The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fantasy Monsters in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Fantasy Monsters in Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:

High STR of course, DEX penalties out of water or vacuum, leave KNO alone, but cap TEC & MEC at 3D or even 2D+2 to reflect their difficulty manipulating technology not adapted for their physiology.

What (if any) racial bonuses would hippo-men get? Rinos other than their horn (say str+2d if used to charge someone with), i could see having a thick hide granting +1d soak.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how close to real-life hippos they are. Hippos are actually one of the most dangerous animals on the planet; they're very territorial, are quite aggressive when defending their territory, they weigh as much as a small car and their teeth are razor sharp.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I had one player ask if SW had one, or a Hippo, after playing spelljammer, and loving the Giff.. Never could figure out what his stats brackets would be.
High str, that's a given. But would they be kno inept? Tech/Mech inept??

IIRC, they'd be lowish in Tech and Know... not horrible, but in Spelljammer, they have to use the ships of others and get paid in smokepowder. They have to use others ships because they can't use spells, and they paid in smokepowder because they're mercenaries, but I figure that's a good enough reason to give them a penalty to those two stats.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a lot of anthropomorphic animals in my game (even if only minor NPCs) but I can't say that hippo was ever one I have thought of using.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Pel wrote:
Treants or Ents could also give your players pause and could run around with Ho'Din or Revwiens.

Another good one. I've considered a Groot-type SW alien as well...

Oh yeah. I've got a tree species cooking on the back burner. I know the planet they are from (an isolated area of the same planet my cat and bird people come from) and have some basic concepts and abilities down (rough draft). Since these species in Star Wars aren't created by magic, I like to think of how these species evolve. If they wish and when at rest, they can appear to be normal trees (even digging the bottom of the trunk into ground and extending roots). As cool as Treebeard and Groot are, I don't see any reason that intelligent mobile trees would just happen to evolve humanoid, so my idea was that their trunk can divide into three legs, and they have three main branches which can function like arms. They have three monocular eyes near the top their trunk spread evenly around it, 120 degrees apart (so they can see in all directions). There is no reason they should have animal respiration of digestive systems, so they live off of light for photosynthesis and water and nutrients in the soil. They would have no need of a mouth so don't have one. The communicate by a form of natural projective telepathy only (so they can't read minds). The recipient "hears" a voice in their head and gets a sense of the direction it is coming from accompanied with a tactile sensation of a breeze blowing from that direction also. They can only project specific languages they know so the recipient would either have to understand the language being sent or make language rolls like normal. These tree people's only sense of taste is in their roots to sense specific soil nutrients, and they have no sense of smell. They have a sense of touch, and specialized leaves that can sense vibrations to approximate hearing. They will eventually be a PC species but in the campaign I'm getting started a Force-sensitive one will be a temporary master of the Force PC.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would they have issues using regular tech? Weapons/armor??
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

https://spelljammer.fandom.com/wiki/Giff

Skills and Powers also has Giff. They're 9 feet tall, so definitely big. I'd probably use a reverse of my hack for Ewoks interacting with normal sized technology

http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2017/09/new-republic-ewoks.html

Small: Ewoks are smaller than many other species in the galaxy. While this doesn't matter for a lot of things, in some cases, it can be a big problem. Vacuum Suits, space suits, and armor are frequently poorly fitted to Ewok physiques. Many standard starships aren't well suited to Ewok physiology, meaning an Ewok may receive a -1D penalty to vehicle operation, shield, and vehicle weapon skills if the vehicle isn't designed to adjust to their size. Ewoks like Sullustan craft due to this, as they are frequently able to adjust to the smaller size. This is, to an extent, a matter of GM fiat, but Imperial craft are noted for the relatively narrow range of sizes they will accommodate. Refitting a craft to accomodate Ewok crew members is usually an Easy to Moderate task requiring an hour's worth of work for each station to be converted.
Likewise, Ewoks find many standard-built weapons to be awkward; Heavy Blasters, Blaster Carbines, Blaster Rifles, and larger weapons require similar modifications to be used without penalty; blaster pistols, sporting blasters, and hold-out blasters can usually be used without modification. Melee weapons not adjusted for ewoks have their maximum damage reduced by 1D.

So, Giff would get a 1D penalty using things not adjusted to their size, but would be fine with heavy blasters, blaster carbines, blaster rifles, and other big weapons. Melee weapons? No problem.
Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While its nice to make up your own thing, a lot of fantasy or fantasy like creatures exist or existed in various stories. If you don't want to re-invent the wheel...

Kinda surprised that no one mentioned Centaurs, or did I miss it? There was a race in the old EU: Wookieepedia link

Also Ahsoka calls Ventress a hairless Harpy so their might be something there.

And I saw someone mention Angels, but no one remembers the Moons of Iego? Wookieepedia link

And a few of the people taking about things that eat souls/minds the Derriphan is pretty close. wookieepedia link

Also rock creatures: wookieepedia link

Hope that helps in some way. [/url]
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saikoyu wrote:
While its nice to make up your own thing, a lot of fantasy or fantasy like creatures exist or existed in various stories. If you don't want to re-invent the wheel...

Kinda surprised that no one mentioned Centaurs, or did I miss it? There was a race in the old EU: Wookieepedia link

Oh yeah. I'm going to have a version of centaurs too. Instead of full centaur height, mine are like stocky dwarf torsos on pony bodies that work out to be about the same height as humans. Their faces have slightly equine features, like the WotC art for Svivreni.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

So, Giff would get a 1D penalty using things not adjusted to their size, but would be fine with heavy blasters, blaster carbines, blaster rifles, and other big weapons. Melee weapons? No problem.

I was more asking that to Whill and his tree-race..
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Their branch-arms get thinner as they go and branch out to multiple finger-sized ends which approximate hands, so I think they can pretty much use regular tech and weapons if they wanted to. Their bark is natural armor, and I can't really imagine a tree wanting to wear artificial armor but I guess they could if someone made armor especially for them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Their bark is natural armor, and I can't really imagine a tree wanting to wear artificial armor but I guess they could if someone made armor especially for them.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KnJGaO1pVxY/Vx-RCjDqv-I/AAAAAAAAAZk/teU4HxfPROQLEd1wx4DAdg9dhl707fw4gCLcB/s1600/Tree%2Bwraps.jpg

heh heh
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Their bark is natural armor, and I can't really imagine a tree wanting to wear artificial armor but I guess they could if someone made armor especially for them.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KnJGaO1pVxY/Vx-RCjDqv-I/AAAAAAAAAZk/teU4HxfPROQLEd1wx4DAdg9dhl707fw4gCLcB/s1600/Tree%2Bwraps.jpg

heh heh

Nice. Of course those trees can't defend themselves like the tree people can, but yes there is such a thing as tree "armor".
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, how big are you imagining these tree-beings are? Also, if the smaller branches function like hands, and I think they should too, how many blasters can a tree shoot at once?

I'm suddenly struck with a vision of Dorothy and Scarecrow being pelted with apples...
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Whill, how big are you imagining these tree-beings are? Also, if the smaller branches function like hands, and I think they should too, how many blasters can a tree shoot at once?

I'm suddenly struck with a vision of Dorothy and Scarecrow being pelted with apples...

Size: 2.1 / 1.9-2.3 meters

So not much bigger than normal humans. Otherwise they would be too big to fit on starships and such. They have three arms so they can't hold more than three one-handed blasters. As far as how many shots they can take per round, they would be limited by MAPs, and in my game off-hand penalties for two of the three arms. They are low Dex, so I would probably never run an NPC of this species as ever shooting off-handed unless they had no choice, so in my game they would probably never be holding more than 1 blaster. They would likewise probably not throw apples with more than one arm.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a random thought...

Depending on how you view the Ewok movies, there is precedent for shape-shifting in the SWU. Recall that Charal - the Nightsister in Ewoks 2 - was able to shape-shift into a raven with the help of a "magic ring." There is also precedent in the SWU (Splinter of the Mind's Eye, specifically) for inanimate objects that enhance the wielder's Force power (the Kaiburr Crystal), and the Tales of the Jedi Companion mentions several Sith artifacts that impart special abilities.

I always figured the ring in Ewoks 2 was something along the lines of the Kaiburr crystal, in that it generally enhanced the wielder's Force power. The official story, however, is that the ring had a very narrow focus, and could only turn the user into a raven and back again (and Charal was trapped in raven form when the ring was destroyed).

I'm still on the fence, but if one were really interested in introducing fantasy elements to Star Wars, in many ways, the precedent for shape-shifting is already there...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: