The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disney+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Disney+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 923
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney+ announced it's price and launch date:

November 12th and $7/month or $70 annually. Given the depth of their catalog (including the new Fox properties) and new content, that's going to be tough to pass on.
_________________
Aha!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TauntaunScout
Commander
Commander


Joined: 20 Apr 2015
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Disney+ announced it's price and launch date:

November 12th and $7/month or $70 annually. Given the depth of their catalog (including the new Fox properties) and new content, that's going to be tough to pass on.


It's only a good deal if you have time to watch it. I do myself short shrift by watching that service instead of painting SW miniatures, for example.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1475
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Pel wrote:
Disney+ announced it's price and launch date:

November 12th and $7/month or $70 annually. Given the depth of their catalog (including the new Fox properties) and new content, that's going to be tough to pass on.


It's only a good deal if you have time to watch it. I do myself short shrift by watching that service instead of painting SW miniatures, for example.


Yeah, no way am I willing to pay for this. (As for miniatures, I'd love it if I could get someone to paint my Pathfinder miniatures. No way can I trust myself to do a good job of that since I've never done it before.)
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Solo4114
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 227

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Marvel and Star Wars fan, and I have a 3-year-old daughter who LOVES the Disney cartoons. (Frozen, Moana, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Lilo & Stitch, etc.) So, yeah, this one's a no-brainer for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5430
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Disney+ Reply with quote

Since there is so much content besides Star Wars (like all the Disney movies, Marvel stuff, and the first 30 seasons of The Simpsons), I thought I would split the Disney+ discussion into its own thread.

Disney revealed the details of its Netflix rival, Disney Plus, including its price and release date

Quote:
~Disney Plus will launch on November 12 and cost $6.99 a month or $69.99 a year.
~Disney "will likely" bundle the service with Hulu and ESPN+ at a discount, Kevin Mayer, Disney's direct-to-consumer and international chairman, said.
~In its first year, Disney Plus will include 25 original series and 10 movies and specials, along with more than 400 titles from the Disney library.
~Disney previously confirmed unannounced Marvel series are in the works, including "Falcon and Winter Soldier."
~The entire "Star Wars" collection will be available, including the original trilogy, and the first 30 seasons of "The Simpsons" will be available to stream at launch.


Pel wrote:
Disney+ announced it's price and launch date:

November 12th and $7/month or $70 annually. Given the depth of their catalog (including the new Fox properties) and new content, that's going to be tough to pass on.

Solo4114 wrote:
I'm a huge Marvel and Star Wars fan, and I have a 3-year-old daughter who LOVES the Disney cartoons. (Frozen, Moana, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Lilo & Stitch, etc.) So, yeah, this one's a no-brainer for me.

I'm with you. The vehement objections I see to prices like $6 and $7 a month boggles my mind. People will pay over $100 a month for cable and not watch most of the channels, but then when it comes to on-demand internet streamed TV, a few dollars is outrageous. I got rid of cable 2 years ago, so a few dollars here and a few dollars there for internet TV is no big deal. We have Netflix and Hulu right now. I had CBS All Access for Star Trek Discovery (season 1) and then cancelled it. I can rejoin at anytime with no penalty, and I'll do so when the season 2 is about done so I can go through the season fairly quickly (not fast enough to call it "binge", but probably more than one episode a week). Disney+ is going to have episodes of the Mandalorian show available right off the bat when it launches. Plus a ton of other content. I think it will be worth checking Disney+ out.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 1325
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so torn about this, and part of it ties back to the vast influence Darth Maus has. Like, 24% of the US entertainment market is now Disney. So many of the things I absolutely love... Star Wars, the MCU, Disney movies... are Disney. This service is going to be pretty much essential to get, simply because of the stuff you won't be able to get without it.
_________________
"I’m telling you, you’ll never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookie’s lap."
“We're going to win this war, not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.”
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5430
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The vehement objections I see to prices like $6 and $7 a month boggles my mind. People will pay over $100 a month for cable and not watch most of the channels, but then when it comes to on-demand internet streamed TV, a few dollars is outrageous. I got rid of cable 2 years ago, so a few dollars here and a few dollars there for internet TV is no big deal. We have Netflix and Hulu right now. I had CBS All Access for Star Trek Discovery (season 1) and then cancelled it. I can rejoin at anytime with no penalty, and I'll do so when the season 2 is about done so I can go through the season fairly quickly (not fast enough to call it "binge", but probably more than one episode a week). Disney+ is going to have episodes of the Mandalorian show available right off the bat when it launches. Plus a ton of other content. I think it will be worth checking Disney+ out.


garhkal wrote:
I CAN'T stand shows that "if you wanna watch it, buy into our life-stream service"..

Do you have pirated cable or internet TV, or do you pay for it? The only way you can legally watch TV without paying money for it is to watch digital broadcast. If you only watch 4, 6, 10, 28, and 34 then I can understand your objection to internet TV. If you pay for TV through cable, satellite, phone line, internet, etc., then you are paying money for TV shows you watch. (And even if you only watch digital broadcast, you need a TV equipped for that or an adapter which aren't that cheap.)

I have internet through a cable company. I used to have cable TV with my internet. We had a standard cable plan with no premium channels or add-ons. Almost two years ago we got rid of cable TV completely and at the same time upgraded our internet speed. And we added subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, and CBS All Access. Our combined TV/internet expense dropped by $100 a month! Even with upgrading our internet and adding TV subscriptions services. We have since cancelled CBS and added Amazon Prime for $10 a month, which includes free 2-day shipping on all Amazon orders all year 'round. I only have to pay for one month of CBS every 1.5 years to watch Star Trek Discovery, which is way cheaper then buying the DVDs. I pay only $5.99 to watch an entire season of the new Star Trek show.

And even if someone watches enough of your cable TV to make it worth the expense or essential, the streaming subscriptions mentioned here all start at $5.99 to $9.99 a month. So I do not understand this common objection to the costs to streaming services. $100 a month is ok, but $7, or even $107, is too much? I think that cable TV companies must be really good at the Jedi Mind Trick. For cable TV you pay for a bunch of live channels you don't watch when you should be able to just pick and choose the channels you want and only pay for what you choose. For all these internet streaming services, you watch everything they have on-demand, can pause and continue later, all without recording anything. All but Amazon Prime are monthly and you can cancel at any time.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5430
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I am so torn about this, and part of it ties back to the vast influence Darth Maus has. Like, 24% of the US entertainment market is now Disney. So many of the things I absolutely love... Star Wars, the MCU, Disney movies... are Disney. This service is going to be pretty much essential to get, simply because of the stuff you won't be able to get without it.

This is a good point.

Internet streamed TV is the wave of the future. My step-dad's local cable office expressed this sentiment to him and even they wondered if cable TV was ever going to still be around in 5 years. Good thing they are an internet provider company too. Disney is making an essential service now but doesn't expect to start profiting off it until 2024 when a lot of the objectors relent and get on board.

As far as Disney getting closer and closer to monopoly, don't worry. Disney will eventually run these properties into the ground and move on to other things. When Disney buys Warner Brothers and CBS, then we should worry. Combining Marvel and DC, or Star Wars and Star Trek, would surely be a sign of the apocalypse.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1475
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
As far as Disney getting closer and closer to monopoly, don't worry. Disney will eventually run these properties into the ground and move on to other things. When Disney buys Warner Brothers and CBS, then we should worry. Combining Marvel and DC, or Star Wars and Star Trek, would surely be a sign of the apocalypse.


I for one welcome our new Disney overlords.

What?
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0