The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Trek!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Star Trek! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Sadly, though, if this is the canon map for Star Trek, the place where the Federation, Klingon Empire and Romulan Empire all meet isn't quite triangle shaped anymore....
Where is the colorful map from?

I'm not 100% sure that there actually is a canon map of the Star Trek galaxy. I've seen so many different versions, but none that had any indicator (like a Paramount logo or something) of authenticity and/or canonicity. Numerous books containing maps of the Star Trek galaxy have been published, but considering that several of those books were published at least as early as the 1980s, they may be completely obsolete by now.

The most current map is likely in the corebook of the latest Star Trek RPG, namely Star Trek Adventures. The map I linked to is older than the one in ST:A (from what I can tell of the screenshots of the map in the ST:A book) but they look nearly identical. Unfortunately, I don't know where the original map came from, though there are numerous links to it (Reddit and such) on the internet.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying. Star Trek galaxy maps is something almost completely outside my knowledge base.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I must confess, I can't read the title of this topic without thinking about this.

This is hilarious! Not sure how I missed hearing the whole thing before. Thanks for sharing, CRM.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
This is hilarious! Not sure how I missed hearing the whole thing before. Thanks for sharing, CRM.

Glad to be of service. There's also this.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: 24th century Trek Reply with quote

So I watched Deep Space Nine through the penultimate episode of Season 4, and Voyager through the penultimate episode of Season 2. I stopped at these points because, from what I gather, the season finales set-up the next seasons and I didn't want to forget what happened in those when I get back to those shows.

I like to watch these concurrent shows in chronological order and re-watch the TNG films where they take place, but I have found that it is almost impossible to do so. Production order, airdates, and stardates are all unreliable at points. Fan chronologies vary greatly. I've flipped back and forth between different chronologies and spent too much time in making my own for stretches of these series. DS9 s5 and VOR s3 is the year that First Contact takes place, and after consulting many chronologies I have found that this film is placed in drastically varying points of these seasons. And yes I know it is a time-travel story that mostly takes place in the 21st century, but the beginning of the film has to take place at some specific point with respect to DS9 and VOY. Placement shouldn't be so vague since Worf leaves DS9 to join the FC story, but it still isn't clear.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Discovery Reply with quote

The reason I stopped my 24th century viewing was to re-subscribe to CBS All Access for one month to watch Discovery season 2. It was awesome! Season 3 is in production so I still can't judge the series as a whole, but the first two seasons probably are my favorite two single seasons of any Trek series. DIS Season 1 had two related story arcs, but Season 2 was one big story arc, only previous done in Trek with Enterprise season 3. DIS continues to break franchise standards to go above and beyond any Trek before it. The central series protagonist (Burnham) is not captain or even first officer. She is one of the ship's science officers. Characters go through major changes and even die (not just "red shirts"). DIS has intense drama and action in most episodes, with near-movie quality production. The final episode has an EPIC space battle.

DIS s2 is set three years after the first Trek pilot, "The Cage". DIS s2 establishes that during the Federation-Klingon War of s1, Captain Pike's Enterprise was not recalled from its deep space exploration mission to preserve the best of Starfleet in case the war had gone a worse direction for the Federation. After DIS s1, the Discovery was without a captain. The Enterprise suffered some catastrophic system failures, and while it is being refitted, Captain Pike is temporarily transferred to command the Discovery for the new mission of the season, to investigate a mysterious galactic phenomena. Spock, who had taken a personal leave related to the phenomena before the start of the season, becomes instrumental to the plot. The actors for Pike and Spock nailed their roles. Prime Pike's character is nicely fleshed-out while totally embracing his canon bookends of "The Cage" and "The Menagerie". Spock's childhood and character in this time period are deepened with new characterization that totally supports his later character seen in TOS and the films. There is even a little inspiration from from a TAS episode on Spock and Burnham's childhood. Prime Pike's character is nicely fleshed-out while totally embracing his canon bookends of "The Cage" and "The Menagerie". Sarek returns this season and Amanda becomes an important character as we delve into the family background and dynamics of Burnham's foster family. DIS s2 has Spock return to the forbidden planet of Talos IV (with Burnham) and a Talosian projection of Vina briefly interacts with Pike up in the Discovery. The Enterprise comes back into the story near the end of the season, and it was neat to see Number One as a character, developed since the events of "The Cage". Section 31 is instrumental to the DIS s2 story. Spock and Sarek do not interact with each other to maintain continuity with the TOS. And the existence of Sybock is thankfully still completely ignored like the rest of the franchise since TFF.

The end of DIS s1 already addressed why the existence of the Mirror Universe was not general Starfleet knowledge in the TOS (Pike and Spock never even learned about it in DIS S2). DIS s2 addresses virtually all of the remaining complaints that impatient detractors had about the show seemingly violating Prime Universe canon. It makes perfect sense that Amanda would insist that she and Sarek adopt Burnham when she is orphaned as a child, and how she would temporarily become an older foster sister to Spock. It is explained why the details of the Klingon War from s1 were covered up. There are very good reasons why the Discovery, the spore drive and mycelial network, and especially the character of Burnham would never be mentioned in the franchise again. It is even specifically addressed why the later Enterprise does not have the holographic communication shown in Discovery. (And all this was done without time travel undoing the events of the series.).

With DIS s1, I had the attitude of not caring how the show may contradict the rest of the franchise and just enjoying it for its own sake. If need be, it could just be another universe in the Trek multiverse. But after s2, the show remains an undeniable "reimaging" but continuity-wise it fits into Prime canon at least as well as anything else. If franchise continuity is your concern with Star Trek: Discovery, then I highly recommend you let go of that inner nag and let yourself enjoy the series. The series is completely viewable with a CBS All Access subscription and only 29 episodes so far, so you can watch the entire series and only have to pay for a month or two. It is $10 a month without commercials, and less with them. Give it a chance! It's great!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been pushing through TNG and most of the way through season 7. This seems to have most of the episodes I remember from a long time ago. The one I had forgotten was the season six episode about the Exocomps... tool-like robots who developed sentience and self-preservation.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got S1 of Discovery on Bluray and just finished watching all the S1 episodes. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for S2 to come out on Bluray so I can get caught up.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I just got S1 of Discovery on Bluray and just finished watching all the S1 episodes. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for S2 to come out on Bluray so I can get caught up.

I went through it, too. Checked it out from the library and beelined it through my 3 weeks.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Trek Discovery season 2 comes out on Blu-ray and DVD on November 12th.

And I forgot to mention that the 8th episode of Season 2 ("If Memory Serves") doesn't open with the usual recap. It instead opens with actual footage from "The Cage" that is revealed to be Pike having a flashback. They scored it with music from TOS. It's a nice touch.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

And I forgot to mention that the 8th episode of Season 2 ("If Memory Serves") doesn't open with the usual recap. It instead opens with actual footage from "The Cage" that is revealed to be Pike having a flashback. They scored it with music from TOS. It's a nice touch.

Nov 12? Good, that's less than 2 months away.

Yeah, one nice thing about ST: Discovery is the occasional nods the show gives to the TOS since it is supposed to be occurring just a few years before the TOS in the Prime timeline.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:

Nov 12? Good, that's less than 2 months away.

Yeah, one nice thing about ST: Discovery is the occasional nods the show gives to the TOS since it is supposed to be occurring just a few years before the TOS in the Prime timeline.

Yeah, DIS is only a decade earlier than the TOS takes place.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: I finished DS9! Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Deep Space Nine
* LIKE: Quark, Bashir, Worf
* OK: Odo, Jadzia Dax, Rom
* INDIFFERENT: Kira, Chief O'Brien, Jake Sisko,
* DISLIKE: Benjamin Sisko, Garak, Nog

Some characters have moved up, most notably Bashir. I started to like Rom a little more - It's funny that he has become this technical wizard when he doesn't sound very smart, but I still find his voice grating. Nog is annoying. I'm so glad he went to Starfleet Academy, but I'm guessing he'll be back. The show has overall improved for me, but not significantly. The Defiant is a plus, Worf and Klingons are a plus. The premise of the space station, the Cardassian-Bajoran conflict, and the wormhole is an interesting concept but still seems to be not living up to its potential. This Dominion conflict that was so hyped before is now developing so slowly so I forget it is there, but I presume there will eventually be an all-out war (I hope). It is annoying to me that Starfleet security officers are technical wizards whenever the plot lazily requires it - Not all tan-shirts are engineers... I've come to dread all Kira/Bajoran episodes, and I can't stand the Bajoran priesthood (any of the characters: the love interest, the lady, etc.). But most sadly, almost half-way through the series and I still don't enjoy Ben Sisko. I still think the actor is not so great - His inflections on some of his line deliveries are terrible.

The above was when I was about half way through the series, but now I'm happy that I finally finished watching Deep Space Nine. Only 21 years late! It's taken me a few years to get through it. I was watching Voyager semi-concurrently with respect to the Trek timeline each season after Voyager started, which slowed DS9 down starting S3. I also took breaks from my 24th Century Trek viewing for Discovery s1 and s2. I stopped Voyager s5 when DS9 got to the final 9-episode arc of the series to not break that up, so I've still got 2.5 seasons of Voyager left but at least I can go straight through that show for the rest of it.

The good news is I can say that I ended the series disliking Sisko and Garak a decent amount less than I had in the middle of the series. Most Nog episodes remained annoying but he was fine when he only had a few lines. A couple characters went down for me. I always liked Odo and Quark, but Odo got annoying in the Dominion war even before he hooked up with Kira. I know he is not Starfleet but Odo chose to stand against the Dominion and he flat-out, unforgivably betrayed the Federation a couple times. Worf, one of my favorite Trek characters of all, was actually annoying in a few episodes - The rest of the time he was fine. Worf and Jadzia was ok, most of the time.

Ezri was ok. I don't get the hate that I've read that she received from fans, but I felt like I never got a chance to like her as much as Jadzia. But her coming aboard as a counselor was a nice touch although it left the station without a science officer (aside from maybe a couple background characters). However it made me wonder that if Ezri has all the memories of her previous Dax incarnations, wouldn't that mean she would have all the skills of her previous incarnations? Couldn't Ezri just do everything Jadzia and all their previous incarnations had done? Why wouldn't Starfleet consider the previous rank and position a symbiont had and allow that to be transferable to the new Trill? Ezri and Bashir seemed tacked on.

I like the ending for O'Brien. I think Chief would make a great professor. It feels right. But the flashback montages were cheesy, and they made such a big deal about Bashir and O'Brien's friendship over the years, and their holosuite historical battles simulations. They were playing it like they were lovers that had to go their separate ways, which might have been alright if O'Brien wasn't married.

I did not like the character of Kasidy Yates. And wasn't she a Maquis criminal? She only appeared sporadically throughout the series so I forgot how that went down. Did go to prison and serve her time, and then rejoin the series after she got out like nothing ever happened? Her relationship with Sisko was unconvincing because so few episodes showed it. At the end of the last season they get married and she's having Sisko's baby. Meh.

I've read that Vic Fontaine was a controversial character among fans but I don't get that. I liked him. But then again The Doctor is my favorite character on Voyager. What's funny is I never cared for most of the 'Holodeck malfunction' episodes in ST, outside of involving these characters.

It was nice that DS9 had the Defiant to do some more traditional starship stuff, but I never felt like the show portrayed that Sisko had a deep connection with the ship until it was destroyed, so the drama seemed forced. And then I see that it had already become a Trek cliche by 1999 to destroy a ship and just to introduce its replacement in the next episode. Unlike Enterprise D to E, this one was like the 1701 to 1701-A in that the ship looks exactly like the original. But actually there is no additional letter or number, the replacement is named the exact same name and designation. The Defiant was replaced by the Defiant so they could literally use the same exact model. And aesthetically, this ship is ugly, even uglier than Enterprise D. Meh.

Quark is one of my favorite characters on DS9, and the show was careful to show that although he was a he was scoundrel, deep down inside he had a heart of gold. When he thought he was going to be Grand Nagus and lamented the loss of all the greed in Ferengi society, I thought they were going backwards with the character, but then when the twist came that Nog was actually going to become the next Grand Nagus, it all fell into place. I like that Rom became the Nagus, and gave Quark's bar back to him, forcing Quark to accept the free gift. At this dawn of a new progressive age for the Ferengi, Quark returned to exactly what he has always been doing. And Rom's wife (the former dabo girl) is hot.

I always liked the General Martok character, and I've always hated the wild-eyed Chancellor Gowron. I was so happy that Worf killed Gowron and made Martok the Chancellor. Making Worf the Federation ambassador to the Klingon Empire seems like a fitting conclusion to his role on DS9, but it doesn't feel right for the Worf character as a whole. Unfortunately, Worf's final TNG movie appearance that takes place after this was a forgettable film so it didn't really matter to the bigger picture what became of Worf. Maybe Worf will be in Picard, but I'm not going to watch Picard until after I finish Voyager.

Damar coldly murdered Gul Dukat's daughter, who meant a lot to Kira and Garek. Damar is despicable and takes leadership of the Cardassians. Then when Damar decides to rebel against the Dominion, they went with dramatic irony that Kira and Garek are forced to work with a man they hate. Then the Female Changeling has Demar's family killed and suddenly Damar is a sympathetic character and hero? I like the actor who plays Damar and think he did a good job, but this transformation still feels fake. It was great that Garek killed the last Weyoun clone - I hated that guy. Garek getting to return to the new Cardassia is a good ending for him.

The Dominion War

I had been thinking that the Dominion's primary motivation in the war was the typical invader one, power, and the wormhole just opened up more territory for them to conquer. But then the entire Dominion species was dying of an incurable disease, and yet they pressed on in the war to take over the Alpha Quadrant, which didn't make much sense if they were all going to die anyway. But in the final episode the Female Changeling revealed that their motivation to conquer the Alpha Quadrant was good ol' speciesism - Solids are inferior lifeforms and can't be trusted. However that still doesn't make any sense because they were dying - Their mission to protect themselves from solids would be pointless when there would be no changelings left to protect. Even before the disease, if they wanted to protect themselves from solids then all they had to do is mine the Gamma Quadrant side of the wormhole and don't let anyone from the Alpha Quadrant in. It is not like the Federation had any claim to anything in the Gamma Quadrant or any inherent right to be there, so if the Gamma side prevented the Federation from going there, then oh well. No war and no pesky solids messing up the power structure of the Gamma Quadrant.

The Dominion were the aggressors in the war so once they got the disease, the only strategy the Federation had to do was proceed defensively and just wait for them to die. Yes, they did try to justify why the Alliance had to be on the offensive, because the Jem'Hadar and other Dominion loyalists would keep fighting after their gods died. But Dominion forces would be without leadership and they would be demoralized by the death of beings that they had believed were immortal, so it would have been much easier for the Federation to defeat them.

The Ubese Breen just came out of nowhere with hardly any previous appearances or mentions in the franchise, and they are this awesome power that has their sites set on controlling both Earth and Romulus! Huh? If they were that powerful it they should have built up their entrance into the war, and maybe explained why they hadn't had any significant impact on the history of the Alpha Quadrant before.

And is the Female Changeling the only changeling in the Alpha Quadrant? Maybe the Dominion would have done better if they had more than a couple changelings actually involved in the war.

And it was quite ridiculous that Odo linking with the Female Changeling and curing her just magically changed her mind so she would instantly surrender and agree to stand trial. They had linked before and she didn't have any changes of heart, despite Odo's love for solids.

And what about the rest of the changelings? Are they just off the hook just because the Federation already has one Changeling to imprison? These changelings are evil - They controlled the Jem'Hadar through drug-addiction which is pretty damn despicable, and they just use and abuse any solids they can. But the only punishment the rest of the Dominion gets is to be cured and joined by Odo in the Great Link. Was the Female Changeling their patsy? And the "Female Changeling" character was never even given a name? That's lame. Maybe they should have named her Patricia.

The Federation could have used the cure to bargain for a full retreat of all Dominion forces from the Alpha Quadrant, then mine the wormhole again. Section 31 could have threatened the Dominion with further changeling diseases if they dared to return to the Alpha Quadrant. The whole Dominion War made no sense!

The Emissary, the Prophets, the Pah-wraiths, and Bajor

It made sense when they revealed that Sisko was a half-prophet. I liked that Gul Dukat went crazy and joined an evil cult. I always hated the Kai Winn character and it was good to see her go from annoying antagonist to finally being an out and out villain, although it was very predictable that Dukat was just using her to free the Pah-wraiths and once they were that he would kill her (which I still enjoyed even though it was expected). But then it suddenly just hit Sisko what he had to do to fulfill his role as Emissary, go the fire caves and stop Dukat and the Pah-wraiths. So they fight and the Emissary sacrifices himself to destroy the evil spell book which re-imprisoned the Pah-wraiths and Dukat with them, poetic justice. And of course, in death, the Sisko's consciousness joins the Prophets in the wormhole as one of them, an eternal being.

It seems like a satisfying ending, but it's not. Avery Brooks didn't like the fact that Sisko was leaving a wife and unborn baby, so he talked to the producers and they reshot the scene where prophet Sisko communes Kassidy from the wormhole to indicate that he doesn't know when, but he will be back. I can appreciate why he didn't like the ending, but that was the ending they had always planned since Day 1 of this Star Trek series with an unprecedented degree of serialization. Saying that he'll be back means he didn't really die, and if he didn't really die then he didn't really sacrifice himself. Sisko being dead in the physical world (but alive in the wormhole) is what the drama of the outcome of the series hinged on. And when he comes back, he won't be able to explain to linear beings why he had to be gone for a while, but really it is because the ending would only make sense if he can't come back, so he would never have to explain it to mere mortals. They should not not had Sisko get married and have a baby on the way so there would have been nothing preventing the originally planned ending of his sacrifice being a physically permanent one.

And another bad thing about the ending is that no one is a witness to what happened in the fire caves. The Sisko didn't explain it to Kassidy. The Emissary and Kai Winn have mysteriously disappeared, and the Bajorans do not know how close they came to the Pah-wraiths returning. No one knows what happened. It's dramatically limp. They should have had Kira follow Sisko down and show up to witness it. The main characters do find out later from Kassidy that Ben is alive in the wormhole. Well, I guess it is a good thing that Sisko is coming back someday, so maybe Bajor will finally know what happened, a while after the fact.

This ending was almost completely unrelated to the Dominion War and its conclusion. The two plot lines should have more intertwined. And Bajor still didn't even join the Federation? Are you kidding me? I know they considered it but decided to not to include it, but I disagree with that. Insurrection indicates that the Federation was fast-tracking new member worlds to gain as many new allies as possible during the war...

The Enterprise and The Dominion War

It makes no sense whatsoever that Picard and the Enterprise were not at the forefront of the Dominion War. I understand that the TV show didn't have the budget for movie actor cameos, but the writers could have been more creative to have the Enterprise and Picard periodically mentioned (or even easter egged). The Enterprise should have been seen at the major space battles of the war. There was an existing Enterprise-E model that could have been used. If DS9 was not allowed to reference the Enterprise due to not wanting there to be any continuity restrictions on creative freedom for future films, that's just lazy, fearful franchise continuity management.

Deep Space Conclusions

I watched the DS9 series premier when it first aired in college. I was nonplussed. Over the years, when I had expressed to other Trek fans being put off by the show's pilot, everyone said DS9 gets better. When I was halfway through the series and expressed my misgivings, everyone said just wait for the Dominion War. Fans have told me I'm not a true Trek fan without seeing DS9. I watched the Dominion War and finished the series. I do not understand how the war made the series any better. The battles of the war were always brief so the action never got that exciting. Most of the war did not show the actual war.

I realized by the end of the series that I thought Avery Brooks acting was fine for the quieter, calmer, softer lines. It was his excited, angry, emphatic delivery that I still think was bad acting. But not encountering anyone who ever agreed with me made me think that maybe it was just me, so did some research and I did find some internet discussions where other non-troll people felt the same way I do. So while I completely admit that we seem to be a minority, I am not alone in that opinion. And I personally am not surprised why Brooks has done almost no acting since DS9. The bottom line is, although my dislike of Sisko waned over the course of the seasons, I still never grew to ever really get into the character that much. It's hard to enjoy a series without enjoying the main protagonist.

I think the show had a great premise and potential, but IMO it never lived up to them. It was a looong seven seasons of DS9, but no one can say that I didn't give it a chance. All in all, I can say that occasionally I thought that an episode was a pretty good one. But not too often. There occasionally were some horrible episodes. But mostly there was a whole lotta meh. I thought the third season of Enterprise was much better than any season of DS9. I most certainly won't ever buy DS9, watch it again, or recommend it. The only DS9 episode I can ever imagine watching again is the Tribble one.

I think I like Voyager a little better. Only about 60 or so more episodes to go in that show. Then I'll have to find out where I can pick up my "true fan" member card.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Been pushing through TNG and most of the way through season 7. This seems to have most of the episodes I remember from a long time ago. The one I had forgotten was the season six episode about the Exocomps... tool-like robots who developed sentience and self-preservation.

Wow... did I really power through the rest of TNG, plus DS9 and Voyager since last year? And more than half way through Enterprise?

And I know I watched all of Robotech in there. And maybe Voltron? Can't remember when I did that, save it was in the last couple years (since I watched it in this house, it has to have been then)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Enterprise (that I have watched) seems to be broken down into

Season 1: Suliban and Temporal Cold War
Season 2: General Star-Trekkery
Season 3: Xindi and the Delphaeic Expanse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: