The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

More than 2D to a skill at creation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> More than 2D to a skill at creation.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: More than 2D to a skill at creation. Reply with quote

I have been looking at species that get bonus dice directly, like the Anzati who get +1D to their hide and Sneak skill.

The duros spceship intuition and the like.

At creation the player is limited to raising a sill by a max of 2D
for a Pilot this is max 6D

Now a duros get 1D as 2D, so if he chooses to place 1D he gets 6D from that, however if he can not go above 6D, then the duros is not a better pilot.
He is then forced to place 1D in another pilot skill making that too 6D for two piloting skills at 6D.

Now he is a more veristile pilot, has a broader specter of ships he can handle, but his SKILL is the exact same as anyone else starting.¨

So this makes me wonder, are these bonuses on top of the 2D maximum.
this will allow a duros to start with 7D in piloting over 6D for human, making the spcecies a Better spacefaring race.

Same with the anzati, their race is known to be stealthy ( not that cre about the species though) and they +1D to sneak and hide.
Reading that I see a +1D bonus to the skill, again making me think this skill can be raised by 3D.

Human with 4D Perception can have 6D hide, and anzat with a bonus +1D to hide can only have 6D if sticking by the max 2D rule, negating all such species bonuses.

So the sneaky anzati can have +3D max to those two skills, but a +2D max to the rest.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always add racial bonuses after the base skill. If the Anzati players wants to add +2D to their initial sneak during character creation, that's fine. We then add an addtional +1D bonus to their sneak after that.

So:
  • Anzati with 4D Perception
  • Sneak starts at 4D
  • +2D Sneak improvement during charater creation
  • Sneak = 6D
  • +1D Sneak bonus whenever rolling, regardless of what base skill is.

That way the character always gets the bonus and it keeps the paperwork straight. Now we have a really sneaky Anzati.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Pel's got it. There are skill bonuses at char gen, and there are in-play bonuses. The 2-for-1 things are char gen. The +1D bonus to all sneak rolls thing is in-play, so that is always on top of whatever the skill currently is when rolled. You don't figure in the species bonus when you record your skill on your character sheet. The +1D is separate in special abilities and you just add it to your recorded skill value only when you roll it.

And every time it is brought up I am compelled to mention that the 2-for-1 skill allocation dice at char gen bonus that Duros and other species have is severely broken. If you care even the slightest bit about game balance, I strongly recommend all GMs doing away with it.

(1) It is a variable bonus depending on how many dice you put in those skills, so some Duros PCs aren't equal to even other Duros PCs.
(2) It's a munckin's wet dream to make a Duros pilot and end up with significantly more starting skill dice than all other PCs.

Solutions? I would suggest just giving Duros PCs a flat starting skill bonus of xD that can be allocated among those skills only. The normal rules of not exceeding 2D to any one skill apply, so these are just normal starting skill dice except that they are limited to certain skills. Duros PCs tend to have high MEC so even with a 2D skill allocation limit, those skills can still be pretty high. The other more powerful option is to make them the in-play bonuses on top of their skill value when the dice are rolled, but I would still suggest limiting it to 4 of those skills.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I always add racial bonuses after the base skill. If the Anzati players wants to add +2D to their initial sneak during character creation, that's fine. We then add an addtional +1D bonus to their sneak after that.

So:
  • Anzati with 4D Perception
  • Sneak starts at 4D
  • +2D Sneak improvement during charater creation
  • Sneak = 6D
  • +1D Sneak bonus whenever rolling, regardless of what base skill is.

That way the character always gets the bonus and it keeps the paperwork straight. Now we have a really sneaky Anzati.

Same here. The Racial +1 d in XYZ, is taken After the player's done his skill allocations.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the duro starship intition allow him to go to a +3D (not the normal +2D) at creation?

A duro can allocate 1D to relevant skills he get this doubled basically, (2D for every 1D)

His MEC of 4D+2 (same as a wroonian captain, a race not know as awesome sapcers)

So the duro has 4D+2 in Mex.

He alocates 1D to Starfighter piloting 4D to 5D+2 ( his bonus gives him 6D+2) how does this make the duro a superiaor spcer say than a human 6D in skill, or a wroonian with no such bonus 6D+2.

Howver if the Duro can allocate upto 2D to a skill and then DOUBLE the 1D he cn get one skill ( the one chosen) to a max of attribute +3D, over the normal attribute +2D.

I would argue regardless of the bonus a 4D Mech Duro who can not have more than +2D to skill is NOT better spacer than a human with the exact same +2D to skill.

This nullifies imo the duro special ability.

I would go with this

Duro
MEC: 4D+2
Starfighter Piloting 7D+2 (1D +1Dx2)

Wroonian captain
MEC 4D+2
Starfighter piloting 6D+2 (1D+1D)

Now th duro is the superior pilot. if not his whole +1D is void
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necssarily, Mamatried. It could also be that Duros are superior pilots in that they take less effort to reach that level... a human pilot will have a 6D in piloting, but not weapons, shields, etc... he'll spread himself too thin. The Duros can be a great pilot AND a few other things, because "great pilot" is a lesser investment of resources.

Not saying this is necessarily so... just that there are aspects of being a better pilot that come through despite the cap.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Not necssarily, Mamatried. It could also be that Duros are superior pilots in that they take less effort to reach that level... a human pilot will have a 6D in piloting, but not weapons, shields, etc... he'll spread himself too thin. The Duros can be a great pilot AND a few other things, because "great pilot" is a lesser investment of resources.

Not saying this is necessarily so... just that there are aspects of being a better pilot that come through despite the cap.

True. Versatility is a good trait.
And yes he will have gunnery, shields to allocate 1D between
However he will not outfly, outperfom any other pilot, and this is where i think that pilot focused duro will do due to his affinity, more so than a regular pilot with no such affinity.

I have a knack and extra ordianry talent for piloting, but I am at par with any other pilot out there...........or since i have this knack for piloting i outperform most other pilots unless they are very specialized.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: