The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Memes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars Memes Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This made my brain explode.

The Dalek Wars is a Doctor Who reference, right?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the best Trek Wars poster ever! Gurney Picard pilots the Serenity Falcon to destroy the evil Dune Star, controlled by Dalek Vader.

Did I miss anything? Laughing
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
That's the best Trek Wars poster ever! Gurney Picard pilots the Serenity Falcon to destroy the evil Dune Star, controlled by Dalek Vader.

Did I miss anything? Laughing

Dalek Vader's Cylon Troopers?
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Next weekend the Houston Symphony is screening Star Wars (ANH to all you youngsters) and playing the score live. If it's Special Ed. I may shout 'Han shot first!'.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Ha! Next weekend the Houston Symphony is screening Star Wars (ANH to all you youngsters) and playing the score live. If it's Special Ed. I may shout 'Han shot first!'.

We saw this when it came to Columbus in Fall of 2017. It's not the Special Edition but it is not the original version either. It the 2011 HD version (the latest), which still has the Greedo shot added.

I don't know about Houston culture but in Columbus it would considered extremely uncouth to shoot during a symphony performance. I would not suggest doing that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Pel wrote:

We saw this when it came to Columbus in Fall of 2017. It's not the Special Edition but it is not the original version either. It the 2011 HD version (the latest), which still has the Greedo shot added.

I don't know about Houston culture but in Columbus it would considered extremely uncouth to shoot during a symphony performance. I would not suggest doing that.

Well, I would think that it's considered extremely uncouth and dangerous to shoot anywhere in public, never mind during a symphony. After all, gunshots are loud and police might come. Shocked

But on the serious side, shouting during a symphony strikes me as a bridge too far also. I would think that shouting during a musical performance like a rock concert is a given, of course. But during something with the decorum of a symphony, even a Star Wars symphony? Yeah, that strikes me as rude as well. (But this is the state of Texas we're talking about, so maybe the rules of etiquette are different there?)
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Well, I would think that it's considered extremely uncouth and dangerous to shoot anywhere in public, never mind during a symphony. After all, gunshots are loud and police might come. Shocked

...(But this is the state of Texas we're talking about, so maybe the rules of etiquette are different there?)

Ha. Well it is Texas, so it is only uncouth to shoot at a symphony. Maybe the same as shouting at a symphony in Ohio.

And Pel, I don't want you to feel I'm just making fun of Texas. Although I was born and raised in Ohio, my dad and that half of my family is from Texas (originally Corpus Christi but they spread out). I've visited various parts of Texas a few times in my life. I rode my first horse and shot my first gun in Texas. I went to Mexico for a day while staying with my aunt and uncle who lived on the border. I remember the Alamo. My dad lived in Rockport when Hurricane Harvey hit and he lost his home. (And I have a cousin on my mom's side who moved to Houston, but I've never set foot out of the airport there.) I consider myself to be 49% Texan. Very Happy

Quote:
But on the serious side, shouting during a symphony strikes me as a bridge too far also. I would think that shouting during a musical performance like a rock concert is a given, of course. But during something with the decorum of a symphony, even a Star Wars symphony? Yeah, that strikes me as rude as well.

For these shows they created a special mix of the film that maintained the dialogue and sound effects but completely removed the recorded score so it could be played live instead. It is absolutely amazing how the CSO kept pace with the film - I would have to say the performance was about 99.9% perfect in that respect. So even though this isn't a typical orchestra performance since there is recorded sound that the orchestra is playing long with, I would think that orchestra decorum would still be applicable. I've seen John Williams conduct the CSO, and several other symphony performances. There is strictly not even any applause until the last note ended for any piece.

However, there is no film scoring in that scene of the film. There is diegetic music in the form of the cantina band playing in the background, and I'm sorry that I can't remember from my show if the orchestra was playing that or if it was only in the original recording. If no musician is playing, then maybe it wouldn't be a big deal to shout out the gospel of Han at that point.

Pel, please tell us how the show goes! My son and I had an absolute blast at our show. It was my son's only theatrical viewing of ANH, and how awesome it was that the film score was performed live.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point of Order: Any proper performance of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture requires the firing of cannon during the finale.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
As a gun owner (and as the holder of a gun owner's Holy Grail: a California Concealed Carry Permit), I can confirm. 90% of my CCW permit course was about gun safety and under which circumstances it is appropriate to fire. The other 10% was out at the local BLM (Bureau of Land Management) gun range actually shooting to demonstrate I could reliably hit what I was aiming at. I live in a pretty gun friendly part of CA (which is something of an oxymoron these days), but even so, if you're gonna bang off some rounds, you'd better have a damn good reason why, else the police will be quite perturbed.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You are a unicorn.

No, I'm not going to shoot anything, being a CC holder myself. One little typo and everybody goes nuts, but it's unfortunatley the times we live in. Crying or Very sad

I'm very much looking forward to the show and will try to restrain myself from any outbursts Laughing .
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
One little typo

Thank you for acknowledging my typo. I'm a fair typist but I have a touch of dyslexia in addition to occasional clumsiness.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Point of Order: Any proper performance of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture requires the firing of cannon during the finale.

I love that one!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 8 of 37

Jump to: