The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hull 721
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Hull 721
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Hull 721 Reply with quote

I'm only a few chapters into this one, but it's already the best Star Wars space combat / techsplanation fan fiction I've read. Don't let the dry name turn you off...

Here's the link.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 1 down.

I like the attention to detail, and the authentic feel. The grounded verisimilitude is palpable.

The sentence structure in a few parts make it a bit hard to follow; I had to do a double-take of a couple paragraphs to work out what was actually going on.

I'll definitely continue to read.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think this is bad, you should see the original version that got posted over on Stardestroyer.net. This version is the cleaned-up, easy to read version. The guy who posted it on Fanfiction.net isn't the original author; he just wanted it to have a wider audience. If nothing else, it'd be nice if someone went through and inserted breaks between scene changes.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But yeah, I definitely appreciate the original author's grasp of the technological side of things. A few chapters in, there's a scene where the ship's chief engineer gives a lecture to some of his rookie staff about how the physical hull of starships in the SWU are essentially just wave-guides and backups for all the energy fields (tensors, acceleration compensation, radiation, stasis, etc) that allow the ship to actually exist, and that without those energy shields, the ships would literally tear themselves apart trying to do what they are seen to do on screen.

So yeah, the verisimilitude of someone technically-minded applying that knowledge to the SWU is very much appreciated.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
But yeah, I definitely appreciate the original author's grasp of the technological side of things. A few chapters in, there's a scene where the ship's chief engineer gives a lecture to some of his rookie staff about how the physical hull of starships in the SWU are essentially just wave-guides and backups for all the energy fields (tensors, acceleration compensation, radiation, stasis, etc) that allow the ship to actually exist, and that without those energy shields, the ships would literally tear themselves apart trying to do what they are seen to do on screen.

So yeah, the verisimilitude of someone technically-minded applying that knowledge to the SWU is very much appreciated.

That's actually a pretty cool way to think about a ship as big as a Star Destroyer and all the forces that would be acting upon it.

A basic scientific principle that if it fails makes all the other engineering and hull useless...

And it isn't that far off an actual wet navy warship; it relies on the scientific principle of buoyancy...if it ever fails to displace more water weight than it weighs for any of a variety of reasons...the hull and superstructure become irrelevant. The ship is doomed.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only skimmed it a bit. But from my spot checking, it holds up for me.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciated the scene where

Spoiler:

The storm trooper special boarding party encountered the young jedi on the bridge of the rebel ship near the end of Ch 6.

The description of the jedi being about 20 years old and having no more than 6 months training against skilled troops that have been hunting jedi for years.

It strikes me the way that a RPG session might go with a young Jedi player character after the PC's plan goes horribly wrong. All the guts of being a jedi...but without the skill dice, CPs and force points accumulated to pull it off.

-----
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 2 (Incomplete) is also up at stardestroyer.net.

There is also a Hull 721 / WH40K Crossover (Incomplete) that I haven't had a chance to look at, but the referral included the words "absurd consequences," so read at your own risk.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautiful bit of technobabble w/r/t hyperdrives...
Quote:
"Hyperdrive field" was a misnomer and a simplification. There were three parts to it, on purpose anyway, the energy envelope that rode the curvatures of space and essentially was responsible for the course the ship steered, the hypersymmetric fields that took and kept the ship across the light barrier, and the stasis fields that protected the ship and the field projection machinery against the relativistic/causal implications of tachyonic travel. Some of the manuals called them the Interaction, Action and Inaction fields, outside to in.

In practise the Interaction Field had to be preconfigured, the spacetime and energy gradients it would have to ride and the desired reaction being set on entry to hyperspace; it was impossible to affect from within the inaction field without breaking stasis lock, and possibly accidentally becoming several million years older in the process- or reappearing several million years in the future. Manoeuvre was possible in hyperspace, but only prearranged manoeuvre.

Actually being able to steer, being able to fly, to pilot a ship instead of merely navigate- it was an obvious thing to want, and to strive for, and design and build for. Nobody had got it to work yet- nobody human, at any rate.

I'm up to page 20 on Part 2, and there some interesting mentions of experimental gravity-based weaponry being mounted on the Black Prince during its refit post-Part 1. The description makes for some interesting possibilities for a jack-of-all-trades weapon that can function variously as a weapon (gravity shear causing affecting the ship's hull and frame), a tractor beam (strong directional gravity field overcomes the target's forward thrust) and a precision interdiction field generator (presumably, increased gravity field around the target trips the hyperdrive safety cut-out and prevents it from jumping. Probably too weak and focused to bring ships out of hyperspace ala the gravity well, but enough to keep them from jumping once they're out). Oddly enough, the original WEG rules for gravity well projectors functioned just like this, rolling to hit a target just like any other weapon, but if struck, the targeted ship couldn't jump to hyperspace.

This requires some thought...

It might even work to be fitted on medium to large capital ships to supplement Interdictor cruisers, with the Interdictor doing the initial work to bring ships out of hyperspace, then the combatants taking over to interdict their own targets as part of the pursuit process...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: