The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Anointed People Project (Blame Whill, he asked for this)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections -> Anointed People Project (Blame Whill, he asked for this)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Anointed People Project (Blame Whill, he asked for this) Reply with quote

Dunno if this is best suited to "planets" or "species".

The Anointed People are finally underway. I have (as of last night) in hand at least one of every pose shown in the original SWMB book. A few duplicates brought me, coincidentally, to 11, ie a squad and a hero, which is the ideal starting point for any SWMB faction in my opinion.

Note that scale is all over the board. The Ral Parta figures probably look best next to the official SW minis, with the Martian Metals guy being decidedly short and the Grenadier figures towering over stormtroopers.

The official word on these creatures is "The Godlings lived in small castles, built as military structures and usually surrounded by five-meter high walls and a moat, with a personal guard of fifteen People." So a character and 15 warriors is probably where I will conclude the collection. However, we are also told that the Godking's "guard also tripled the defense complement of any Godling." So eventually growing them to roughly 45 figures is not out of the question. Nor is it terribly unlikely to paint the households of two Godlings in different heraldries so that the PC's could participate in one of the ceremonial wars of the Anointed People. As an aside, I strongly suspect their culture is a spoof of the SCA.

Every stage of the collection's evolution will hopefully be documented here. The Partha Ones are available as reissues from original molds (Iron Wind Mentals). The Grenadier ones are also still in production (Mirliton SG: available in the US from Noble Knight Games). The Martian Metals lizard warrior was the most expensive and hardest to find. They rarely come up on eBay and are not in production from anywhere that I can see. Someday getting several of them just like in the original SWMB pic is unlikely at best for me.

https://imgur.com/u5QmmsL

I have a further 4 Grenadier ones that are equipped with a sword and shield: they fit right in with the rest but don't appear in ye olde pic. I'll probably paint use them anyways if I decide to expand the force someday beyond this. I also picked up half a dozen "Iguanids on Thecodents" to use as Likka Riders someday. First though, I just want to get the actual minis from the book painted, then worry about it.

If I can find the cottage in the pic by Gallia Reproductions I'll be extremely surprised. So instead I went another route but that'll have to be a separate post. For reference here's a small version of the original picture which can be seen in SWMB book page 32 in both editions.
https://imgur.com/f5UH2US
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anointed People Project (Blame Whill, he asked for this) Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Dunno if this is best suited to "planets" or "species".

I moved this to Species, but please feel free to post anything about their planet too. A lot of threads are crossover but they have to put somewhere.

TauntaunScout wrote:
The Anointed People are finally underway. I have (as of last night) in hand at least one of every pose shown in the original SWMB book. A few duplicates brought me, coincidentally, to 11, ie a squad and a hero, which is the ideal starting point for any SWMB faction in my opinion.

Note that scale is all over the board. The Ral Parta figures probably look best next to the official SW minis, with the Martian Metals guy being decidedly short and the Grenadier figures towering over stormtroopers.

The official word on these creatures is "The Godlings lived in small castles, built as military structures and usually surrounded by five-meter high walls and a moat, with a personal guard of fifteen People." So a character and 15 warriors is probably where I will conclude the collection. However, we are also told that the Godking's "guard also tripled the defense complement of any Godling." So eventually growing them to roughly 45 figures is not out of the question. Nor is it terribly unlikely to paint the households of two Godlings in different heraldries so that the PC's could participate in one of the ceremonial wars of the Anointed People. As an aside, I strongly suspect their culture is a spoof of the SCA.

Every stage of the collection's evolution will hopefully be documented here. The Partha Ones are available as reissues from original molds (Iron Wind Mentals). The Grenadier ones are also still in production (Mirliton SG: available in the US from Noble Knight Games). The Martian Metals lizard warrior was the most expensive and hardest to find. They rarely come up on eBay and are not in production from anywhere that I can see. Someday getting several of them just like in the original SWMB pic is unlikely at best for me.

https://imgur.com/u5QmmsL

I have a further 4 Grenadier ones that are equipped with a sword and shield: they fit right in with the rest but don't appear in ye olde pic. I'll probably paint use them anyways if I decide to expand the force someday beyond this. I also picked up half a dozen "Iguanids on Thecodents" to use as Likka Riders someday. First though, I just want to get the actual minis from the book painted, then worry about it.

If I can find the cottage in the pic by Gallia Reproductions I'll be extremely surprised. So instead I went another route but that'll have to be a separate post. For reference here's a small version of the original picture which can be seen in SWMB book page 32 in both editions.
https://imgur.com/f5UH2US

This is great. Thanks for sharing. It may not be anytime soon, but someday I will run an RPG adventure taking place on Masterhome again.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those figures look great. I remember some of the old Ral Partha figures in the pictures, but I don't think I ever acquired any of them.

TauntaunScout wrote:
So a character and 15 warriors is probably where I will conclude the collection.
Are you going to have any of the "Unwashed" i.e. the serf portion of the population. I think they were part of the local warfare.

Quote:
As an aside, I strongly suspect their culture is a spoof of the SCA.
That's an interesting idea. What makes you think that?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Those figures look great. I remember some of the old Ral Partha figures in the pictures, but I don't think I ever acquired any of them.

TauntaunScout wrote:
So a character and 15 warriors is probably where I will conclude the collection.
Are you going to have any of the "Unwashed" i.e. the serf portion of the population. I think they were part of the local warfare.

Quote:
As an aside, I strongly suspect their culture is a spoof of the SCA.
That's an interesting idea. What makes you think that?

I doubt I'll have the time to convert and paint a bunch of unwashed. Though there's nothing to stop a really crazy person from sourcing tons of lizardmen armed only with clubs I suppose.

The description of "wars" is dead on for either Anointed People or Scadians. They get very excited about the prospect of an annual war. Only clubs are used in these wars. Injuries rarely exceed those of a sporting match. Wars a good place to wear interesting clothing and find mates. Wars include a multi-day eating/drinking party.

The cultural staple of long speeches that don't actually mean anything but use lots interesting words also seems like it's making fun of scadian "court" and the like.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
The description of "wars" is dead on for either Anointed People or Scadians. They get very excited about the prospect of an annual war. Only clubs are used in these wars. Injuries rarely exceed those of a sporting match. Wars a good place to wear interesting clothing and find mates. Wars include a multi-day eating/drinking party.

The cultural staple of long speeches that don't actually mean anything but use lots interesting words also seems like it's making fun of scadian "court" and the like.
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the source, but your rationale is good. And thinking of the Anointed Ones society as being kind of SCA-like is both funny and a pretty good behavioral model. So I guess off-worlder non-Anointed would take on the role of "mundanes." Laughing
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the source, but your rationale is good. And thinking of the Anointed Ones society as being kind of SCA-like is both funny and a pretty good behavioral model. So I guess off-worlder non-Anointed would take on the role of "mundanes." Laughing

No first hand knowledge of the SCA or of the Anointed People?

I have not forgotten this project. However, tauntauns just came out for SW:L so that is going to derail my painting time.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
No first hand knowledge of the SCA or of the Anointed People?
No I have that for both. I meant that I have no knowledge of anything that would prove your speculation to be true or even knowledge of any confirmatory evidence, e.g. if we knew that the author of "Tests of the Godking" was a member of the SCA that would tend to support your theory.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear I'll return to these soon. But when actual tauntauns came out for Legion my painting time was sucked up.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty. Progress! I simply blocked in the basic colors, gave the whole model a green-brown wash, and some quick highlights. I'm in a hurry, more info later.

https://imgur.com/LirLWQ2
https://imgur.com/vhfJHEQ
https://imgur.com/7vjFz9t
https://imgur.com/wkHsYj5
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. You must have a high degree of manual dexterity.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I truly do not. Only sheer will. My handwriting is terrible, I cannot draw, and am so generally uncoordinated that I could not learn to ride a bike until I was in 6th grade.

The thing about painting gaming minis is, there are a lot of sneaky tricks you can learn to save time and/or piggy-back off the skill of the sculptor.

I painted the commander and hero orange. I dunno why, I just always imaged those figures as orangey-tan. They're not quite the orange I had in my mind, I may redo them someday. Or at least change the heroe's cloak to a darker blue.

I included a comparison pic of a Grenadier (Mirliton) lizardman next to a SW Legion human. If you wanted to include Annointed People in this latest incarnation of SW minis, the Grenadier ones would work nicely.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

So back to my lack of manual dexterity. I dunno if you're familiar with the basic techniques of miniature painting, but not all forumites will be. So I will elaborate here a bit.

Phase 1) I file off mold-lines, glue the figures to bases, and then I primed the lizards with off-white spray paint. I tend to prefer this for a lot of applications to white, grey or black. It's just a cream sort of color. Thus, if my base coat is a little too thin, the primer doesn't "poke through" to harshly like a pure white would. It also doesn't such the brightness out of my colors like black primer. In some cases, if you thin your paint just so, this can create a pleasing natural highlight, which is useful if you are in a hurry. You don't want to brush your paints directly onto metal or plastic. The first coat of paint to hit metal plastic always looks bad, the 2nd and later coats look much better. So this early coat of spray paint takes only minutes but really ups the finished look of the figures.

Phase 2) Then, I just painted the skin green, the loincloths brown, the swords silver, etc. in a very simple "color inside the lines" way. For the earlier colors, I intentionally colored OVER the lines, so to speak. Paint shrinks unpredictably when it dries, so if you paint right up to the line oh-so-carefully, it's gonna shrink away and leave bare spots between colors. So for example when I painted the skin green, I could rush through and sloppily get green all over the weapons handles when I painted hands. Filing off the modl lines may seem unimportant. But Phase 3 below, will make such lines glaringly obvious. It's not a huge deal if a few casting lines and such sneak through in a squad,
but it's best to mitigate them if possible my means of file, knife, and/or putty before you get painting.

If I made any major mistakes I corrected them after this dried but small mistakes were ignored to save time. Because...

Phase 3) Then I gave the whole model a wash of dark greenish-brown. A wash is just very thinned down (usually dark colored) paint. I make mine from water, colored inks, a dab of acrylic medium, and a very very tiny amount of dish soap. Beginners can usually get away with mixing a tiny dab of black to whatever color they're shading, and adding lots of water.

Because it's so thin, the wash flows down into details such as scales, eyes, the folds in the cloth, and (importantly) the seams between areas of two different colors. This dark paint thus picks out details which would be impractical to actually go an individually paint onto the model. Plus, it makes the recesses look dark like shadows are falling in them, which gives the model a living, 3D look. Most of my mistakes from Phase 2 were obscured by this dark stuff too. You can actually mix up different washes for different areas of color, but I was in a hurry and found a shade that was passable for the whole model.

Phase 3) I highlighted some key areas with a "drybrush". Here's how that works. For the green skin, I'd simply use a lighter shade of green on my brush. Then I'd wipe the brush along a rag or something until most of the paint was gone. This nearly-dry brushfull of paint would be dragged along the scales and muscles, leaving the highest points slightly lighter in color than the rest. For the blue armor I'd use a lighter blue, etc.

Be sure to let the models fully dry between steps. It's a good idea to apply washes before bed, or before leaving for work. That's because while washes take but the merest of moments to apply, they need many hours to dry.

Depending on the model, sometimes I skipped the drybushing step. A lot of these lizzies looked good enough with a wash, to me.

And that's it. I coated the bases twice in Geo-Hex Desert paint from Howard Hues. Someday I'll fill in those unsightly holes in the bases and coat the tops of the bases in thinned down Elmer's Glue before dipping them in Woodland Scenic's Earth-Blend Turf, ie, the stuff Geo-Hex uses on their desert terrain.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this process. Do you only use the minis for the RPG or do you play a mini game too?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the SWMB game more than the RPG. I also play Legion and a bunch of other non-SW minis games. Who knows what these will be used for! So far they haven't seen any gaming time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: