The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG Style Guide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> WEG Style Guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: WEG Style Guide Reply with quote

There's been a request on Reddit for anyone with a copy of the WEG writers' style guide for Star Wars. Pablo Hidalgo posted excerpts from this on his twitter feed a while back. Anyone have a copy handy that they could distribute? Is that even permissible with this document? (I honestly don't know.)

I gather there are some WEG alums who pop on here from time to time, so I figured I'd ask. I plan to ask a friend of mine who used to freelance for them sometimes as well.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there aren't much in the way of former WEG authors here. I think there may be one on the facebook group, but I don't think that they frequent here.

The style guide is kind of the holy grail for fan supplement creators. We've asked, no one has been willing to produce a pdf of the documents. A lot of it was just "paperwork from work" that didn't survive this many years after the company went the way it did. Those that have it aren't willing to risk openly reproducing it on the internet.

If you do get a copy, I will personally drive to wherever you are at and give you a hug and some money to get a look at it.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want any money for it. I'd just be happy to share it with the community if I can get a copy of it. I'm not holding my breath, mind you. It's entirely possible that the people who did receive it promptly chucked it when it was no longer necessary. But we will see...
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
I wouldn't want any money for it. I'd just be happy to share it with the community if I can get a copy of it. I'm not holding my breath, mind you. It's entirely possible that the people who did receive it promptly chucked it when it was no longer necessary. But we will see...

You've talked me down to a hug and a cookie.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
The style guide is kind of the holy grail for fan supplement creators. We've asked, no one has been willing to produce a pdf of the documents. A lot of it was just "paperwork from work" that didn't survive this many years after the company went the way it did. Those that have it aren't willing to risk openly reproducing it on the internet.

I believe the WEG author we have on Facebook did chime in and said he didn't have it. If anyone has it, Peter Schweighofer would. He was on G+ and is on MeWe. There must be something about it that shouldn't be public, and us mere mortals are not meant to know what that even is. Bummer because I would love to see beyond the excerpt we already have.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cheshire wrote:

I believe the WEG author we have on Facebook did chime in and said he didn't have it. If anyone has it, Peter Schweighofer would. He was on G+ and is on MeWe. There must be something about it that shouldn't be public, and us mere mortals are not meant to know what that even is. Bummer because I would love to see beyond the excerpt we already have.

I'd wonder if their style guide for SW might include some Lucasfilm information. They might have a style guide they developed informally for other WEG properties from that, and be a bit entangled.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a redacted copy? Just blot out anything legally questionable and everyone's happy.

Mr. Cheshire, I'll see your hug & cookies and raise you a crawfish boil if we can get our hands on this gem. Very Happy
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have the Style Guide from the Star Wars era, but I may have a WEG Style Guide from the Open D6 era (2005ish). I will have to look as many of my files were lost and damaged in a serious of disastrous hardware failures from 2015 through 2019.

One was once available through the RancorPitBooks group, but with Yahoo having disbanded groups and deleted the files last December those materials are gone.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can log into the Yahoo group but I cannot see any messages or files. If they just erased everything it seems silly to even still have a group.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deadline to retrieve files was December 14th 2019, but at the time I was having serious computer issues and was unsure if I would return to gaming or not. Plus, I thought I had all of my contributions still.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Schweighofer DOES have the WEG style guide. He has snapped snippet pictures of it but refuses to do the whole thing. He used the snippets in a discussion about what they used to do and should do today.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
The deadline to retrieve files was December 14th 2019, but at the time I was having serious computer issues and was unsure if I would return to gaming or not. Plus, I thought I had all of my contributions still.

It was last year sometime, but I do remember looking through the files and not seeing anything to add to the Rancor Pit Library. Maybe everything there was already in the Library, but maybe I missed something. Oh well, it's gone now.

Grimace wrote:
Pete Schweighofer DOES have the WEG style guide. He has snapped snippet pictures of it but refuses to do the whole thing. He used the snippets in a discussion about what they used to do and should do today.

I'm gonna have to take a look at that again (the parts he did share).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: