The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Upcoming Conventions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Upcoming Conventions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Upcoming Conventions Reply with quote

Fresh from meeting Bruce Boxleitner and Andy Robinson at Cyphacon, I wondered about other cons and guest appearances. We've had threads for specific cons in the past but not one for any gatherings that catch our attention. I'm not posting links or endorsements, these are just the few in my area that have caught my attention. Please join the discussion and help get out the information about appearances in your area:

Comicpalooza runs May 10-12th in Houston TX. Some featured guests are:

• ACTORS
  • Emilia Clark
  • Gates McFadden
  • Michael Dorn
  • Billy Zane
  • Mira Furlan
  • nearly all the cast of The Tick!

• AUTHORS & ARTISTS
  • Timothy Zahn
  • Neal Adams
  • Dan Jurgens
  • Bob Layton
  • Jae Lee

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only been twice in all my years of Con going, i've even bothered meeting any of the special guests..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
There's only been twice in all my years of Con going, i've even bothered meeting any of the special guests..

The year we both played at the same table without knowing it at Origins, I met Chewbacca actor Peter Mayhew. There was no one else around and we chatted for 10 minutes before a group came up. I hope you met Chewbacca! At another Origins, I chatted with Timothy Zahn one-on-one for 10 minutes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The group i game with, Sparks, twice now has held a private game session for SW authors. First was Salvatore, then came Zahn.. Pity i was not on the table for either...
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notes from Comicpalooza:

Talked with Tim Zahn for about an hour after watching his panel. Great guy! It was his decision to kill Thrawn (because otherwise the Empire would win). We chatted about a wide variety of subjects and I would absolutely recommend visiting with Mr. Zahn if the opportunity presents itself.

Michael Dorn was surprisingly soft-spoken, but he did become animated when our conversation turned to jets.

Both Gates McFadden and Mira Furlan are very cordial, classy ladies. My respect for both is even higher now and I feel blessed to have visited with them.

Emilia Clarke is tiny! My first thought (thankfully not spoken) was how much taller she looks on TV. Our interaction was limited to 'Hello! *picture snaps* 'Thank you! Bye!' because of the need to cycle about a thousand fans through (not exaggerating - those lines were huge).

Overall, very fun for a big con. We'll return next year.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Emilia Clarke is tiny! My first thought (thankfully not spoken) was how much taller she looks on TV.

Yeah, she's only 5'2. I remember people complaining that Emilia Clarke was miscast as Danerys because Danerys is described in the novels (if I recall correctly) as a taller than average woman and Emilia Clarke is so short.

Then they saw her perform and they very quickly shut up. Rightfully so, as she's a very talented actress.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Talked with Tim Zahn for about an hour after watching his panel. Great guy!

An hour?! Nice guy, but when I talked to him it was only about 5 minutes before he started trying to shift the conversation to his latest Earth-based novel about a cloaked missile, which I pointed out was like the cloaked asteroids in the TTT.

Pel wrote:
Talked with Tim Zahn for about an hour after watching his panel. Great guy! It was his decision to kill Thrawn (because otherwise the Empire would win).

But... it was so artistically done.

Pel wrote:
Michael Dorn was surprisingly soft-spoken, but he did become animated when our conversation turned to jets.

The New York Jets?

Pel wrote:
Gates McFadden

My Star Trek celebrity encounter was meeting Nichelle Nichols back at my only Trek convention, in high school. She was surprisingly funny. I remember she told a friend and me a BTS story about the lady in TVH who said, "Oh I don't know the answer to that. I think it's across the bay, in Alameda."

Pel wrote:
Emilia Clarke is tiny! My first thought (thankfully not spoken) was how much taller she looks on TV.

I've had this experience multiple times. Short people rarely ever appear that short due to TV/movie magic, but then you see them in real life. I saw Ice Cube (maybe 5'8") a few years ago and he just looked tiny.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

But... it was so artistically done.

Very much so. I was just curious who gave the kill order, if it was Zahn or someone at Lucasarts. Mr. Zahn is very protective of Thrawn and rightfully so. Very cool and unique character.

Quote:

The New York Jets?

Nope, fighter jets. He used to fly an F-86 Sabre, but sold it years ago. He's regretted that decision and wants another old fighter. One of the best one on one celebrity talks I've had yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: