as an example.

Special Abilities:
Low Light Vision: Chiss can see twice as far as a normal
human in poor lighting conditions.

- I see this Low Light Vision as a biological trait of the chiss, adoption would not grant this biological trait.

Skill Bonuses: At the time of character creation only, Chiss
characters gain 2D for every one die they assign to the
tactics, command, and scholar: art skills.

- I see this as a cultural thing, depending on your place within the chiss acendancy, and if you are an artist or military. As such I could see this being
allowed by the adoptive child raised withing the culture.

Tactics: Chiss characters receive a permanent +1D bonus to
all tactics skill rolls.

- As tot the chiss in particular, i don't know about this one, if it is considered some natural aptitude or again if it is cultural.

In short what story factors and special abilities f any would be allowed through adoption?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiss are difficult. They may be genetically engineered humans, depending on what origin story is 'true' in your setting.

Anyhow, consider Lorrdians. Some consider them "Near-Humans", but they're genetically identical to baseline humans. Yet, they have a Body Language Story Factor. The way I see it, any human raised as a Lorrdian should be able to get that Story Factor.

Similarly with adoption. If it is a cultural trait, then that's something that the character should be able to have - but if it is biological, then it isn't.

It's difficult to adjucate sometimes which is what. Verpine, for instance. It's pretty clear that their organic radio is biological - but is their +2D to TEC biological? Is it a cultural trait? I would tend to think that it ends up being biological, but there's a nature-vs-nurture debate waiting to happen there.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Species Adoption Reply with quote

It's a good question for possible character background considerations. The cultural special abilities are usually going to be skill check bonuses and story factors, which can be recreated without special abilities and instead just giving the character those skills/attributes (but within the species mins and maxes). So in most cases there wouldn't have to be any special game mechanics for cross species adoption. Since Lorrdians are genetically humans, any human born to non-Lorrdian parents but then adopted at an early age and raised by Lorrdians would be a Lorrdian so would just have Lorrdian stats in the first place, no special considerations needed. That fact that he was born to a non-Lorrdian mother and then adopted by Lorrdians would just be pure background.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Species Adoption Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

In short what story factors and special abilities f any would be allowed through adoption?

Most i'd consider locked into the species itself, but very few, i might see as being allowed via adoption.
Examples;

Abyssian - Desert survival, Violent culture
Ayrou - +1d to persuasion, bargain and Investigation from being wiley negotiators, but they'd also pick up the pacifism.

Zarn wrote:

It's difficult to adjucate sometimes which is what. Verpine, for instance. It's pretty clear that their organic radio is biological - but is their +2D to TEC biological? Is it a cultural trait? I would tend to think that it ends up being biological, but there's a nature-vs-nurture debate waiting to happen there.

Exactly. We'd have to go through every race that have those sorts of 'cultural skills' and pick which are Natural, vs Nutured..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do see somewhat "major" variations among humans, all culturally based. Like the corellians and piloting etc.

If we then look at what ever species I would not consider it out of the realm of reason that someone raised in a culture will adopt it.

Now if we take the Hapans, which are considered human despite their night blindness and their overly beauty.
Here I see both as Biological traits and nothing that would carry over. As well a regular human born in the hapes cluster would be that human and "maybe" not yet have adapted to the light conditions.

I am intrigued by things like what would a 1/2 Morellian be like, now they are more or less slightly low tech super long lived humans but will a 1/2 human/morellian live longer than a regular human, I doubt they would live as lng as a full blooded morellian etc.

So the question is this, would a LORRDIAN raised on Corellia get the corellian plioting bonus ( as there is no reason he would loose his species language). And wht if there is a Biological trait, like a specias with a natura aptitude for piloting (Biological) would they then benefit from a cultural one as well?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think loordians raised outside of Lordia wouldn't lose their language thing? Do you see That as being more biological rather than cultural?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Why do you think loordians raised outside of Lordia wouldn't lose their language thing? Do you see That as being more biological rather than cultural?

I meant they would not, becuse as i see it is a sociobiological adaptation, but one that would require a while to adapt.
I would say that any human that have been raised as Lorrdian in this case could have learned this (for free).

However Like the Hapan's bad night vision, this is most likely an adaptation over eons, and thus a human born there would not have this trait, but speak the language. And naturally not get the +1D to "charm" skills.

Now where i am at a loss concerning any possible cultural cross over would be a human raised on Zeltros, by Zeltrons as a Zeltron.
Now the human would not have the empathy thingie or the feromones or other biological bonuses, but given in that case (Zeltrons and maybe others, like wroonians etc) where the culture is based on the "skills" given by the biological adaptations, would it be reasoble for a human to have a lower maybe a +1 or even +2 bonus to some Perception skills, reflecting their effort in "overcomming" what would be in ther case a weakness in a forign culture.

So if we look to the Duros, they are very starship savvy with a great bonus.
To me it sounds like this is a natural aptitude, and thus a human raised among them would be less adept but would work harder to try and over come, hense a Duros adopted human will get a +1 or +2 bonus to the same skills as the duros.

While a duros raised on corellia would imo excell and actually get BOTH the corellian bonus and his species aptiuted bonuses, even if this raises his pilot (starhship skill) to the extreme.

A Human raised among Twi'Lek could imo learn to understand the lekku language, to a limited degree, but naturally would never be able to "speak" it etc.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as i suggested, we'd need to go through all the races with 'racial specific skill bonuses' (not things like claws, fins etc), to figure out which are 'racial based vs cultural based.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So as i suggested, we'd need to go through all the races with 'racial specific skill bonuses' (not things like claws, fins etc), to figure out which are 'racial based vs cultural based.

I'd suggest going even further; convert all "alien stats" over to a series of modifiers that are applied to base template stats, separating out biological and cultural traits, much like how D&D does stat modifiers for different races. Of course, that would result in players playing toward their character race's stereotypes by stacking stat bonuses, but at the same time, it would make sense for, say, a Wroonian to get a +1 pip modifier to their Mech skill, since their species stats allow for this. That way, you could get a Brash Pilot with a 4D+1 Mech skill, reflecting both the Wroonian traits and Brash Pilot tendencies.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also note that you might have a Story Factor of "Not What I Expected"... if your Wookie was raised by Rodians, they're gonna be a bit different than a wookie raised by wookies. For example, I can't see rodians having a single problem with their wookie using their claws in the hunt.

Or a Klingon raised by humans... you might have some that are fairly human (K'Ehleyr), and others that try to prove that they are "real" Klingons (Worf).

(Yes, I know K'Ehleyr is half-klingon... but that's beside the point for my purposes.)
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked about it here.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Wookiee raised by Squibs.

This could be a plot hook all on it's own.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
A Wookiee raised by Squibs.

This could be a plot hook all on it's own.

Squibs are cute because they're 1 meter tall and mostly harmless. An ADHD Wook with no concept of other people's property or personal space isn't a plot hook. That's a menace. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: