The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disney+ Platform/Non-Star-Wars Programming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Disney+ Platform/Non-Star-Wars Programming Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Disney+ Platform/Non-Star-Wars Programming Reply with quote

Disney+ announced it's price and American launch date:

November 12th and $7/month or $70 annually. Given the depth of their catalog (including the new Fox properties) and new content, that's going to be tough to pass on.

ADMIN EDITS:

This thread is about Disney+ in general and non-Star-Wars Disney+ stuff (Avatar, The Simpsons, etc.). Please do not discuss any spoilers here for recent Disney+ content. Please see below for dedicated Disney+ related threads.

Current Disney+ Spoiler Policy

Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series

Upcoming Andor [Disney+ series]

Obi-Wan Kenobi [SPOILERS]

The Mandalorian [Spoilers]

The Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers]

Star Wars Visions [Spoilers]

The Bad Batch [Spoilers]

The Clone Wars - Season 7

Disney 4K Star Wars Classic Trilogy

Marvel Super Heroes (MCU, Comic Books, etc.)

When will your country get Disney+?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Disney+ announced it's price and launch date:

November 12th and $7/month or $70 annually. Given the depth of their catalog (including the new Fox properties) and new content, that's going to be tough to pass on.

It's only a good deal if you have time to watch it. I do myself short shrift by watching that service instead of painting SW miniatures, for example.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Pel wrote:

It's only a good deal if you have time to watch it. I do myself short shrift by watching that service instead of painting SW miniatures, for example.

Yeah, no way am I willing to pay for this. (As for miniatures, I'd love it if I could get someone to paint my Pathfinder miniatures. No way can I trust myself to do a good job of that since I've never done it before.)
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Marvel and Star Wars fan, and I have a 3-year-old daughter who LOVES the Disney cartoons. (Frozen, Moana, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Lilo & Stitch, etc.) So, yeah, this one's a no-brainer for me.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Disney+ Reply with quote

Since there is so much content besides Star Wars (like all the Disney movies, Marvel stuff, and the first 30 seasons of The Simpsons), I thought I would split the Disney+ discussion into its own thread...

Disney revealed the details of its Netflix rival, Disney Plus, including its price and release date

Quote:
~Disney Plus will launch on November 12 and cost $6.99 a month or $69.99 a year.
~Disney "will likely" bundle the service with Hulu and ESPN+ at a discount, Kevin Mayer, Disney's direct-to-consumer and international chairman, said.
~In its first year, Disney Plus will include 25 original series and 10 movies and specials, along with more than 400 titles from the Disney library.
~Disney previously confirmed unannounced Marvel series are in the works, including "Falcon and Winter Soldier."
~The entire "Star Wars" collection will be available, including the original trilogy, and the first 30 seasons of "The Simpsons" will be available to stream at launch.

Pel wrote:

Solo4114 wrote:
I'm a huge Marvel and Star Wars fan, and I have a 3-year-old daughter who LOVES the Disney cartoons. (Frozen, Moana, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Lilo & Stitch, etc.) So, yeah, this one's a no-brainer for me.

I'm with you. The vehement objections I see to prices like $6 and $7 a month boggles my mind. People will pay over $100 a month for cable and not watch most of the channels, but then when it comes to on-demand internet streamed TV, a few dollars is outrageous. I got rid of cable 2 years ago, so a few dollars here and a few dollars there for internet TV is no big deal. We have Netflix and Hulu right now. I had CBS All Access for Star Trek Discovery (season 1) and then cancelled it. I can rejoin at anytime with no penalty, and I'll do so when the season 2 is about done so I can go through the season fairly quickly (not fast enough to call it "binge", but probably more than one episode a week). Disney+ is going to have episodes of the Mandalorian show available right off the bat when it launches. Plus a ton of other content. I think it will be worth checking Disney+ out.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so torn about this, and part of it ties back to the vast influence Darth Maus has. Like, 24% of the US entertainment market is now Disney. So many of the things I absolutely love... Star Wars, the MCU, Disney movies... are Disney. This service is going to be pretty much essential to get, simply because of the stuff you won't be able to get without it.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The vehement objections I see to prices like $6 and $7 a month boggles my mind. People will pay over $100 a month for cable and not watch most of the channels, but then when it comes to on-demand internet streamed TV, a few dollars is outrageous. I got rid of cable 2 years ago, so a few dollars here and a few dollars there for internet TV is no big deal. We have Netflix and Hulu right now. I had CBS All Access for Star Trek Discovery (season 1) and then cancelled it. I can rejoin at anytime with no penalty, and I'll do so when the season 2 is about done so I can go through the season fairly quickly (not fast enough to call it "binge", but probably more than one episode a week). Disney+ is going to have episodes of the Mandalorian show available right off the bat when it launches. Plus a ton of other content. I think it will be worth checking Disney+ out.

garhkal wrote:
I CAN'T stand shows that "if you wanna watch it, buy into our life-stream service"..

Do you have pirated cable or internet TV, or do you pay for it? The only way you can legally watch TV without paying money for it is to watch digital broadcast. If you only watch 4, 6, 10, 28, and 34 then I can understand your objection to internet TV. If you pay for TV through cable, satellite, phone line, internet, etc., then you are paying money for TV shows you watch. (And even if you only watch digital broadcast, you need a TV equipped for that or an adapter which aren't that cheap.)

I have internet through a cable company. I used to have cable TV with my internet. We had a standard cable plan with no premium channels or add-ons. Almost two years ago we got rid of cable TV completely and at the same time upgraded our internet speed. And we added subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, and CBS All Access. Our combined TV/internet expense dropped by $100 a month! Even with upgrading our internet and adding TV subscriptions services. We have since cancelled CBS and added Amazon Prime for $10 a month, which includes free 2-day shipping on all Amazon orders all year 'round. I only have to pay for one month of CBS every 1.5 years to watch Star Trek Discovery, which is way cheaper then buying the DVDs. I pay only $5.99 to watch an entire season of the new Star Trek show.

And even if someone watches enough of your cable TV to make it worth the expense or essential, the streaming subscriptions mentioned here all start at $5.99 to $9.99 a month. So I do not understand this common objection to the costs to streaming services. $100 a month is ok, but $7, or even $107, is too much? I think that cable TV companies must be really good at the Jedi Mind Trick. For cable TV you pay for a bunch of live channels you don't watch when you should be able to just pick and choose the channels you want and only pay for what you choose. For all these internet streaming services, you watch everything they have on-demand, can pause and continue later, all without recording anything. All but Amazon Prime are monthly and you can cancel at any time.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I am so torn about this, and part of it ties back to the vast influence Darth Maus has. Like, 24% of the US entertainment market is now Disney. So many of the things I absolutely love... Star Wars, the MCU, Disney movies... are Disney. This service is going to be pretty much essential to get, simply because of the stuff you won't be able to get without it.

This is a good point.

Internet streamed TV is the wave of the future. My step-dad's local cable office expressed this sentiment to him and even they wondered if cable TV was ever going to still be around in 5 years. Good thing they are an internet provider company too. Disney is making an essential service now but doesn't expect to start profiting off it until 2024 when a lot of the objectors relent and get on board.

As far as Disney getting closer and closer to monopoly, don't worry. Disney will eventually run these properties into the ground and move on to other things. When Disney buys Warner Brothers and CBS, then we should worry. Combining Marvel and DC, or Star Wars and Star Trek, would surely be a sign of the apocalypse.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
As far as Disney getting closer and closer to monopoly, don't worry. Disney will eventually run these properties into the ground and move on to other things. When Disney buys Warner Brothers and CBS, then we should worry. Combining Marvel and DC, or Star Wars and Star Trek, would surely be a sign of the apocalypse.

I for one welcome our new Disney overlords.

What?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full line-up of all available programming on Day One of Disney+

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/14/20913417/disney-plus-launch-lineup-marvel-star-wars-pixar-tv-shows-movies-simpsons-national-geographic
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably subscribe for a short period sometime when the final season of Clone Wars starts, and then check out how Mandalorian and Resistance looks.
Otherwise gotta say $70 for a year sounds great, but I have no need for it.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
I'll probably subscribe for a short period sometime when the final season of Clone Wars starts, and then check out how Mandalorian and Resistance looks.
Otherwise gotta say $70 for a year sounds great, but I have no need for it.

Sure. It's more valuable if you have a family with kids. I'm interested in checking out Mandalorian and the other live action SW TV series, and the MCU TV series. I will probably watch the seventh season of TCW with my son who is super excited about it. My son and wife will be happy to have access to the ton of Disney material that will be there from the get-go. Getting D+ for the low cost is a no-brainer for my family, but we may not get it on day one.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Disney+ Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
For those of you with Verizon, if you upgrade to (or already have) their Unlimited plan, you get a year of Disney Plus for free. If nothing else, call and see how much it would cost; I did it a few years back and my bill actually dropped $2.50 by upgrading to unlimited data (I already had unlimited talk/text).

Tomorrow's the day for Disney+! I found out Xbox One will have the Disney+ app available for download tomorrow. I'm calling Verizon tomorrow to see what they can do about my bill and upgrading to Unlimited Data.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney + looks good. Apparently the entire catalog is available, even the Disney vault. Lots of stuff to watch. I got it on a week trial, looks like I’ll be dumping Netflix.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Disney+ Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Disney + looks good. Apparently the entire catalog is available, even the Disney vault. Lots of stuff to watch. I got it on a week trial, looks like I’ll be dumping Netflix.

I'm going to hold onto Netflix for now and see how much we watch it. If it doesn't end up getting watched much then it may be best to cancel it. But Disney+ is a must-have for my family.

CRMcNeill wrote:
For those of you with Verizon, if you upgrade to (or already have) their Unlimited plan, you get a year of Disney Plus for free. If nothing else, call and see how much it would cost; I did it a few years back and my bill actually dropped $2.50 by upgrading to unlimited data (I already had unlimited talk/text).

Life, Life, Life. I worked a full day's work today. I walked the dog in the cold snow and ice covered ground, twice. I fed my son while my wife was at a church meeting. I took a shower. I spent a couple hours on dealing with Verizon today. Looking into plan options online (and finding errors I later reported), then slowly dealt with a worthless chat agent, then spoke with a very helpful phone rep.

Unlimited Data was not a good option for us. We have three devices that use data: my phone, my wife's phone, and my son's tablet. Unlimited Data is all or nothing - Either my whole family had to have it, or we had to have a finite amount of data we share, what we have now. Unlimited Data would have raised our phone bill $40 per month, which is $480 per year. Getting Disney+ for a year for free (a $70 value) does not even come close to justifying the price hike for unlimited data. I did double my family's monthly shared data amount for no extra cost, got our bill reduced by $6 a month, and got a 6 month credit for a phone insurance plan that was supposed to cancelled 4 months ago.

So we will still be getting Disney+, but we won't be getting it through Verizon. We already have Hulu, and there is a package of Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+, but I don't think the ESPN+ would really be worth the extra $1.17 per month more than Hulu and Disney+ year option, so we'll probably just add Disney+. Sometime soon.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: