The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Who was your first president?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Who was your first president? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was the U.S. President when you were born?
Kennedy or earlier
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Lyndon Johnson
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Richard Nixon
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
Gerald Ford
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Jimmy Carter
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
Ronald Reagan
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
George Bush
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bill Clinton
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
George W. Bush
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 29

Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carter for me. Only for a couple years, though, and I don't really remember him.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did any of you young whippersnappers see Star Wars in a movie theater during its first run?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
So did any of you young whippersnappers see Star Wars in a movie theater during its first run?

Yup, in Rockville Maryland. If I remember right, it was in a movie theater at or near the Congressional Mall. That theater disappeared decades ago. I was only 5 years old at the time but damn, I still remember how that Star Destroyer seemed to go on forever across that movie screen....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

I'm told by my parents that I did, but I was only 3-4* years old at the time, so I have no clear memory of it. My mom tells me that I kept ducking behind the seat in front of me during the scary parts. But somewhere in there, I got hooked.

*My birthday is in July, so if I went to see it during the initial release, I would've been roughly 3 years & 10 months old.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Yep, back then I was a young whippersnapper. My dad took my younger brother and me. It wasn't my very first theatrical film, but it was one of the first. It was most likely the first PG film my brother and I had seen in the theater. My brother doesn't remember anything except for the fact that he was there. I have some very vivid memories of it.

Whill wrote:
We were all completely enthralled with the opening sequence, and I remember hearing whoas, oohs and ahs from the surrounding audience showing how much we were all just blown away. When the droids walked through the blaster shoot-out unscathed, the entire audience erupted into laughter like it was the funniest thing we had ever seen. Then all sound from the audience was suddenly extinguished as Darth Vader came aboard the Rebel vessel. At that moment, I became completely oblivious to my dad, brother and the surrounding audience. The theater faded away and I was magically transported to this far away time and galaxy...

...As Obi-Wan's voice was heard guiding Luke in the final battle, I felt like I was the ghost floating in Luke's X-Wing cockpit... No! Luke's friend from back home is blown up! Death Star in range in 30 seconds. Use the Force, Luke. So many Rebels had been shot down, and Red Leader couldn't make the shot with the targeting computer, but I know Luke can if he can only get to the thermal exhaust port in time before Vader gets him. Oh no! Vader blasts Artoo! Luke is totally alone. The Death Star has cleared the planet! Vader has a target lock! What?! Vader's starboard wingman is blasted! Han came back! Yahoo!! Vader's other wingman veers out of control into Vader which causes him to spin out of the trench! You're all clear, kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home! Luke lets the torpedoes go and releases his held breath. They find their mark. Get out of there!! Death Star goes BOOOOM!!!! Great shot, kid! That was one in a million! The Force will be with you, always. Vader gains control and flies away. Artoo gets fixed, and the Rebels have a celebration ceremony to give Luke and Han awards...

As the Rebels begin to applause, suddenly I am transported back to the theater as my dad, brother and the entire audience is also standing up and applauding with the Rebels... The standing ovation continued into the end credits, and then we walked out of the theater and back to the car, humming the score. On the way home we all said we liked it but were mostly quiet, slowly shaking off the aftershock daze of the most unique and fantastic experience.

When we got home, my brother and I started to be kids again, and commenced running around the house as if we were Han and Luke blasting stormtroopers back on the Death Star. I barely heard my mom complain that it was past our bedtime, and my dad said, "Honey, we're going to have to just let them run around for a while. We just had the greatest adventure of our lives."

And it was my only theatrical viewing of the original version of the original Star Wars film. My dad, brother, and I likewise saw the other two classic films theatrically one time each (RotJ in a newer screen added on to the same theater as SW). In 1997 I saw the Star Wars Special Edition six times in the theater, twice on opening day (with two separate groups of friends).

In early 2016, my brother, my son, my childhood friend (since before RotJ), and I SAW TFA in the same theater my brother and I had seen the original Star Wars, sitting in very nearly the same seats. The Strand is the tenth oldest movie theater still in operation in the US (It opened in 1916). They have maintained as much of the original decor as possible.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whippersnapper was 4 when I saw Star Wars for the first time(not sure if it was my first movie). The line was HUGE. My only memory was struggling to remember Han Solo's name because he was such a cowboy with a cool ship and large dog-man for a friend.

Fortunately, my mom loved the movie, too, and it played for what seemed like years, so we saw it dozens of times (it also helped that they re-released the movie when Empire and Jedi came out). We also had the Story of Star Wars LP, as well as novels, comics, and books-on-tape to keep the story fresh in my young mind (and my younger siblings' minds, as well).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember 1) long lines, 2) how impressive the Star Destroyer was in the opening scene, 3) driving way too fast on the way out of the parking lot after the film.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was born Nixon was president of the USA.

By the time I was old enough to understand the concept of President of the USA it was Carter.

As a Canadian, watching primarily US TV stations as a kid, it takes a few years to really realize the US and Canada are two distinct places.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, geez.... Am I the youngest one here? Regan for me.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it in the theater, but it came to our small town in 78, so I was almost 5
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Someone has to be the youngest and someone else the oldest.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1...2...3.... not it!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

jmanski wrote:
1...2...3.... not it!

Someone answered the poll with "Kennedy or earlier" and it wasn't me. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Naaman wrote:

LOL. We're a bunch of middle aged gamers. I see an action-comedy in there somewhere.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Bren wrote:
Naaman wrote:

LOL. We're a bunch of middle aged gamers. I see an action-comedy in there somewhere.

An action comedy that will likely involve middle-aged Star Wars geeks fighting with middle-aged Star Trek geeks, I'll bet. Wait, wasn't that done already?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: