The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Kids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Kids Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Kids Reply with quote

So, if someone chooses to play a Kid (q.v. Ezra Bridger), do you have any special rules you follow?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, if someone chooses to play a Kid (q.v. Ezra Bridger), do you have any special rules you follow?

The short answer is no. I'm not sure if you mean Kid as in the Kid template, or some template with Force skills like Ezra would have. I have two kid templates:

Extraordinary Kid
DEX 3D+2
KNO 2D+1
MEC 3D+2
PER 3D
STR 2D+1
TEC 3D

Street Punk
DEX 3D+2
KNO 2D
MEC 3D+1
PER 3D+1
STR 2D+2
TEC 3D

The Extraordinary Kid is based on the character you play in the Imperial Double-Cross solitaire adventure book. The Street Punk is based on the two Kid templates (Blue Vader+R&E) but he is 13 with a twist that he is in a swoop gang. It should be noted that in my game, human average attribute is 2D+1 in everything, not 2D. So the Extraordinary Kid's KNO and STR are both average human, and the Street Punk's KNO is a little below average. A Force-sensitive kid would actually make kid characters more realistic because the Force dice would come out of the 18D for normal attributes, so they wouldn't be quite so extraordinary.

18D attributes adults (or more) of any species are pretty rare, so 18D kids are extremely rare, such that any kid PCs in my game would probably some of the few kids that abled in the entire galaxy. I don't see any reason for special rules. Like skill dice allocation choices for any PC, they would have to make sense for the PC's background to be approved. I don't see any need for special rules. They have the same rules as any other PCs.

Regarding the comment in the RAW template that says they choose another player to be an older sibling, parent, idol, etc. even without their permission, that might not work for any other PC's character background. In my game, any PC relations (familial or otherwise) must be mutual between the players, so I guess you might consider that I have eliminated the strict rule in RAW.

However, I have never had a player that even wanted to play a Kid despite them getting the same attribute and skill dice as every other PC.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No special rules. We only had one Kid (1st Ed.) but he was usually dismissed by the Imperials, until he pulled a blaster and stunned them after their backs were turned. It was permanently set to stun.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the template write ups here.

On that note, if say toy play a kid, and you have less than 18D, what happens to your attributes as you grow?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Kids Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
A Force-sensitive kid would actually make kid characters more realistic because the Force dice would come out of the 18D for normal attributes, so they wouldn't be quite so extraordinary.
Pel wrote:
No special rules. We only had one Kid (1st Ed.) but he was usually dismissed by the Imperials, until he pulled a blaster and stunned them after their backs were turned. It was permanently set to stun.

Cool. That reminds me that my son will eventually be playing an adolescent Ewok. He will have 17D in normal attributes and 1D in Force. 18D in attributes is the sum of the max attribute ranges for the species in my game, and Ewoks can only be PCs if they have been out in the galaxy for a few years becoming acclimated to galactic civilization (thus not truly primitive). So this teenaged Ewok that has been traveling the galaxy as part of a tramp freighter crew will have 17D in normal attributes and realize his Force ability in the first actual adventure of the campaign. So basically, he will be like the Anakin Skywalker of Ewoks, which is equal to a starting PC in my game.

The underestimated hero really appeals to me. He's a cute Ewok and will be able to use that to his advantage. And he will have a stun-only pistol that doesn't look like blaster. He will have a special rule that he can't kill anyone, but that is because the player is a kid in RL, not because the character is a kid.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good rule. Slings are easily concealable too and a bag of small rocks (or other shiny objects) is pretty innocuous.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Sounds like a good rule. Slings are easily concealable too and a bag of small rocks (or other shiny objects) is pretty innocuous.

He'll have a high Dex. That's a good "old school" backup weapon.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That's a good "old school" backup weapon.

Considering I was born during the Nixon administration, I'm all about 'old school'. Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Whill wrote:

Considering I was born during the Nixon administration, I'm all about 'old school'. Laughing

LOL. Same here. He resigned when I was less than a month old.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. But a sling shot in the Star Wars galaxy is way more old school than us.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And slings are older still. I love them in fantasy RPGs, since they're so concealable and easy to reload.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Whill wrote:

How many of us weren't born during Nixon's administration?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent question. Here's a poll to give us some answers.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a need to change them. You necessarily don't have to give them less than 18D to make them normal. As they age, you can shift dice into and out of various attributes. Also, they can have plateaued early (and high) and increase skills as they age but not attributes.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a HR for playing kids for 10 years or so, but nobody played a kid, so I deleted it. Anyways, it was something like that:

Being a kid is a trait that is rated (1, 2, 3...), higher the level, smaller the kid. For each level of Kid trait attribute pool is reduced by -1D. But, on the other hand, some actions performed by a kid may gain a bonus +1 or even +1D for each level of Kid trait (e.g. dodge, con/persuasion in certain situations, climbing etc.).

At some point player and GM may decide that the character has grown up and reduce level of Kid trait (and increase attributes).

As I said before, I never had a kid player, so it's not playtested properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: