The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/star-wars-cover-story?verso=true

Vanity Fair article with some new images
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Sith Troopers Reply with quote

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sith_trooper

I find that I am still not that excited for TRoS. Red stormtroopers are a cool idea for an elite force, but I've never cared for the First Order helmet design.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of not excited because I don't want to see a fandom fight all over again.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'm kind of not excited because I don't want to see a fandom fight all over again.

Sad when fans would almost prefer no more Star Wars movies just to not have more division in the fandom. One positive side effect of the fan division over the ST is that it has almost completely hushed fanboy whining about the PT. I do find it quite refreshing to almost never hear about Lucas raping childhoods anymore. Of course that unfortunately means that some fans will just complain about whatever the current Star Wars is.

I am optimistic that fan division will lessen over time as they run Star Wars completely into the ground and we all unanimously hate it. Wink
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am optimistic that fan division will lessen over time as they run Star Wars completely into the ground and we all unanimously hate it.

I seriously hope not, I actually like the new stuff... I just block/ignore the angry "fans".
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:
I am optimistic that fan division will lessen over time as they run Star Wars completely into the ground and we all unanimously hate it.

I seriously hope not, I actually like the new stuff... I just block/ignore the angry "fans".

Yeah, I'm very much liking the new stuff myself. Admittedly, though I do have a few issues here and there with the ST, overall I'm happy with it. Other people's opinions of Star Wars never mattered much to my enjoyment of it over the years. Why would that change now?

And holy crap, all the undeserved crap that got dumped on Kelly Marie Tran by supposed "fans" of Star Wars who tried to fat-shame her just makes me want to see TRoS as many times in the theater as I can afford just to boost the ST's ticket sales to make the haters shut up.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly like the new stuff too.

Raven Redstar wrote:
I seriously hope not, I actually like the new stuff...

I hope not too, and everyone here should know by now I am not really a 'doom and gloom' kind of person. But even with a wisely reduced film frequency, it is still inevitable that Star Wars will be ran into ground, sooner or later. And unfortunately I was joking in my last post - There will always be people who like Star Wars and those who don't, so there will always be fan division. I'd have to say that significant fan division within this franchise started in 1983 and never left.

Sutehp wrote:
And holy crap, all the undeserved crap that got dumped on Kelly Marie Tran by supposed "fans" of Star Wars who tried to fat-shame her

Fat-shaming? That's news to me. I thought she was the victim of old fashion racism and misogyny.

Sutehp wrote:
all the undeserved crap that got dumped on Kelly Marie Tran by supposed "fans" of Star Wars... just makes me want to see TRoS as many times in the theater as I can afford just to boost the ST's ticket sales to make the haters shut up.

By that logic, the haters have already been shut the hell up. TLJ grossed $1,332,539,889! The haters are a very vocal minority and ticket sales obviously do nothing to shut them up.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I am optimistic that fan division will lessen over time as they run Star Wars completely into the ground and we all unanimously hate it. Wink

I try to be as objective as possible about this stuff. If I were to honestly list the pros and cons of the first three films, then I think the reality is, things that are on my list of pros would be seen to be diminishing across the history of the film releases. While things that are part of the cons would be seen to be increasing.

So it's not like it's too surprising. It could have been avoided, but looking back, it's a pretty logical chain of events to follow the release of the first three films. I really can't blame any one director or anything. Entropy just caught up to my favorite franchise. As it will tend to do.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
And holy crap, all the undeserved crap that got dumped on Kelly Marie Tran by supposed "fans" of Star Wars who tried to fat-shame her

Fat-shaming? That's news to me. I thought she was the victim of old fashion racism and misogyny.

Take a look at this tweet from right-wing commentator Paul Ray Ramsey where he shows a side-by-side picture of Grace Park (actress from Battlestar Galactica) and Kelly Marie Tran and says
Quote:
"Battlestar Galactica Asian vs. #LastJedi Asian. Obviously, The First Order failed to cut off the #Resistance supply line of food."

If that's not fat-shaming, what is? But yeah, the old fashioned racism and misogyny are mixed right in there too.

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
all the undeserved crap that got dumped on Kelly Marie Tran by supposed "fans" of Star Wars... just makes me want to see TRoS as many times in the theater as I can afford just to boost the ST's ticket sales to make the haters shut up.

By that logic, the haters have already been shut the hell up. TLJ grossed $1,332,539,889! The haters are a very vocal minority and ticket sales obviously do nothing to shut them up.

Maybe, but it's still satisfying to see so many people defying the haters by going to see a movie the haters told them not to see. Any act of defiance against the bigots (even if it's something we would have done anyway) is a plus.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Take a look at this tweet from right-wing commentator Paul Ray Ramsey where he shows a side-by-side picture of Grace Park (actress from Battlestar Galactica) and Kelly Marie Tran and says
Quote:
"Battlestar Galactica Asian vs. #LastJedi Asian. Obviously, The First Order failed to cut off the #Resistance supply line of food."

If that's not fat-shaming, what is? But yeah, the old fashioned racism and misogyny are mixed right in there too.

I'm not saying that's not fat-shaming. I only said that was news to me. One twitter account fat-shaming her, or even several more not shared here, probably did not anywhere near equate to the utter onslaught of racial and sexist hatred she received. I'm fat and I am somewhat self-ashamed of it, but hearing that she was fat-shamed by a few enema bags nowhere nearly outrages me as much as her being bombarded by racist and misogynist hatred from so-called Star Wars fans. But if the few people fat-shaming her is what calls you to support a movie with her, then more power to you.

And FYI, I removed the link to the fat shamer because he was described as right wing as we do not share political content here. In fact, the quality of him being "right wing" seems beside the point of fat-shaming so didn't need even mentioned at all. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever they say about her, I think the Tico sisters are the most (possibly only) interesting post-1983 Star Wars content outside of Rogue One.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think it's come up before...but apparently the box office hurt that was meant for TLJ was instead felt by Solo. Which kinda sucks, because the Solo movie seems like an innocent pedestrian caught in a drive-by in this issue of dislike for TLJ.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Quote:

I think it's come up before...but apparently the box office hurt that was meant for TLJ was instead felt by Solo. Which kinda sucks, because the Solo movie seems like an innocent pedestrian caught in a drive-by in this issue of dislike for TLJ.

Agreed. It still floors me when I remember that the Uptown theater (one of the bigger seating and huge screen theaters in DC) where I saw Solo was almost near empty on opening night. Let that sink in: a Star Wars movie near empty on opening night in May. I knew right off that was not normal. And at least Solo made back its budget and then some (Budget: $275–300 million and Box Office: $392.9 million).
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Quote:

I might be alone in this. But of the three (TFA, TLJ, Solo) I liked watching TLJ the best of the 3. Which is not to say I think it's on par with Shakespeare. But it's the only one I've rewatched on the small screen for whatever that's worth.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you are alone in it (which I'm sure you are not), enjoy what you enjoy. Don't let any part of a fandom tell you what you can and can't like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: