The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The REAL Star Wars Day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The REAL Star Wars Day Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The SEs having new stuff was the biggest marketing draw. A straight rerelease would not have grossed what the SEs did.

This is very true. We were extremely excited to get a few new seconds of Star Wars in 1997. I liked the new scenes. But if I had to pick only one to re-watch from now on, I'd want the one I watched as a kid playing with Micro Collection toys on the living room floor in front of the tv. I never noticed until just now but I may have overreacted in years past, to a perceived refusal to release old versions on DVD. As I look at the timeline, it seems comparable to a lot of industry norms. The issue was maybe created by the nationwide switchover from VHS to DVD happening around the same time.

Whill wrote:

So if you like any Star Wars film beyond the first three, or any of the rest of the gigantic franchise available today, you have the SEs to thank for that, whether you like the SE alterations or not.

I may be biased, but I think the biggest debt after 1985 is owed to West End Games.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I may be biased, but I think the biggest debt after 1985 is owed to West End Games.

WEG is the main foundation of the EU, and the RPG certainly held the candle until Zahn came. But it is possible that Thrawn Trilogy could have resulted in the resurgence of Star Wars even if WEG hadn't.

Is WEG what got the franchise to the point of there even being Thrawn? Is the publishing franchise resulting from Thrawn what made the Special Editions and thus the last 7 films possible? It is possible that is all goes back to Zahn or WEG, but more difficult to show that. The SEs financing TPM, TPM in turn financing AotC and RotS, and the resulting franchise as a whole leading to the Disney sale are more plain and direct to demonstrate.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well anyways. Here's the bean bag toss we made for the day. Bean bags sewn from the same fabric as the tablecloth in the earlier picture.
https://i.imgur.com/2hpQW2v.jpg

Starting on a Rebel Fleet Trooper costume for next year, and for various local Star Wars events. I don't want to be 3rd or 4th Luke or Han at an event, and I want my face uncovered for kid-wrangling.

Windfall: I am researching what children of Star Wars wear. My daughter rejects Cindel's clothes. However, they are both awestruck by Jyn Erso and I happen to have the exact fabric for her Coruscant PJ's. It's a textural red linen. So everyone is on board with making red PJ's as their Star Wars costumes. If I make them kind boxy, it'll take them over a year to outgrow.

A lot of convention and LARP costumers just reach for the cheapest cloth in the right color, this is not good. It's what makes the difference between clothes and costumes. By using good linen it'll actually look like the movie. Also they'll be far more comfortable to wear.

The best part is, this big piece of red linen was only $2.99 at a second hand store. Doing things right doesn't have to be expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: