The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Smallest possible ship to carry a gravity well projector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Smallest possible ship to carry a gravity well projector. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Smallest possible ship to carry a gravity well projector. Reply with quote

Basically how small can you make an interdictor.

Does anyone know what is the minimum size for a ship to carry and use ONE gravity well projector.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looking at the size of a GWP, we see The interdictor is roughly 600m long, and the four pack of GWP's take up roughly 1/3rd the size of the ship between them. So that to Me, puts each at being around 100-120m as a ball. So any ship around 200-300m technically should be able to house one.
Where the issue comes in IMO is on POWER generation.

Would say a Neb-B be able to generate the power needed to operate even just one Grav well? And where exactly would say a Neb B put it?
What about a Rendel Dreadnought?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points.

Indeed it would be power consuming, and i would think a ship the size of a nebulon while it could fit the projector somewhere (maybe) I would think it would need so much more power than what it has that it woud be without guns, much like you question, where the power comes from.

That being said how much more power would the imobilizer generate compared to the heavy cruiser it is based on?
How do the armament compare?

Also how large and how small can a gravity well be, some ships listed with the technology ranges from as little as 190m, to me this seems very small in fact when considering all the needed power.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on what kind of gravity well projector you're looking for. The projectors on the Interdictor have a 150 SU range in all directions. It's conceivable that something with a smaller fire arc or shorter range could be mounted on a smaller platform.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It also depends on what kind of gravity well projector you're looking for. The projectors on the Interdictor have a 150 SU range in all directions. It's conceivable that something with a smaller fire arc or shorter range could be mounted on a smaller platform.

I think this is the case with the much smaller ones, that being said the interdictor cruiser/immobiliser 418 has 4 of them I assume this how they cover 360, or a "ball" arch, so something smaller if it exist could be the thing.

Is there any weapon stats for gravity wells , other than what is on the dreadnaughts and the interdictor?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a variant from the strategy game Star Wars: Rebellion - the CC-7200-Class Interdiction Frigate. While little official information is given outside of game stats, it lacks the obvious domes normally associated with the gravity well projectors on the Immobilizer 418. There is also an earlier version called the CC-2200 Detainer mentioned in the novel Rise of Darth Vader, with little to no information given about its appearance.

When I stated out the CC-7200, because of the missing dome, I decided to make it a Fire Arc: Front projector only, with a single projector equipped instead of four. Likewise, when I stated the CC-2200, I made it a generator instead of a projector, with the gravity well centered on the ship itself.

The Immobilizer's gravity well projectors really do have a lot going on. They have twice the range of a turbolaser, they project a gravity well roughly equal to that of an Earth-type planet, and they can shoot it in any direction relative to the ship itself. There's a lot there that can be trimmed down if you wanted to make a bargain version of the gravity well projector.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed.
I have noticed the CC-2200 is suppoed to be the "little" brother of the CC-7200.

I was thinking with a dome shape, would a "turret" arch be totally unreasonable, over a driectional arch?..

I would think that the imoblizers maybe are "boosted" versions of grav tec.
with them being somewhat turret configurated as to fire arch, as you say they seems to cover it all more or less.

I know that the animated shows and the movies somewhat have canged things around, not sure if this applies to interdictors, but at hyperdrives have been extremely miniaturized, to the point where there TIE Defender HYper drive can be carried with little issues by a adult human.

Could some miniaturation of grav tech, be something, not man portable, maybe even not starfighter portable, but rather something that could be made to fit a ship like the Talon Karrde ( action V) meaning ships around 100m.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I cooked up several years ago:

Gravity Mine
Scale: Starfighter
Cost: 20,000
Availability: 4, X
Length: 8.5 m
Speed: 0 (deployed by mother ship)
Hyperdrive: Special
Hull: 1D
Sensors: Scan: 15
Damage: None
Blast Radius: 20 space units
Weight: 25 tons
Launcher: holds 1 mine.

Game Notes: After deployment in hyperspace, the gravity mine holds position via a specially modified hyperdrive motivator that can hold the device in hyperspace for up to 7 minutes (84 rounds). The mine detonates when it detects the hyperdrive signature of a passing ship, immediately dropping the ship back into real space. This effect is similar to that of the gravity well generators found on Interdictor-class Cruisers. While the effects are not lasting, ideally the fleeing ship can make good its escape while its pursuers attempt to repair any resultant damage and jump to hyperspace once more. After 7 minutes the hyperdrive motivators burn out and the mine’s internal components melt, destroying the device before it can revert to realspace.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I was thinking with a dome shape, would a "turret" arch be totally unreasonable, over a directional arch?..

There's nothing official to go by; my decision to make the projector on the CC-7200 a Front Arc only weapon was based on attempting to explain the absence of an obvious dome ala the Immobilizer. No one has really dealt with the tech of gravity well projectors, but it's not unreasonable to assume that there may be less capable version of the full-up gravity well projectors on the Immobilizer that have made it into production. The CC-7200 was pretty much there for game balance so that the Alliance would have access to interdiction tech, but that game balance isn't as necessary in the RPG, since the players generally aren't engaging the Empire in a stand-up fight.

Quote:
I know that the animated shows and the movies somewhat have changed things around, not sure if this applies to interdictors, but at hyperdrives have been extremely miniaturized, to the point where there TIE Defender Hyperdrive can be carried with little issues by a adult human.

I avoid accepting what we see in Rebels as canon tech. A lot of it is silly, paper-thin plot written by people with a passing understanding of the tech of the old EU. I'm much more inclined to say that the "Defender Hyperdrive" was actually some essential component of the hyperdrive (hyperdrive motivator, perhaps) than to have it actually be the entire drive itself.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
I know that the animated shows and the movies somewhat have changed things around, not sure if this applies to interdictors, but at hyperdrives have been extremely miniaturized, to the point where there TIE Defender Hyperdrive can be carried with little issues by a adult human.

I avoid accepting what we see in Rebels as canon tech. A lot of it is silly, paper-thin plot written by people with a passing understanding of the tech of the old EU. I'm much more inclined to say that the "Defender Hyperdrive" was actually some essential component of the hyperdrive (hyperdrive motivator, perhaps) than to have it actually be the entire drive itself.

I can't just explain away TCW and Rebels. It's far worse than one human hauling a hyperdrive around the dessert. There was an episode where they introduced the B-wing (removing the Verpine and Ackbar from the lore - now it was made by a single Mon Calamari engineer). I think it was that same episode where the small auxiliary space shuttle that the Ghost carried just got a hyperdrive installed on it and poof - It goes from an intra-system shuttle to a lightspeed-capable starship with the mere twist of a hydrospanner. There are all kinds of silly things in that show, like standard TIE fighter cockpits now have room for three people, one of them a large Lasat. The Empire must have Doctor Who tech now. I consider this ridiculous stuff to be an all-out invasion on canon, part of the ongoing kiddifying and dumbing down of Star Wars. But I digress.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me either. I can pick and choose certain facets that can be explained away by tweaking them slightly, but in so many ways, TCW and Rebels are like somebody's crap fan fiction with an unlimited budget. I have, in fact, read fan fiction that I wish Disney would put to screen... But I digress.

While I'm okay with poaching ideas from DisneyWars (there are some great ship concepts in TCW and even in TFA), so much of it just falls by the wayside in my personal canon. And that includes how Rebels introduced the Interdictor and Gravity Well Projectors. That whole sequence was just silly.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Empire must have Doctor Who tech now.

Behold the TIEDIS!

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. That was a nice funny!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Whill wrote:
The Empire must have Doctor Who tech now.

Behold the TIEDIS!

Te he he he he. Laughing
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Thu May 02, 2019 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: