The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Marvel / MCU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Marvel / MCU Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Marvel / MCU Reply with quote

Marvel Comics superheroes, anyone? The 22nd film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe series, Avengers: Endgame, comes out in three weeks. Endgame is the culmination of the series thus far, the end of "The Infinity Saga". I have enjoyed almost all of these movies to one degree or another.

The movies haven't always been released in chronological order, and some of them even overlap chronologically. In recent weeks I've seen several improper viewing orders floating around social media and other websites, so I thought I would create the proper one and share it, throwing in stinger advice as an added bonus. And then I thought, I might as well go ahead and share it here too.

Questions? Comments? Want to share your fave MCU films? Other Marvel movies? Marvel RPGs? Marvel Comics?

EDIT: I updated the proper film order image to include Phase 4 films. See also this post for details on the updates, and an MCU timeline that includes the TV series on Disney+ and more films.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:47 pm; edited 5 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw mentioned elsewhere, if one was to view them all in order, NO BREAKS< you'd spend just over 53 hrs watching them all.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I saw mentioned elsewhere, if one was to view them all in order, NO BREAKS< you'd spend just over 53 hrs watching them all.

Yeah, no breaks, that's crazy. I would recommend watching them like 1-3 per week to go through them all. My family is just going through 16-21 before Endgame, 4 more to go. Probably watch Doctor Strange tonight.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly noob question because I've seen the Eric Bana version but not the Ed Norton version, but when you refer to The Incredible Hulk, you're referring to the latter and not the former, right?

I think my experience seeing the Eric Bana version (which isn't part of the MCU if I'm remembering right) soured me on seeing the Ed Norton version because some idiot turned on the theater's overhead lights halfway through the movie and no one bothered to shut them back off for half an hour. I should have demanded my money back after that crap.

But yeah, just because of that (and it's not really even that good of a reason), The Incredible Hulk is the only MCU movie I haven't seen and don't own. I should probably remedy that at some point.

Also, I need to find some way to put Whill's MCU Viewing Order on a t-shirt because that would just be awesome.

It's going to be a little while until this list becomes practical because Captain Marvel won't be on DVD/BluRay for a few more months. (But, there are worse problems to have.) Cool
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. The Bana version is just 'hulk'. And was NOT in any way tied to the MCU.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, the Eric Bana film was The Hulk or Hulk (can't remember which, but no Incredible). It is not a part of the MCU. The Ed Norton film is a reboot. It is near the bottom of my MCU rankings, but it is def much better than the first Hulk movie. Funny that you had your lights come on for a half-hour, because my theatrical experience of it was one of the few movies I have ever fallen asleep during. I watched it completely on DVD when I was babysitting my niece and nephew. It's bad. I'll leave you with two more words: Hulk Dogs. 'Nuff said.

Fun Fact, Mark Ruffalo, the actor who took over the role after Ed Norton, was actually the first choice of the director of the Ed Norton film. I'm not sure what happened, but he did get the role after Ed Norton quit due to not having script control over The Avengers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Correct, the Eric Bana film was The Hulk or Hulk (can't remember which, but no Incredible). It is not a part of the MCU. The Ed Norton film is a reboot. It is near the bottom of my MCU rankings, but it is def much better than the first Hulk movie. Funny that you had your lights come on for a half-hour, because my theatrical experience of it was one of the few movies I have ever fallen asleep during. I watched it completely on DVD when I was babysitting my niece and nephew. It's bad. I'll leave you with two more words: Hulk Dogs. 'Nuff said.

Fun Fact, Mark Ruffalo, the actor who took over the role after Ed Norton, was actually the first choice of the director of the Ed Norton film. I'm not sure what happened, but he did get the role after Ed Norton quit due to not having script control over The Avengers.

It's funny you should mention the Hulk Dogs; it was exactly that scene (as well as a few other scenes both before and after) that I remember being ruined by the overhead lights. I could barely make out the Hulk Dogs on the screen, but even then I could tell I wasn't missing much.

(This is slightly OT, but the only movie in which I ever fell asleep was Lethal Weapon 2, but that was because it was the 7th [yes, 7th!] time I was watching it in the theater bc I loved that movie so much at the time. After having essentially memorized the movie after the first 6 viewings, I unwillingly fell asleep [boredom makes me drowsy] during the 7th viewing. Similarly, the only movie I ever walked out of was The Nightmare Before Christmas. I'm usually a big fan of Tim Burton's macabre unconventionality, but I was soooo not in the mood for a musical that night and NONE of the advertising for TNBC at the time (or at least the commercials I saw) even hinted that it was a musical.)

To get back on topic, shouldn't Ant-Man and the Wasp come directly after Infinity War (instead of immediately before)? It seems to me that watching the A-MatW stinger(s) wouldn't make much sense without seeing Infinity War first. And the two films are concurrent/take place at the same time (and we know this because the Snappening happens at the end of both movies), so it makes sense to me to watch A-MatW after Infinity War since watching A-MatW's stinger before Infinity War essentially serves as a spoiler to Infinity War's ending that the Avengers failed to stop the Snappening. Yeah, I probably didn't need to white-out those phrases above because ROSEBUD WAS THE NAME OF KANE'S SLED but it's probably better to err on the side of caution since the movies haven't been out that long (a year or so, give or take).

Last edited by Sutehp on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the Bana version, but my interpretation of it was that Norton was a soft reboot... not completely rejecting Bana, but just sort of only taking the parts of it they wanted to.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I haven't seen the Bana version, but my interpretation of it was that Norton was a soft reboot... not completely rejecting Bana, but just sort of only taking the parts of it they wanted to.

I think there's some truth to that, but it wasn't that soft of a reboot. The main three characters all got new actors, and TIH added some flashbacks with a different origin. The Bana Hulk's origin was more like the original comic, and the Norton Hulk was more inspired by the old live-action TV show while still retaining the two Ross characters. The end result was that the Norton Hulk film is completely self-sufficient, not relying on any familiarity with the Bana Hulk film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
It's going to be a little while until this list becomes practical because Captain Marvel won't be on DVD/BluRay for a few more months.

I don't know what you mean. Captain Marvel is currently in the theaters right now. You can watch that in the correct place on the list and watch the rest at home, except for the last film (until that comes out in the theater, then same thing).

Sutehp wrote:
To get back on topic, shouldn't Ant-Man and the Wasp come directly after Infinity War (instead of immediately before)? It seems to me that watching the A-MatW stinger(s) wouldn't make much sense without seeing Infinity War first. And the two films are concurrent/take place at the same time (and we know this because the Snappening happens at the end of both movies), so it makes sense to me to watch A-MatW after Infinity War since watching A-MatW's stinger before Infinity War essentially serves as a spoiler to Infinity War's ending that the Avengers failed to stop the Snappening. Yeah, I probably didn't need to white-out those phrases above because ROSEBUD WAS THE NAME OF KANE'S SLED

That's mighty considerate of you but you don't have to spoiler tag Ant-Man and the Wasp or Infinity War. They came out last year in April and July. Captain Marvel is in the theater now so I would be nice to use spoiler tags for that though.

Stingers often take place at an inexplicit amount of time after the main story that ended before the credits. I don't think the main story of Ant-Man and the Wasp is happening at the same time as Infinity War because you would think that a major event such as a massive alien invasion occurring in Wakanda, after an alien ship coming to New York City wouldn't have been ignored by the characters of Ant-Man and Wasp. Yes this is a universe where aliens have already invaded a couple times before (Avengers, The Dark World), but it is still not commonplace and several years have passed since those prior invasions. I just can't imagine characters in Ant-Man and the Wasp looking at their phones or watching TV and thinking, 'Superheroes fight aliens in NYC and now an invasion is occurring in Wakanda, but hey there is a giant guy in my city so let's completely ignore the alien invasion.' It only makes sense to me if Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place completely before Infinity War except for the stinger that takes place during the Snappening.

If you haven't seen Ant-Man and the Wasp or Infinity War yet, it is true that watching the former first, you wouldn't have the context to know why Hank, Janet, and Hope disintegrate in the stinger, but I think it still works in this order because it would be a real WTF moment, and the only way to find out why that happened would be to continue the viewing order and watch Infinity War. Then when you got to the Snappening at the end, you would remember the Ant-Man and the Wasp stinger and understand.

The fact of the matter is, these movies do not take place in the order of release and the narratives in several of these films overlap. So when determining a proper viewing order, choices have to be made. Parts of The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor happen at the same time. Most viewing orders I've seen have it as Iron Man 2 - The Incredible Hulk - Thor, but I think my order has a better flow for the overall narrative. Doctor Strange actually takes place over the course of a year - Civil War, Black Panther, and Homecoming all happen during that film. If anyone wants to know more about my reasoning in those cases, please let me know.

Sutehp wrote:
I need to find some way to put Whill's MCU Viewing Order on a t-shirt because that would just be awesome.

If you do, let me make it a little nicer for you first. We should take off the last film and put "The Infinity Saga" at the top, since that is what all those movies are going to be collectively known as per Marvel.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It's bad. I'll leave you with two more words: Hulk Dogs. 'Nuff said.

Those mutts imo were one of the only things i liked about it...

Whill wrote:

I heard that before, i wonder how ruffalo would have done in the role, vice norton..

MrNexx wrote:

From what i remember reading, the only part of the Bana one, they took for the Nornton one, was him being in south america at the end of hulk/start of inc hulk,
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

From what i remember reading, the only part of the Bana one, they took for the Nornton one, was him being in south america at the end of hulk/start of inc hulk,

Iron Man and TIH were developed before they committed to the shared "Avengers" universe (what later became the MCU). TIH may have started development as a straight sequel to the Bana Hulk movie. When Ed Norton came aboard he rewrote the script adding in a lot more elements from the TV series.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Essential film viewing list to prepare for Endgame Reply with quote

Essential MCU film viewing list to prepare for Avengers: Endgame

I saw Avengers: Endgame Friday night and enjoyed it. The main characters of Endgame are Tony Stark (Iron Man), Steve Rogers (Captain America), Thor, Bruce Banner (Hulk), Natasha Romanov (Black Widow), Clint Barton (Hawkeye), Scott Lang (Ant-Man), and Nebula. From the trailers this should not be a surprise. Marvel has stated that Endgame concludes the narratives of the entire series of prior MCU films leading up to it, but that is not really true. The series will continue beyond this. However, Endgame is definitely the final chapter for some aspects of the series thus far.

This is a non-spoiler list of all the movies that I wish I had watched again before seeing Avengers: Endgame. It includes all the films featuring infinity stones, and of course it is in the best viewing order. If you plan on seeing Endgame soon it’s too late to go through all of these first. For those that aren’t going to see it soon, such as those who wait for home video, this is your list. And even if you will see Endgame soon, you will probably want to go back and watch these movies before seeing Endgame again or buying your home copy. I had only watched five of these films (counting Captain Marvel in the theater) recently. I’ll probably see Captain Marvel and Endgame again in the theater sometime but I’ll work my way through the rest of these films on this list before an Infinity War/Endgame multi-pack is available on blu-ray.

The films on the list below are the ones I feel that viewing again will maximize your appreciation of Endgame, so the six not listed are just not essential to view again. However if there are any you haven't ever seen, I strongly recommend seeing them all before seeing Endgame (including Captain Marvel which is still in the theater) - The recommended order is in the OP of this thread. But any order is better than missing any.

1. Captain America: The First Avenger is important for Steve Roger’s characterization and story arc, and other characters.
2. Captain Marvel is important because Carol Danvers is key in couple parts of Endgame.
3. Iron Man 2 is important for Tony Stark’s characterization and story arc, and other characters.
4. The Avengers is key for the plot of Endgame.
5. Thor: The Dark World is key for the plot of Endgame.
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is important for Steve Roger’s characterization and story arc, other characters, and a location.
7. Guardians of the Galaxy is key for the plot of Endgame.
8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is important for the character of Nebula and another character.
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron is important for the characterizations and story arcs of the Avengers.
10. Ant-Man is important because the characters and tech are important in the plot of Endgame.
11. Captain America: Civil War is important for the characterizations and story arcs of Tony and Steve, and for other characters.
12. Doctor Strange is important for a location and another character besides Stephen Strange.
13. Thor: Ragnarok is important for the characterizations and story arcs of Thor and Bruce, and for other characters and situations.
14. Ant-Man and the Wasp is important because the characters and tech are important in the plot of Endgame.
15. Avengers: Infinity War is important because it is the first half of the Infinity War/Endgame story!

16. Avengers: Endgame

And I thought I would mention that Endgame had no stinger scenes. There is a brief backwards-looking audio-only stinger at the end of the credits, but not worth waiting for if you have to pee.

Endgame has grossed over a billion dollars worldwide in its opening weekend alone, so this movie is going to be huge. If anyone wants to discuss it, don’t forget the white font colour 'spoiler tagging' when applicable. Thanks.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No spoilers, but I did fight back tears a couple of times. It never felt like a 3 hour movie. Seeing it again tomorrow.

$1.2 billion opening weekend and Marvel/Disney earned every penny. This is the best one yet, folks, and a great ending to the 22 movie arc. If that's not epic, I don't know what is.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly WAS a very worthwhile ending to the cinematic creation of Marvel.. FOR NOW..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: