The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obscure Character Archive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Obscure Character Archive! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telsij
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Nice. I've seen other ideas for high-tech tattoos in sci-fi settings, such as tattoos that can be turned on or off, and are used as "membership cards" for elite organizations. In the WH40K Inquisition War novels, the Inquisition used "electoos" that were invisible when deactivated as proof of membership to the various Ordos of the Inquisition.

Other uses included things like a functional "digital watch" implanted in the skin of a forearm, or decorative "ripple" effect tattoos that pulsed in time with the wearer's heartbeat.

Thank you — and I'm glad SW finally cribbed the cyber-tattoo thing from other Sci-Fi universes. I'm sure we'll see it as sign of group/gang/arcane order membership in new canon in the near future, if we haven't somewhere already in the old EU. Only a matter of time!

Interesting uses you describe. The invisible-when-deactivated already seems plausible-ish today, with say UV/blacklight inks. The ripple effect timed to the wearer's heartbeat makes for a great visual. Will have to steal that...

So! Now powered by an extra hour of sunlight, here is today's "SOLO Sunday" edition of Obscure Character Archive: the Sabacc dealer played by UK magician Steven Bridges in Solo: A Star Wars Story.

"THE DEALER"
Type: Mysterious Cardsharp

DEXTERITY 4D
Blaster: trick-shot 5D, pick pocket 6D+2, pick pocket: legerdemain 7D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Cultures 4D, intimidation 4D+1, planetary systems 4D+2, streetwise 5D
MECHANICAL 2D
Beast riding 3D, repulsorlift operation 4D, swoop operation 4D+1
PERCEPTION 4D
Con 6D+1, con: magic trick 7D, gambling 5D+2,
gambling: Sabacc 6D+2, hide 6D+1, search 5D
STRENGTH 2D+2
Brawling 4D, climbing/jumping 3D+2, stamina 4D+2
TECHNICAL 2D+1
Computer programming/repair 4D+1, security 4D+2

Species: Unknown (Humanoid)
Character Points: 5
Move: 10

Capsule: Little is known about the masked, nimble-fingered cardsharp called “the Dealer” — though rumor has it that he began his career in the Core Worlds, as a humble street magician, before becoming acquainted with the Pyke Syndicate's Kessel capo, Quay Tolsite. Quite well known, however, is that the humanoid’s skill at prodigious prestidigitation insures he shall remain a fixture at Sabacc tables throughout the Outer Rim's seedy underworld.

Equipment: Blaster pistol (4D damage, range: 3-10/30/100, ammo: 100), custom-made breath mask with spice-snifter (the dealer’s mask not only obscures his face, it also incorporates a unique breathing apparatus which allows the wearer to breathe normally in varying atmospheric conditions, while also allowing him to ingest spice, other narcotics or tabac, by affixing various vials to its cygar-nozzle; provides +1 vs. physical and energy damage; covers face only), hold-out blaster (3D+1 damage, range: 2-4/8/12, ammo: 10), holster, Kyuzo-inspired visor (wide metal brim provides +1D vs. physical damage, +2 vs. energy; shields eyes from harsh overhead lighting conditions; covers forehead only), leather gaiters (+1 vs. edged physical damage; covers shins and ankles only), leather poncho (+1 vs. edged physical damage; +1D bonus to Hide attempts), swoop, utility bandolier and belt.

Sources: Solo: A Star Wars Story film, https://www.starwars.com/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-designs, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQRi66zb9ww, and Wookieepedia. Stats and text by Telsij. Capsule text inspired by above-linked YouTube video by magician Steven Bridges re: his role in Solo. Image: Solo concept artwork for the character who would become "the dealer" by Adam Brockbank.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game".

Another outstanding writeup, sir! Props for using legerdemain, a word we don't employ often enough.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Thank you — and I'm glad SW finally cribbed the cyber-tattoo thing from other Sci-Fi universes. I'm sure we'll see it as sign of group/gang/arcane order membership in new canon in the near future, if we haven't somewhere already in the old EU. Only a matter of time!

Interesting uses you describe. The invisible-when-deactivated already seems plausible-ish today, with say UV/blacklight inks. The ripple effect timed to the wearer's heartbeat makes for a great visual. Will have to steal that...

If you can dig up a copy of the WH40K 1E book Rogue Trader (the main rulebook), the descriptions are on page 270, under the sub-section "Skinplants and Electoos."

Another possibility would be something like the palm-phone implant seen in the recent remake of Total Recall. Granted, the implant in that film was a bit thicker than what I'm picturing, but the idea is there...

Quote:
So! Now powered by an extra hour of sunlight, here is today's "SOLO Sunday" edition of Obscure Character Archive: the Sabacc dealer played by UK magician Steven Bridges in Solo: A Star Wars Story.
Nice. Reminds me of a Force sensitive Faleen Gambler I played in a PBeM game a few years back.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Nice. Reminds me of a Force sensitive Faleen Gambler I played in a PBeM game a few years back.

That sounds like an interesting character.
Registration & Log-In Help
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

That sounds like an interesting character.

He was, indeed. He's actually the only PC from those days I still have stats for (Darth Harddrivecrash cleaned me out).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: