The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Battletech miniatures game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> New Battletech miniatures game
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: New Battletech miniatures game Reply with quote

Catalyst just came out with a MSRP of $69.99 Battletech starter set. It is very reminiscent of all the 90's boxed Battletech starters I ever saw, but updated for nowadays. Online pricing will vary, I've seen it as low as $40, to several hundred for some reason.

Back in the day I had Battletech 3rd Edition, and Citytech 2nd Edition. This game is a box of about the same dimensions as those with the same number of hex-maps and an eerily similar stapled booklet of 'mech record sheets.

However, the maps are less repetitive now. Battletech came with 2x Map A, and Citytech came with 2x Map B. Whereas this game has 1x double-sided Map C & D, and 1x double-sided Map E & F. So you get 2 maps with 4 graphics instead of 2 maps with 1 graphic.

In addition to the black and white stapled booklet of photocopy-able stat sheets, you get nice slick cards for the 'mechs in the box and similar glossy modern cards for 8 different pilots. If you don't want to use photocopied record sheets, you can put a clear card sleeve over these and mark off damage, heat, etc. with a wipe-able marker of some kind.

The rules are very similar to the old ones I remember, from what I've read so far, but written in a way that's much easier to digest. It's also a full color book, as is the fashion now.

Besides the rulebook and 'mech record sheet booklet, which were the only books in ye olde starters, this game comes with a novella to get you into the vast array of Battletech fiction that's out there, and a full color "crash course" booklet that contains no rules, only universe background. Similar to the old Codex Imperialis from Warhammer 40k's second edition.

The miniatures are of course the big draw. My old Battletech 3rd Edition box in the 90's had 14 plastic 'mechs, or Citytech had 16 plastic 'mechs and a sheet of chits to use for infantry, tanks, etc. Prior editions of both had carboard standee 'mechs. This set combines the best of all the above. You get 8 plastic 'mechs that are way nicer than anything from the 90's sets, both in terms of posing and of the quality of the plastic itself. The old 'mechs were that awful soft plastic like Airfix guys are made of, it was virtually impossible to get primer to stick to it. These figures are well posed compared to the 90's ones, and fun to paint for novice and experienced painted alike. I'm known for disliking the overly-dynamic poses of many modern minis, and hating the absurd level of detail that auto-cad has led sculptors to indulge in. These 'mechs are a good happy medium.

Now, 8 'mechs is enough to play, as this game is designed for 1-4 per player. But in case you really want to play bigger battles, they include several additional carboard standee 'mechs like in the earlier editions of the game. Also a few punch-out carboard hills and ponds to endlessly alter your hex-maps.

From what I've read through so far, there are no rules for infantry and other units. But they do include rules for designing your own Battlemechs so you'll never run out of new things to play with. There's additional rulebooks being printed for this game, which may or may not have rules for non-mech units.

I sold my old stuff for this game several years ago to someone who was a much bigger fan than I am, and never regretted it. But I have been on the fence about getting back into Battletech someday, and this set pushed me over the edge. I once again own Battletech like a true 80's-90's scifi miniature gamer.

If you only had a few bucks to spend and wanted a scifi wargame, I think this one is presently the best value at around $60. You could get Star Wars: Legion (which I also love) for $90 but that's just a starter set, you'll need at least a 2nd starter set and whatever 2 or 3 expansions ($15 to $50 each) tickle your fancy, in order to really play proper games of SW: Legion. Whereas Battletech is a complete game for $60ish.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they do anything to speed up the tabletop game? Our sessions used to take days.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Did they do anything to speed up the tabletop game? Our sessions used to take days.

Yes! Allegedly. They specifically say so anyways. Something or other about getting "a whole days game into an hour or two" though I am paraphrasing. But I haven't been able to finish reading the rules let alone play a test game yet. I'm done reading turn order, and about halfway through movement. Seems like every time I've tried to read it since, someone needs me.

I was thinking yesterday, the full color carboard standup battlemechs might also be good for people who don't paint but hate the look of grey plastic.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on whether the "Unseen" Mechs will be making an appearance?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Harmony Gold lawsuit dismissal last year, I've been waiting to see the classic Marauder appear, along with those Veritechs, I mean LAMs. Smile
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Any word on whether the "Unseen" Mechs will be making an appearance?

I think they will. Though I was not playing when they disapeared so I cannot always remember what's on that list. For all I know they were in the box I just bought. The only proper* Battletech products I've ever owned are Battletech 3rd Edition, Citytech 2nd Edition, and this new box.

*Clicky base things don't count cause I had many but played like twice and thus they did not expand my knowledge of Battletech measurably.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have anything that looks like this or this or this then you've got Unseen 'Mechs.

Here's the complete list.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
If you have anything that looks like this or this or this then you've got Unseen 'Mechs.

Here's the complete list.

Ah yes, rifelmen, warhammers, and such. You can still buy the Partha ones from Iron Wind Metals I believe. And the Catalyst rules specifically state that IWM minis compatible with their rules set.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. Always liked the look of the more classic mechs, compared to some of the newer ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: