The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Warhammer Tech
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Warhammer Tech Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Interestingly enough a little searching on the Internet led me to discover that the Sternguard have an AP5 Hellfire round which works more like the one you describe. It still has no discernible effect on inorganic targets (including landspeeders and Ork buggies which I would say are the 40K equivalent to the speeders and swoops) but it is great at slaughtering monstrous creatures.

The problem I have is that the only mention I can find of Hellfire rounds (including searching through several of the appropriate codices) is in the 3E rulebook and the Inquisitor main rulebook. Little or no description is given, and it merely says that Hellfire rounds replace the core and tip with a vial of mutagenic acid (nothing is said about replacing the entire solid shell of the bolt) and that they inflict more damage if they penetrate armor; nothing is mentioned about them inflicting less damage against any type of target. There is a reference citation referring to page 100 of the 5E Space Marines codex, but since I don't have that book, I can't verify its contents.

As such, I go with what I have; the bolt shell still has a solid metal casing, even if the tip has been replaced, and no mention is made of the bolt traveling at slower velocity. In addition, since these chemicals would have their peak effect if delivered directly into the target's blood stream, I think having them splatter all over the target would actually make them less effective. As such, I'm going to stick with what I have. Thank you for your input, though.

However, I did find some cool ideas for new bolter shell types... More to come.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited the Bolter Ammo Types section to include Sabot Slugs, Mono-Wire Shells and Breacher Shells. Also edited some of the weapon ranges to adjust for a miscalculation made while converting the stats.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got stuck for a while on Melta-Guns. Not sure if I like the stats or not, so I'm going to post for opinions.

Melta-Guns

The Melta-Gun is designed to melt its target away with a blast of near-unstoppable super-heat. It is heavy and bulky and has a short range, but its high damage potential makes it a deadly effective weapon. However, the massive amount of heat can be harmful to the gunner as well, so a heat-resistant armor suit is a must for most gunners.

Melta-Gun
Scale: Character
Skill: Blaster: Melta-Gun
Ammo: 10
Range: 3-10/30/120
Fire Control (by Range): +1 / +1D / +1D+2 / +2D+1
Rate of Fire: 4D / 5D Auto-Fire (5D uses 5 Shots)
Damage: 5D / 4D / 3D / 1D+2
Special:
-Sustained Fire (See Below)
-Heat Bloom (Base Damage -3D)
-Slow (-1D penalty to Move and Fire in the same round, in addition to any MAPs)

Multi-Melta
Skill: Blaster: Multi-Melta
Ammo: 20
Range: 3-50/100/200
Rate of Fire: 4D /5D Auto-Fire (5D uses 5 Shots)
Fire Control (by Range): +1 / +1D / +1D+2 / +2D+1
Rate of Fire: 4D Auto-Fire
Damage: 6D / 5D / 4D / 2D+2
Special:
-Sustained Fire (See Below)
-Heat Bloom (Base Damage -2D)
-Heavy (Characters can not move at All-Out speed while carrying a Multi-Melta)

SPECIAL RULES:
Sustained Fire
If the Melta-Weapon is focused on a single target for a full round burst (full 5D Auto-Fire applied to Damage), it receives a coordination bonus to base Damage.
    Consecutive Rounds Attacked = Damage Bonus
    2 = +1D
    3 = +1D+2
    4 = +2D
    5 = +2D+1
    6 = +2D+1
    7 = +2D+2
    8 = +3D
Heat Bloom
Sustained fire from a Melta-Gun can generate harmful levels of heat for the gunner. In game terms, every round the Melta-Gun is fired, roll normal Energy Damage against the gunner, equal to the Base Damage (see individual stats) + Amount of Fire Control Dice used + any bonuses from Sustained Fire.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind Hood (aka Psychic Hood)

Capsule: This device is issued exclusively to anti-Jedi stormtrooper teams. Built into a standard stormtrooper helmet, the hood is composed of an intricate pattern of crystal filaments that distort the effects of the Force, disrupting a Force user's ability to manipulate the mind of the wearer.

Game Use: A Mind Hood provides a +4D bonus to Willpower to resist Force Powers. Force users can't make use of Mind Hoods, as the hood also disrupts their attempts to utilize their powers (-4D to all Force Skills when wearing a Mind Hood).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Las-Cannon

This powerful energy weapon is used in Imperial Army Assault units as an anti-vehicle and anti-emplacement weapon. Bulky and cumbersome, the las-cannon is nevertheless a useful tool for infantry units in a high-tech battlefield. A las-cannon gunner is almost always accompanied by a spotter who helps identify potential targets, as well as carrying extra ammunition.

Type: Shoulder-Fired Light Laser Cannon
Scale: Swoop (+2D)
Skill: Blaster: Las-Cannon
Cost: 6,000 (Availability 2, X)
Fire Rate: 1
Range: 100m-250m/500m/1km
Damage: 6D
Special:
-Heavy (Characters can not move at All-Out speed while carrying a Multi-Melta)

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long time coming, but here are stats for Plasma Guns. I took some liberties with the recharge rates as described in Rogue Trader, but IMO, this is still pretty close. Just a few more ranged weapons to wrap up, and then I plan on doing some of the close-combat weapons...

Plasma Weapons

Plasma weapons fires a hail of plasma bolts: small packets of super-heated energy. The weapon uses a vast amount of power, and for this reason needs to be energized for 1 round before each shot. The plasma pistol is essentially the same firing mechanism as the larger plasma gun, but in a smaller package, with reduced ammo capacity and rate of fire. The larger heavy plasma gun takes the opposite approach, and is more lethal than the standard plasma gun, but also more bulky and cumbersome. Most of its bulk is taken up by the power packs needed to feed it, as they are far larger than basic energy packs. Because of this, the heavy plasma gun can fire either of two different kinds of shot: sustained fire and maximal fire. Sustained fire uses only a small amount of available energy, so the weapon does not need to energize to fire in this mode. Maximal fire, on the other hand, releases all of the stored energy in a single cataclysmic blast.

Plasma Gun
Type: Plasma Gun
Skill: Blaster: Plasma Gun
Ammo: 20
Range: 3-60/120/300
Damage: 7D (Must spend 1 round charging up before it can be fired.)

Plasma Pistol
Type: Plasma Pistol
Skill: Blaster: Plasma Pistol
Range: 3-10/30/150
Damage: 6D (Must spend 1 round charging up before it can be fired.)
Game Note: +1D to Blaster @ Point Blank Range

Heavy Plasma Gun
Type: Plasma Gun
Scale: Swoop (+2D)
Skill: Blaster: Plasma Gun
Ammo: 80
Sustained Mode:
--Range: 3-60/150/400
--Fire Rate: 1D Auto-Fire
--Damage: 6D (Must spend 1 round charging up before it can be fired.)
Maximal Mode
--Fire Rate: 1/3 (must recharge for 2 rounds before firing again in either mode).
--Range: 12-120/300/800
--Damage: 8D (Point Blast Radius (Must spend 2 rounds charging up before it can be fired.)
Special:
-Heavy (Characters cannot move at All-Out speed while carrying a Multi-Melta)

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the more unique articles produced in the WH40K universe was this little gem, which was utilized by Imperial Assassins.

Syn-Skin
Capsule:
This highly classified material is a spray-on second skin. Developed for Imperial Intelligence for use in covert operations, it is a zealously guarded secret among the upper echelons of the Empire, and is used especially for covert operations in which it is essential that no trace of the operative be left behind.

Syn-Skin is airtight, watertight and proof against all gases. It is used to seal a character's natural skin, covering mouth, ears, eyes, etc, and will provide protection against hard vacuum or gas weapons. Syn-Skin feeds the body with oxygen for up to 12 hours, after which the character will asphyxiate from lack of oxygen if the material is not removed. If the character is to survive for more than 12 hours, some provision must be made for breathing. Internally worn atmosphere exchangers can be inserted, which will keep a living creature alive for a further 12 hours. Speech and hearing is afforded by a small communicator inserted into the throat and ear, and sight is afforded by a small pair of goggles that are tuned to function through the Syn-Skin.

As well as protecting the body against atmosphere, then Syn-Skin layer also feeds a booster chemical that heightens the wearer's senses, speeds his reactions and invigorates all of his physical functions. In addition, it provides protection from sensory shocks such as bright lights or sonic weapons. It can be any color (including transparent) but is usually a matte, non-reflective black.

Game Rules: +1D to Dexterity, Perception and Strength. +1D to Sneak. +4D vs. Sonic or Visual attacks (such as flash-bang grenades), +1D vs. Physical Damage. Gases and vacuum have no effect. Chemically neutral (can not be detected by smell or chemical sniffers), and prevents wearer from leaving behind forensic evidence of their presence.

Cost (Availability): 40,000 credits for one application, including solvent (4, X).

Time To Use:Syn-Skin takes 10 turns to spray on, including fitting the throat and ear pieces (12 rounds if installing the rebreather). Removing Syn-Skin requires a specific solvent; it takes 1 round to remove sufficient Syn-Skin to prevent asphyxiation, and a full 5 to completely remove.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I originally did this topic, I was mostly concentrating on banging out the basic rule concept for the various different weapon types. The primary source I was using (the 1E Warhammer 40,000 sourcebook "Rogue Trader") was pretty sparse on the different sizes of weapons, mostly grouping them into very general classes: Pistols / Close Combat Weapons, "Guns" and Heavy Weapons. However, as with the blaster weapons topic, there is a lot of room for nuance insofar as weapon sizes and the like.

To that end, I'm thinking of going through and redoing some of these stats to better represent the different scales of weapons available. For example, I'm thinking of splitting the "Gun" category into both Gun and Carbine classes, with the Carbine being shorter ranged, but more useful in close quarters, as well as capable of being modified to serve as an under-barrel attachment for a Gun-type weapon. This would, for example, allow a character with a Blaster Rifle to set up his gun as a Combi-Weapon by putting a Bolter, Plasma Gun or Melta-Gun under the barrel to suit the needs of the combat situation.

I'm also considering folding the Micro-Grenade Launcher from GG10: Bounty Hunters in with the Bolter, as there is a lot of similarity between the two systems.

Anyway, onward and upward, downward and outward.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into 40K back in 92, so just after 2E came out.

A few things come to mind here, and much of the weapons categories have been rebalanced to emphasize functional combat role differences.

As cor the bolter, I'd look at reducing the ammo capacity to less than 20. A .75 caliber round is quite fat and the magazines are nowhere near long enough to hold 50 rounds.

Recoil is a... mystery: 99% of bolt guns have no stock, and about 15% of models are shown to use one in one hand. Even the sisters of battle, who are baseline humans (and females, at that) use the bolter with every bit as much skill as the space marines.

As for damage, it seems like its base damage should be whatever you think a shotgun slug would be, and then the mass reactive explosion would add to that.

Meltaguns are classified as "assault weapons" which means that they can be fired effecfively, even when the shooter is moving very fast. They do not, however, fire bursts or salvos, so their damage is based on very powerful single "beams" aimed at specific individual targets.

Conceptually, meltaguns are the best at armor penetration in the arsenal of humanity. In 40K, the meltagun literally negates the benefits of armor and fortification. There is basically nothing that can protect against a meltagun other than some kind of force field.

Meltaguns should definitely have a high damage rating, but they should also be able to ignore scale bonuses up to a certain point (meltaguns make quick work of heavy infantry like terminators as well as heavy tanks... often taking down a massive tank with a single shot.... if you can get into range).
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did a conversion on WH40K, weapons, races, some armors, and working on more when i have the time

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Warhammer_40,000

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! I miss 40K!

Any ideas for Chain Swords and Chain Axes? I might write up a Chaos themed swoop gang and those would complete the look. Bloodsniffers?

Hmmm....what if you swapped the creatures in the "Otherspace" adventure with tyranids?

Heck! Maybe I should break out the old Space Hulk Game and let the players fight Genestealers!!!
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
i did a conversion on WH40K, weapons, races, some armors, and working on more when i have the time

AH! There we go! Very Nasty Chain weapons!

Tearing: These weapons roll one extra die for Damage, discarding the lowest die rolled.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
As cor the bolter, I'd look at reducing the ammo capacity to less than 20. A .75 caliber round is quite fat and the magazines are nowhere near long enough to hold 50 rounds.

That's fair, especially since I'm not looking at this as a direct crossover, but more using the concepts of Warhammer in a more realistic (or at least somewhat less ridiculous) fashion.

Quote:
Recoil is a... mystery: 99% of bolt guns have no stock, and about 15% of models are shown to use one in one hand. Even the sisters of battle, who are baseline humans (and females, at that) use the bolter with every bit as much skill as the space marines.

I suppose it depends on what the initial propellant force is. Bolter shells are supposed to also have some sort of gyro-jet function that greatly accelerates them once they leave the barrel, so maybe it's a combination of a directed gravity- or pressor-field effect to initially launch the rounds before the gyro-jet kicks in. Making it gravity-based would mean incorporating some form of acceleration compensator system to absorb recoil.

Quote:
As for damage, it seems like its base damage should be whatever you think a shotgun slug would be, and then the mass reactive explosion would add to that.

I already have a rule for that in the existing bolter stats on previous pages. Basically, the shot does full damage except on a Wild Dice where it punches straight through without detonating and suffers a -2D Damage penalty.

Quote:
Meltaguns are classified as "assault weapons" which means that they can be fired effectively, even when the shooter is moving very fast. They do not, however, fire bursts or salvos, so their damage is based on very powerful single "beams" aimed at specific individual targets.

I've got a cumulative damage roll drifting around here somewhere that allows certain weapons to up their damage by constant application; this applies to things like lightsabers, beam weapons, flamethrowers, melta-guns, etc.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leona Makk wrote:
OH! I miss 40K!

Any ideas for Chain Swords and Chain Axes? I might write up a Chaos themed swoop gang and those would complete the look. Bloodsniffers?

Hmmm....what if you swapped the creatures in the "Otherspace" adventure with tyranids?

Heck! Maybe I should break out the old Space Hulk Game and let the players fight Genestealers!!!

Actually, I've got a crossover concept that uses a watered-down version of the 40K universe to populate the Unknown Regions. Obviously some things won't work directly; there isn't enough room in the SW galaxy for two galaxy-spanning authoritarian xenophobic Empires. A brief rundown...
    1). The Imperial Military (Ground and Space Forces) are now the Demiurg (Dwarves), with the backstory of the Squat sub-races used as the basis for their society. IMO, the stylized look of most Imperial Navy vessels would fit with the artistic tendencies one would tend to ascribe to dwarven artisans. The Demiurg would be highly conservative and mildly xenophobic, and would retain much of the organization of the Ecclesiarchy and Adeptus Terra, especially the Adeptus Mechanicus, with technology having a highly religious aspect to it (although not in a stagnated form as in WH40K).

2). Chaos are now the Sith Empire of the Unknown Regions. The daemons could be the result of Sith Alchemy experimentation, but daemonic entities could be introduced as malevolent energy creatures inhabiting hyperspace in some fashion similar to Otherspace, like an intersecting dimension of some kind.

3). Ogryns and Beastmen would exist as primitive races and recruited as shock troops for the Demiurg and the Sith, respectively. Ratlings / Halflings would also exist essentially unchanged as a subject / ally of the Demiurg.

4). The Eldar and all their subcategories are unchanged, but the back story of the catastrophe that leveled their homeworlds would need to be changed. Perhaps have the remains of their homeworld be the location of the Sith Empire, because the apocalypse left their worlds shrouded in the Dark Side.

5). The Tau would be kept unchanged, but I have strongly considered using Tau equipment to form the Chiss military

6). Necrons would be unchanged, but their harvesting activities are for entechment (which the Ssi-Ruuk scavenged from a Necron wreck) to power their droid forms.

7). Demiurg ships would be a new race, with an almost mystical relationship with technology, able to make technology to perform near magical feats. I was thinking some cross with Gnomes and Jokaero, making these creatures more willing to interact with other species, and make them more like monkeys instead of orangutans.

8). Orks and Tyranids would be left unchanged, but reduced in scope, so that they are more of a local problem (i.e. still a big threat in the Unknown Regions, but not known to the larger galaxy) than a galaxy-wide threat.

9). The Webway would be altered to something more along the lines of the Stargate Gate Network, rather than accessing an alternate dimension (It would simplify things), and the Eldar and Necrons would use jump technology (transitioning instantly from one point to another) while the other races would use hyperdrives, except for the Tyranids, who never bother with it in the first place. Commoragh would be in a pocket dimension of some sort, ala Otherspace.

10). The Rakata and the Celestials could fit nicely with the backstory of several of the older races, like the Orks and the Necrons, as subject races begun as warrior fodder. The Eldar origins could be linked to the Celestials, as a countering warrior species to combat the Rakata's subject races.

11). Space Marines would be split off to form an elite experimental unit under the Empire, drawn from the stormtrooper corps and upgraded with bioware implants and power armor to create a cutting-edge unit of shock troops.

12). Psykers and Navigators would be more like conventional Force users, with Navigators being Force users specializing in Instinctive Astrogation, which is a necessity for travel through the hyperspace fluctuations found throughout the Unknown Regions.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:

I've seen that, but this is going to be a re-working of the stats I've posted earlier in this topic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: