The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rule of Two, and why it makes no sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Rule of Two, and why it makes no sense. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Rule of Two, and why it makes no sense. Reply with quote

I will argue that the "rule of two" as we think of it can not logically exist.

Now there can only be a master and and an apprentice at any time, but is this logical?

I have disregarded the "lost tribe of the sith" in this, focusing more on the jedi vs sith conflict as we see it.

We know that there are artifats out there that can litteraly turn people to the dark side, the mask of lord momin is one such thing, and i would argue the murr talisman is in the same realm.

Now knowing that there are dark side nexuses, shrines and the like out there, nothing logically prevents any force sensitive in finding these studying these, adopting the sith teachings and taking an apprentice, thus becomming a master with an apprentice regardless of the existance of Palpatine and Vader, or any other.

Now just becuse the title was never used, i would argue that when savage opress found his brother maul and became his apprentice there was in fact two master's and two apprentices in the galaxy at the same time, and those were the only ones known.

In both canon(new) and legends comics and books we have holocrons out there, rebels showed us no less than two, jacosta nu hid the jedi archives more or less in a cave, and we know there are sith artifacts out there.

I think the rule of two is meant so that there will be no organized sith order, and that any sith out there will be in a Master and Apprentice relation, even if this allows for more than one sith lord at the time.

I also think the rule is meant for the sith masters when plural is to stay appart, maybe even make efforts to do so, in order to not be found by the jedi and to be able to play behind the scenes to further sith influence.

I think personally Palpatine never adhered to this rue, and was more in the "one sith" line.

So guys do any of you think the rule of two makes sense, or actually existed in the way we think?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rule of Two is pretty much shredded now. I think it maybe started out that way to keep a low profile after the Sith were nearly eradicated, but in true sneaky Sith fashion, they violated the rule after a while and let the Jedi believe it was still in effect.

Granted a lot of our proof is apochryphal now, but it wouldn't be the first or last time the Sith fed their Jedi cousins disinformation.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point.
Disinformation......never thought of that.

I was thinking, lets say under palpatine.
we had him and vader being the sith.
hOwever my point is even if they did (try) to hold to the rule of two
there would be no logical reason why no other force sensitive out there should not adopt the sith philosophy if exposed to a holocron or something similar

So I can see Palpy and vader big the lord of the sith and the apprentisce, and I can see force sensitive mr x to study teachings and become the lord of the sith and tk an apprentice.........now for TWO sith lords and two apprentices....

Etc etc etc....I see no reason to why not 20, 100, 25 000 so to speak meaning as long as there are artifacts and force nexuses and the like out there then there will be darksiders....I doubt it is simply "impossible" for them to call them selves sith and follow the tachings, take a apprentice and thus be the second, third, fourth sith lord in the galaxy at the same time.

I can not in any way my self see the rule of two as even possible given the amount of force "stuff" in the galaxy and how some artifacts ac even posess people etc
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what is a 'Sith' to you?

You can be a dark side force user without being a sith, just as you can be a light side force user and not be a jedi.

I always thought of the Sith as a very specific cult, analogous to witchcraft in the dark ages.

If that particular cult was almost wiped out they might have tried to keep to just pairs. Like small cells, not even knowing about others...or thinking that others aren't 'True' Sith.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

You can be a dark side force user without being a sith, just as you can be a light side force user and not be a jedi.

I always thought of the Sith as a very specific cult, analogous to witchcraft in the dark ages.

If that particular cult was almost wiped out they might have tried to keep to just pairs. Like small cells, not even knowing about others...or thinking that others aren't 'True' Sith.

Exactly!

I am thinking in the cult terms my self.

To me a sith one that dark or light follows the tennants of the sith teachings, maybe more so than the tennants and teachng of any particular sith lord
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the example of the Inquisitorus. Sidious and Vader were the only two Sith of the Galactic Empire, but they weren't above turning Old Republic Jedi and/or recruiting Darksiders to their cause. Sidious and Vader both knew well enough to not train the Inquisitors in Sith teachings for fear that the Inquisitors would usurp the the two of them. Hell, when Ahsoka Tano took on both Fifth Brother and Seventh Sister, she curbstomped both of them at once. In hindsight, this shouldn't be a surprise since she was a formally trained Jedi Knight when she left the Jedi Order and had way more training as well as real combat experience from the Clone Wars.

There's far more to being a Sith than just being a darksider in the employ of the Emperor.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
The Rule of Two is pretty much shredded now. I think it maybe started out that way to keep a low profile after the Sith were nearly eradicated, but in true sneaky Sith fashion, they violated the rule after a while and let the Jedi believe it was still in effect.

Granted a lot of our proof is apochryphal now, but it wouldn't be the first or last time the Sith fed their Jedi cousins disinformation.

My thoughts exactly. Only the Jedi explicitly referred to the Rule of Two in the films. That could just be what they think. And the Sith having a rule doesn't mean they can't be their evil selves and sneak around violating the rule.

In Legends, Plagueis was the Sith Master until he died during The Phantom Menace, so Palpatine didn't become the Master until then and Maul just thought Palpatine was the Master so Maul thought he was a Sith Lord, when officially he wasn't a Sith Lord. But he was still a Sith apprentice. In my SWU, Palpatine's sect of Sith had two official Sith Lords at any given time, a Master Lord and an Apprentice Lord. However both Sith Lords have their own Sith apprentices who are not officially Lords but they certainly would like to be. Each Lord could have multiple apprentices. Some may not know about each other, and some may. Some apprentices may be secrets to the other Sith Lord, and some may think they are secret but the other really knows about them. Some apprentices may be working for one Lord and secretly working for the other. But the ideal of Darth Bane is still there in the respect that the apprentices are not given too much power to not become a threat to the Lord(s). In the Empire, Palpatine and Vader both have apprentices.

The Bane/Palpatine Sith sect aren't the only Sith out there because they may not have all died off as believed and/or there may be offshoots, but none of them have any Lords as powerful as Palpatine (or probably Vader). These other Sith may be considered threats to Palpatine and/or they may be manipulated by Palpatine into serving his purposes in some way. However for Star Wars to have the most meaning possible for me, the Jedi Anakin Skywalker returned and destroyed the Sith as prophesied, so these other minor Sith cults had to die off by RotJ. That's what RPG campaigns are for.

Dredwulf60 wrote:

You can be a dark side force user without being a sith, just as you can be a light side force user and not be a jedi...

Exactly. You could have dark siders who just say they are Sith like Asajj Ventress first did, and you can still have dark siders who don't even claim any affiliation with the Sith. These still exist even beyond RotJ in my SWU.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, there's cults like the Krath - who arguably are Sith, as they've been trained by a Sith (well, ghost Sith - 30% less DSPs), and who together with Exar Kun ended up founding the Brotherhood of the Sith.

Or even the Sorcerers of Tund, who started out as Sith sorcerers but ended up being a legged snail in a costume.

I think there's a case for it being that as the race Sith got watered out, you would arguably be a Sith if you said you were a Sith, and you followed the Qotsisajak to the best of your ability.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I tend to interpret it as simply "All Masters have one apprentice. Not two, not zero. Three is right out."

How do you become a Master? You free yourself from your Master, and take an apprentice. Freeing MIGHT involve killing your master. It might involve your master saying "You're free, I have no more to teach you." Or it might involve some machinations on either of your parts. But, once you are a master, you should find an apprentice. And, if you find a new apprentice who is more worthy... well, get rid of your old apprentice.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith Master: "The Rule of Fi-"

Sith Apprentice: "Two, sir!"

Sith Master: "-Two!"

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Or even the Sorcerers of Tund, who started out as Sith sorcerers but ended up being a legged snail in a costume.

Actually, the snail in a costume wiped out the Sorcerers of Tund after learning their secrets.

For a second there, I had somewhat forgotten the name of Rokur Gepta's species, but I did remember that it rhymed with Snoke...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

For a second there, I had somewhat forgotten the name of Rokur Gepta's species, but I did remember that it rhymed with Snoke...

There you have it: Snoke the Croke was actually in illusory disguise and isn't actually dead, just playing along to see where little Kylo's antics lead him before popping out and yelling 'Surprise!' *roll credits*

Hey, I've seen WAY more tenuous connections hold up. This is the internet, after all.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was really not a rule, it's a guideline.

The idea the way George Lucas described it, is that there can't be more than two (for long) because of darksiders being into ambitious backstabbing.

The apprentices might decide they're due for a promotion and gang up on their master and kill him, so they can each move up a rung. Or one of the apprentices will do well enough to attract the jealousy of the other apprentice leading to a fatal confrontation or act of sabotage. The master, for his own reasons (such as preemptively avoiding scenario # 1) may intentionally play his students off of each other, eliminating one of them.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little confused about the time period when this rule of two (RoT) was established and some key points in Sith's history.

1) TPM - "The Sith have been extinct for a millennium"
2) EU says RoT was established after this extiction by lone Sith survivor Darth Bane after the last war with Jedi

How then Yoda and Mace knew about RoT as it was established in a period when Sith were considered destroyed?

Maybe Windu with his "The oppression of the Sith will never return" was referring to the RoT which existed more 1000 yrs ago?

And:

Quote:
Palpatine: Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?
Anakin: No?
Palpatine: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend.

Reminder: "The Sith have been extinct for a millennium"
So, was Palpi obviously sure that no Jedi would tell the story because they never heard of him and he made up the whole intro? Or would never tell because of his twisted dark side goals to achieve immortality?

And "It's a Sith legend". Hardy you can call any story a legend what is couple of dozen years old.

Was this explained in any EU material? Is it possible that Plagueis was older, much older and vanished at some point before Sith fall (by Jedi considered dead)? And survived to the some period before TPM?
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the INTENTION of the RoT as stated in the PT was at face value: There are only two Sith (Apprentice and Master), and they have been Rule of Two-ing it for a millennium. An Apprentice only becomes the Master when the master dies (or is killed). The Master may retain the Apprentice until the apprentice kills the Master, or the Master may have a new apprentice kill the old one.

However, like many here, I feel that a literal RoT is absurd. It only takes one accident to wipe the Sith out for good. A hyperspace mishap and *Boom* no more Sith in the Galaxy.

I also interpret it like Mamatried: There may be many Sith lords, all adhering to the RoT (more or less) and all independent and ignorant of the others. The RoT doesn't mean 2 Sith galaxy-wide, it just means there is no more large "Sith Empire" or "Sith Group", and they are all disbursed secretly throughout the galaxy. That way they don't backstab eachother (often).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: