The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Min # of dice as a PLAYER you should have/Die rolling aps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Min # of dice as a PLAYER you should have/Die rolling aps Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Min # of dice as a PLAYER you should have/Die rolling aps Reply with quote

This is not a just for WEG SW, but for any game.. How many dice do you think each player should have..

As a linked question. Who allows players to use Die rolling aps (well for those who do face to face gaming)??
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a minimum I would say six for Star Wars. That would almost certainly cover a newly created character.

Personally I have accomplished a life long goal of having 100 six sided dice of one style. I have been getting packs of 10 dice at the dollar store. Not bad for only having spent $10.
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many as he can carry! You can't have too many dice. I personally prefer good, solid, real dice, just as I prefer pen and paper to the use of tablets, computers and the like (although I use those extensively as a help for fast checking rules, stats and so on). I recently ordered a bunch of dice online so I could lend them to my players whenever they forgot theirs or don't have enough for a roll. With the rise of rpgs they've become cheaper nowadays, especially if ordered directly from china. Had to make a custom order mind you, every store I checked only list kits for D&D.
For WEG SW I would say six D6 is indeed a good start.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting PCs will probably have their best skills of 5D or 6D. And they have a force point. So I want 10 or 12 dice so they can roll for the force point use.

It also allows for a technique one of my players uses that when rolling the wild die. If she got a six on the wild die, she put down one die with a six showing for every six that came up on the wild die. That way it was easy to see throughout the round what she had rolled on each die roll what the total was. Keeping the dice on the table really helps when players are rolling their dice ahead of time and before I get to them in the turn order.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Min # of dice as a PLAYER you should have/Die rolling ap Reply with quote

We already had a thread about dice that compiled the prior threads about dice.

garhkal wrote:
This is not a just for WEG SW, but for any game.. How many dice do you think each player should have..

It doesn't make much sense to lump all games together for this question because the answer varies greatly per game. All games don't even use the same kind dice.

garhkal wrote:
for WEG SW... How many dice do you think each player should have..
Bren wrote:
Starting PCs will probably have their best skills of 5D or 6D. And they have a force point. So I want 10 or 12 dice so they can roll for the force point use.

It also allows for a technique one of my players uses that when rolling the wild die. If she got a six on the wild die, she put down one die with a six showing for every six that came up on the wild die. That way it was easy to see throughout the round what she had rolled on each die roll what the total was. Keeping the dice on the table really helps when players are rolling their dice ahead of time and before I get to them in the turn order.

Agreed. For Star Wars and other D6 games, I personally prefer translucent Chessex 16mm which come in 12-packs. That covers an FP roll for most character skills so one 12-pack would normally be plenty.

However this is only my recommendation. I would never actually require my players to have any dice because I have plenty to go around to lend multiple players without their own dice. And for multiple campaigns, I have even gifted my players a 12-set of Chessex 16mm dice each. Then they trade one with each other to have a different colored wild die.

garhkal wrote:
As a linked question. Who allows players to use Die rolling aps (well for those who do face to face gaming)??

For face to face gaming, I would not allow dice rolling apps because rolling physical dice is part of the fun. I would make an exception if any player had a disability that would be relieved by the app, but I haven't ran into that yet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Min # of dice as a PLAYER you should have/Die rolling ap Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
For face to face gaming, I would not allow dice rolling apps because rolling physical dice is part of the fun.
There's a kinesthetic experience to rolling the dice that often, especially in combat, connects the player's roll to the PC's action that I just don't find with an electronic random number generator.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a player is using their own dice, then I agree about the 10-12 dice. However, I usually keep a pile of about 30 in the middle of my table for games that I run, so players really don't need to worry about having enough dice.

I do allow dice roller apps, especially now with my little one who steals dice to otherspace, as well as the puppy who would likely eat any strays then end up on the floor. Laughing I even use one as a GM, because the rolling seems to be a little more even keeled than when I throw physical dice. Also, you don't hear how many dice the GM is rolling behind the screen... Laughing
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want them to hear the frightening sound of lots o' dice. Twisted Evil

To be honest, with this group I often roll in the open so they can see the dice and the total.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

To be honest, with this group I often roll in the open so they can see the dice and the total.

Agreed. Nothing gets audible gulps like two heaping handfuls of d6's raining down on the table. I also like rolling in the open, especially if it's in respect to PC tomfoolery.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Min # of dice as a PLAYER you should have/Die rolling ap Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
We already had a thread about dice that compiled the prior threads about dice.

Fare enough. Perhaps it should have been a 3 parter.. 1 for WEG, part 2 for 'other games' and the 3rd part on the ap thing..\

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

For face to face gaming, I would not allow dice rolling apps because rolling physical dice is part of the fun. I would make an exception if any player had a disability that would be relieved by the app, but I haven't ran into that yet.

So far on the disability issue, most have been in wheelchairs so die rolling wasn't an issue.

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Bren wrote:

Agreed. Nothing gets audible gulps like two heaping handfuls of d6's raining down on the table. I also like rolling in the open, especially if it's in respect to PC tomfoolery.

For me, i roll in the open period, because it shows i am not fudging.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree about rolling out in the open, it encourages meta-gaming. Most gamers can't help themselves.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what way does it encourage metagaming?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see how many dice are being rolled by particular foes?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
You see how many dice are being rolled by particular foes?

Ahh.. Gotcha.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't require any of my players to bring their own dice. When I first started GM'in, we'd share a pool of 12 dice, with another off-color Wild Die. Somewhere along the way I acquired a dice habit, so I have a small treasure-chest-looking box that has upwards of 400 dice. So, there's enough dice for everyone to have some.

Usually I start them out with seven dice at the table, six of one color, and a Wild Die. If we need to grow beyond that, then there's a box full of them.

I've sometimes used an app, but it's not as much fun. I did use an app once for a game that went on for years and the players were facing off against the Emperor, since that guy has SO many dice to roll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: