The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Death Troopers and Shadow Troopers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Death Troopers and Shadow Troopers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Death Troopers and Shadow Troopers Reply with quote

Death Troopers vs Shadow Troopers (aka Blackhole troopers)

Has anyone got a sense of how these two relate to each other?
As in which one is more 'elite', or the relative tasks assigned?

Are they on par with each other?

I've read somewhere that the Death Troopers in Rogue One are roughly equivalent to the Empire's version of US Navy SEALs.

What would be an analogy of Shadow Troopers.

If there is no canon, I'm just looking for opinions and conjecture to help me form my own head canon on the matter.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let me start off by telling you that "US Navy SEALs" are some bad mammajammas, but they are given a certain mystique by the Naval propaganda machine that creates some misconceptions about where they "rank" in terms of "elite-ness."

The US military has a "Tier" structure. According to my understanding (based on what is publicly available), a Navy SEAL is a Tier 2 or Tier 3 operator.

SEAL Team 6 would be tier 1 (along with Delta Force, which might be approximately "as elite" as the British SAS).

A Navy SEAL is generally considered to be on par with an Army Ranger or Recon Marine, if that clarifies anything for you.

(In other words, if the Shadow Troopers/Death Troopers are supposed to be the best of the best of the best of the best, then Navy SEAL comes close, but there are other elements out there that most people don't know of that are even more selective than the SEALs).

Check out Special Activities Division/SOG. Also look at RRD (Ranger Regimental Reconnaissance) for some lesser known units that might help to inform your approach to the Shadow Troopers/Death Troopers.

EDIT:
After reading about them some on Wookieepedia, there are a few real world comparisons that come to mind.

First, the Shadow Troopers originated as troops belonging to the Empire's intelligence branch. This would suggest that their main role is reconnaissance, but that have a highly developed military skill set to include direct action operations (somewhat like a Recon Marine).

It also says that they are trained to carry out infiltration and ambush attacks (which is basically generic to spec ops in general), and implies that they conduct large scale raids/assaults at an elite level (like the Army Rangers).

The Wookieepedia article on Death Troopers seems to put them more in line with what Delta Force might do (based on what I think I know from reading/conversations/documentaries/TV... for whatever that might be worth).

There is a lot of "bodyguarding" attributed to them, which is something that Delta is know to have done (General Schwartzkopf used to travel around with a PSD comprised of Delta soldiers, for example), as well as other super secret elite type stuff, like performing a mission without leaving a trace, etc.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also wondering about the duplication of effort, and how much cross-over or competition there might be in mission type.

If Shadow Troopers are an extension of intelligence branch, might they be analogue to the CIA Special Activities Division?

Would a Death Trooper be selected to become a Shadow Trooper the way a Navy Seal might be selected to join the SAG?

Or would it be the other way around...or would they be two completely different career paths?

Or can we look at the WWII NAZI model of things with the Death Troopers being like the SS Sonderlehrgang zbV Friedenthal; (SS literally translates as Protection Squadron), and this branch was selected for special forces type missions,

And the Shadow Troopers like the Brandenburgers, which according to wikipedia says "Originally the unit was formed by and operated as an extension of the military's intelligence organ, the Abwehr. Members of this unit took part in seizing operationally important targets by way of sabotage and infiltration. Being foreign German nationals who were convinced Nazi volunteers, constituent members had lived abroad and were proficient in foreign languages as well as being familiar with the way of life in the area of operations where they were deployed."

If that were the case, the two organizations were rivals and there wouldn't be any movement between them.

Thoughts and opinions?

Maybe the Navy SEALs comment was an off the cuff remark by someone in the film industry to get the point across that the Death Troopers are special, by using a common frame of reference, as purported by the Naval Propaganda mystique you mention?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Thoughts and opinions?
Rivals. Definitely rivals.

Everybody wants to think they are the best of the best, but obviously not everyone can be the best. So there will always be rivalry for status, attention, resources, and promotion between different units in the same branch as well as between branches. And even between officers in your own branch.

The way I see it, the vast majority of Imperials will be more concerned with rivals (and enemies) inside the Empire than with those pitiful few Rebels outside an Imperial organization. And the average Imperial will spend most of their time, energy, and attention on looking good to their superiors and one-upping these internal rivals.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Rivals. Definitely rivals.

Everybody wants to think they are the best of the best, but obviously not everyone can be the best. So there will always be rivalry for status, attention, resources, and promotion between different units in the same branch as well as between branches. And even between officers in your own branch.

The way I see it, the vast majority of Imperials will be more concerned with rivals (and enemies) inside the Empire than with those pitiful few Rebels outside an Imperial organization. And the average Imperial will spend most of their time, energy, and attention on looking good to their superiors and one-upping these internal rivals.

This actually jibes with something I saw in the Dark Empire sourcebook: Palpatine deliberately set up so many different elite units (and levels of eliteness within particular units like how Sovereign Protectors are the elite of the Royal Guardsmen, itself an elite stormtrooper unit), in order to encourage his men to compete against each other for status. Not only did it improve the quality of his troops, it also had the benefit of making his troops too busy to plot against him because they were so busy trying to gain his favor.

He's a sneaky b@st@rd*, that Palpatine. But then he has to be, being a Sith Lord and all that.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget where i read it, but there were supposedly 3 levels TO the royal guards. One was the regular royal guardsmen, one was Crimson guardsmen, and one was Crimson shadows.. Supposedly that last bunch, were the ranks the Sovereign protectors were selected from..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I forget where i read it, but there were supposedly 3 levels TO the royal guards. One was the regular royal guardsmen, one was Crimson guardsmen, and one was Crimson shadows.. Supposedly that last bunch, were the ranks the Sovereign protectors were selected from..

Huh, I do remember hearing the term "Crimson Guardsman" but I only vaguely remember that they're a higher tier of Royal Guardsman. I remember how in Dark Empire, the Sovereign Protectors are the cream of the Royal Guardsmen crop and that they've been...altered by some Sith magic/alchemy or somesuch. The Crimson Shadows, though, those guys I don't remember at all. Not that that means anything, of course.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimson Guardsman only makes me think of GI Joe.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COMPNOR rules the roost, doesn't it? Laughing
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

So that's why the term sounded so familiar! I knew I heard it somewhere!

Ray wrote:

Those COMPNOR guys from the Imperial Sourcebook are scary, even moreso now that CRM has been expanding on them with that project of his. Shocked
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

So that's why the term sounded so familiar! I knew I heard it somewhere!

Yo Joe.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:

Indeed,

Doesn't COMPNOR have it's own branch of special operations types??
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Ray wrote:

Indeed,

Doesn't COMPNOR have it's own branch of special operations types??

I know that they have their own military branch, known as COMPForce. Their quality as soldiers is decidedly mixed as they're known as "COMPFarce" in both Rebel and Imperial circles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: