The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Last Jedi - Thoughts and Reactions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Last Jedi - Thoughts and Reactions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That won't work; space combat has to use SUs to fit with the system.

For the purpose of being targeted and chased I would treat bombers as stationary targets - only range penalty.

CRMcNeill wrote:
More appropriate would be a rule that Fire Control suffers penalties based on how fast the bomber is moving; the faster the bomber, the harder it is to get the free-fall bombs to accurately deploy to hit the target.

Yes for traditional bomb runs. But for the purposes of hitting a ship of app. 7.5 km long with a low attitude approach - it's hard to miss.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Yes for traditional bomb runs. But for the purposes of hitting a ship of app. 7.5 km long with a low attitude approach - it's hard to miss.

Pretty sure the goal was to hit a specific part of a 7.5km long ship. That's just a tad harder.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That's cool, but do the sharks have laser beams on their heads?
Darklighter79 wrote:
New Skill: Aquatic Beast Gunnery

I almost made the Dr. Evil joke, but I didn't remember if the sharks had frikken laser beams attacked to their heads. I guess they did!

And I think there may have been some ill-tempered mutated sea bass as well.

https://youtu.be/Bh7bYNAHXxw?t=24

8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

Pretty sure the goal was to hit a specific part of a 7.5km long ship. That's just a tad harder.

Maybe, but it still doesn't justify them moving THAT damn slow.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

The bomber scene in TLJ is another reason why I found that movie disappointing: they act like classic WWII bombers operating in an atmosphere and/or a gravity well. I mean, a space bomber where the bombs just roll down a rack to hit its target...in space? Where there's no gravity? I was half-expecting the bombs to just float away and do nothing (which would have made Poe's attack even more incompetent than it was, according to some. Considering that the Resistance fleet would have been wiped out if the bombers hadn't attacked that fleet killer, I'm not so sure why Poe got chewed out for sacrificing the bombers to save the fleet. But that's another topic). My head canon/mental justification for that scene was that the bombers use mass drivers to shove those bombs out the bays. Not that the bombs moved fast enough for me if they were indeed being propelled out the bay instead of rolling down a rack....
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

The bomber scene in TLJ is another reason why I found that movie disappointing: they act like classic WWII bombers operating in an atmosphere and/or a gravity well. I mean, a space bomber where the bombs just roll down a rack to hit its target...in space? Where there's no gravity? I was half-expecting the bombs to just float away and do nothing (which would have made Poe's attack even more incompetent than it was, according to some. Considering that the Resistance fleet would have been wiped out if the bombers hadn't attacked that fleet killer, I'm not so sure why Poe got chewed out for sacrificing the bombers to save the fleet. But that's another topic). My head canon/mental justification for that scene was that the bombers use mass drivers to shove those bombs out the bays. Not that the bombs moved fast enough for me if they were indeed being propelled out the bay instead of rolling down a rack....

About this bomb drop. Actually, no magnetism is needed here (at least for the drop, maybe for the guidance) as the gravity is present. Instead of a long elaborate, please watch this guy as he explains it. Enjoy Laughing
I recommend the whole material as two more issues are addressed there.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
...I'm planning to see Aquaman this weekend. Judging by the ticket sales and reviews, it seems to be doing really well.

You'll like it. The acting and story are engaging with just the right blend of humor, drama, and action. ILM did the effects and when they first showed Atlantis, my jaw dropped.

There's also another Star Wars connection: Temura Morrison plays Aquaman's dad, although in the beginning he has so much CGI botox you can hardly tell it's him (very distinctive voice, though). Later, they show him unaltered and he's easily recognizable.

Overall it appeared they had a lot of fun making this film and it shows through the production. It's just a good movie.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jango Fett is in Aquaman? Nice, another reason to go see it.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
So Jango Fett is in Aquaman? Nice, another reason to go see it.

Jango Fett is Aquaman's dad.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, and he doesn't get beheaded in this one! The armored sharks are also very cool. No lasers, though.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

I recommend the whole material as two more issues are addressed there.

I just watched this, it was way better than I expected. Thanks for sharing it. "Plot holes" isn't really my problem with the PT. It's more that the characters feel pointless and the old characters are being handled in a way that seems... off. The bombing scene was one of the best bits of cinema as art, out of the two PT movies so far. And tying Rose into it in some way has made her the only compelling sequel character for me.

For me, personally, I can't understand Luke stubbornly wanting to stay on that rock when Chewie and R2 show up in THE Millennium Falcon. I just cannot identify with new-Luke at all. New-Leia's alright but Carrie Fischer had sadly aged in such a way as to break down the movie magic. When I look at new-Leia, all I can see is the troubled life of Carrie Fischer. New-Han and Chewie have their own issues, but I've rambled enough. New-3PO is as awesome as ever. "You probably didn't recognize me because of new arm" was just great.

I do enjoy the ST, or Solo, but, it's the way one enjoys going on the Star Tours ride. It's fun but, it doesn't stick with me when I leave the theater.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: A Star Wars is born Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Sv6fu-udU
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars actor SLAMS The Last Jedi: 'I was in tears, they made my character a JOKE'

Crying or Very sad
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad about Admiral Ackbar.

Magnetism, planet, or no, I think a capital ship like that would generate enough gravity to attract a bomb that close. Or maybe I've just been desensitized to this stuff by 5 fiery fingers of doom seen from all parts of space.

The bombing scene was the best thing about the PT so far for me. It was a really great scene and I am puzzled by the reaction against it compared to other ST things.

In Ye Olde Trilogie, everything pointed to air in space, no one seemed to mind. Fiery Fingers of Doom was a bridge too far for me. But we already have sound and combustion in space, with winged craft banking like airplanes. Falling bombs didn't even register as out of place and I feel like I'm a very tough critic of new SW movies. "Acted like a WWII bomber" is synonymous with "consistent with the aesthetic of Star Wars".
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other thought and/or reaction. How did DJ know about the escaping transports in order to sell out the rebels? Nobody knew about that, it's not like Rose or Finn could have told him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 16 of 22

Jump to: