The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Search Your Feelings, You Know It To Be True...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Search Your Feelings, You Know It To Be True... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about making it a Sense roll which enables them, perhaps once per session or once per adventure, to ask the GM a single question about something they've just seen or heard?

This would be them searching their feelings and trusting the Force to provide guidance.

The answer may not be the explicit truth, but provides an insight as to the will of the Force and the direction which they should take (taking it is down to them).

So Vader couldn't ask 'Where is the Rebel base?' but once he saw the generators could then ask 'Is this where the Rebels are hiding?'.

Or perhaps this should only be left as a storytelling device by the GM to guide players when and if the GM feels it's appropriate?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Do you get a lot of characters with 11D in Sense that haven't learned any Force powers? I don't recall off-hand if the RAW allows a character to learn Force powers without a teacher while paying the double CP cost and double training time, but being able to learn new powers through the guidance of the Force alone would seem to fall in line with the give and take of "partially controls your actions but also obeys your commands." A vision of the future might, for example, show a PC a glimpse of the future in which he uses a power he does not know, which in turn allows him to pursue the goal of learning that power as he improves his Force skills.[/i]

MrNexx wrote:
To an extent, this comes from the Force Skills not being skills attached to an attribute that does things. "Sense", in and of itself, doesn't do anything... it simply provides access to powers. A theoretical person with 11D in Sense but no Sense Powers can do nothing with his Sense. Someone with an 11D Strength but no Strength skills can do things with raw strength... things which are improved by skills, sure, but the skills are measurements of improvement upon talents in the way powers are not.

Thus it being a theoretical character, mentioned to emphasize the problem, as I see it... namely, that the force skills, as written do not allow for actions outside of powers taken. If Luke didn't learn a "Search your Feelings Power", the rules don't provide any means for him to search his feelings. This is not to say such rules cannot be developed, but it's an underlying design issue.

A relatively low-impact solution to this problem is to allow Force-wielders to use powers they do not otherwise have access to by spending a Force Point; Luke hadn't necessarily been taught a power that would allow him to do this, but he was in the throes of a dramatically appropriate moment, so spending the Force Point gave him access to it.[/i]
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree. I don't think it should be "a force power," but rather a function of the sense skill itself.

On the other hand, you run into issues when you make it a die-roll-based function:

What happens on a failure? Is no information gained? Is false information gained (you think it's true, but it isn't or vice versa)? In the latter case, the power would be rendered useless: the character would never KNOW that his "feelings" were correct because sometimes when he thinks he's right, he turns out to be wrong after all, so it effectively becomes a mystical "hunch" or "gut feeling" for no particular reason at all.

Are there scenes wherein the character "knows" the force is telling him something, but then he turns out to be wrong? I don't recall any off hand, which leads me to believe that the power should have two possible outcomes:

Either: 1) No information is gained (there is no "feeling" to search) or 2) the power is always correct when a feeling is given. But it can never be wrong (whether it should be able to indirectly reveal deception is a different question, and one that I think is also important to address).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

Are there scenes wherein the character "knows" the force is telling him something, but then he turns out to be wrong? I don't recall any off hand, which leads me to believe that the power should have two possible outcomes:

I think this happened a couple times in Rebels, to Ezra... he knew the Force was telling him SOMETHING, but he misinterpreted it to be in line with what he wanted. But, well, that goes well with "Successful roll with mishap", really... he heard what was being said, but also heard what he wanted.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that we have a system built entirely on Force powers as a subset of Force skills, so absent a different system, any Force ability a character uses must be a subset of a Force power.

I've argued elsewhere that there needs to be a system for certain powers to "instinctively" activate - for lack of a better word - and something like this would seem to at least partially fall under that heading, but in order for it to work, there needs to be some sort of structure set up for it. And that means a Force power.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
You're missing my point. The idea is that there are multiple examples in-universe that point to Jedi having a certain degree of intuitive knowledge. Not just in pivotal lightsaber battles, but in other instances, as well.

I did miss that subtle point. My apologies.
But I'm still resistant to the idea of adding a random dicy mechanic to what ought to be a story-based element. I say, leave it up to the player to decide what he wants to believe of the stories or claims posed to him by various NPCs. I wouldn't want to end up telling a player "You believe him", instead of "This is what he says." If I really want the PCs to trust in what is being claimed (because it does happen to be true) then I would simply say to the Force-users in the party, without making any roll, "You seem to have a good feeling about this." That would really be the extent of my interference with any choices to be made by the players or their PC's.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the fence myself. I've read up on similar powers for other systems, usually something divination or augury related, where the power user gets a simple "yes/no" or "good/bad", possibly with "neither" or "unclear / good & bad" results. I did write a power called Force Intuition a while back for a Force Sensitive Gambler, where the "Force Hunch" played into his success at gambling, but looking back on it, it reads more like a concept of a Force power than an actual rule for one.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Search Your Feelings, You Know It To Be True... Reply with quote

In RAW, you can use the Con skill or base Perception to ascertain whether someone is being dishonest or not. A couple of us support a separate Perception skill that can do that, Discernment, which is some ways is like the Sense Motive mechanic from d20.

The game has a lot of powers that aren't explicitly used in the films, but a lot of them seem like they are something natural that the Force could do. Even disregarding film evidence, I feel sensing the truth or falseness of a statement is a very realistic and apropos ability that Force could provide. I feel it was an oversight not putting this in RAW in the first place.

I feel that just like detecting a con without the Force, it isn't any inherent truth of the statement itself being discerned - Even with the Force, you are still reading the speaker of the statement for honesty. Do they believe what they said was true? Or is there some motive they might have to con you?

Mechanically, I'm not sure how to handle it. Should it not be a power and instead just an inherent enhancement to discerning the truth that comes from having the Sense skill? Just add the Sense dice to attempts discern if something is a con or not? And should the speaker have the option to resist the Force aspect in some way (with and/or without the Force) if they are lying and want pull a con on the character, perhaps by adding to a secret difficulty so the character attempting to sense truth doesn't know it is being resisted?

Sorry I'm not in the right mind frame to work out the mechanics and be more helpful, but I wanted to express support for the concept of the Force being able to help in some way to sense the truth. This seems like such a basic thing the Force should be help with.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if it were just a Force-based lie detector (i.e. detecting whether or not someone is telling the truth or a lie as they believe it), it would probably just be a subset of Receptive Telepathy. Either that or simply allow a Force Sensitive character to substitute their Sense roll for Con / Discernment on the opposed roll to spot it.

But what if it's the difference between relative truth and absolute truth? Suppose, for example, a con man tells the Jedi what he believes to be a lie, but it is actually the truth. For (admittedly far-fetched) example, if a someone were to lie to a Jedi and say "the hostages are still alive," even though that person honestly believed that the hostages had already been killed. However, the liar had himself been told a lie, and the hostages were all still alive. Which truth would the Jedi detect: the truth as the liar believed it to be, or the absolute truth of which the liar was unaware?

Or, if as with Vader upon seeing the first visuals of Echo Base on Hoth, there was no lie to detect, just an absolute truth of "that is the Rebel Base"?

Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could still exist too but it is not the same thing as detecting a liar. That would seem to be a form of precognition/clairvoyance, so "Farseeing" maybe? I'm not sure if that necessarily warrants a new power, but maybe.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

But what if it's the difference between relative truth and absolute truth? Suppose, for example, a con man tells the Jedi what he believes to be a lie, but it is actually the truth. For (admittedly far-fetched) example, if a someone were to lie to a Jedi and say "the hostages are still alive," even though that person honestly believed that the hostages had already been killed. However, the liar had himself been told a lie, and the hostages were all still alive. Which truth would the Jedi detect: the truth as the liar believed it to be, or the absolute truth of which the liar was unaware?

This is a really good example. A good argument could be made on either side, that the Force could read what the speaker is saying and determine the truth or falseness of the statement as believed by the speaker... or something could trigger beyond the statement into the actual truth of the actual situation, so that the Jedi could somehow detect, "No. He is himself deceived. The hostages are actually unharmed and are on... the Imperial ship Doomgiver."
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to account for this gem in considering the mechanics of Truth;

"What I told you was true, from a certain point of view... Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

"What I told you was true, from a certain point of view... Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Indeed. There's probably some capability for an opposed Control roll against a Jedi attempting to do this, but it could also be that Luke simply didn't know enough about the Force to be able to sense shades of true and false in what Obi-wan told him. It could also be a deliberate phrasing choice on Obi-wan's part to muddy the waters.

Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Indeed. There's probably some capability for an opposed Control roll against a Jedi attempting to do this, but it could also be that Luke simply didn't know enough about the Force to be able to sense shades of true and false in what Obi-wan told him. It could also be a deliberate phrasing choice on Obi-wan's part to muddy the waters.

Don't forget Obi-Wan also said, "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." If that were true, Obi-Wan would be a Sith. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Actually, I believe this falls into the same category of "canon" as Leia kissing Luke and "Darth" being a first name, etc.

That is to say that what Obi-Wan said in ANH was "true" at the time, until GL retconned that part of the story, and then had to reconcile it later.

It's one of those things that I hand wave away for the sake of maintaining my own suspension of disbelief.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: