The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Interpreting the Astrogation Chart on page 140
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Interpreting the Astrogation Chart on page 140
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Interpreting the Astrogation Chart on page 140 Reply with quote

Pages 58 - 61 of the SWRPG 1e give the rules for Astrogation and page 140 gives travel times in hyperspace in on the Astrogation Chart (the Rules Companion correctly changed the "days" to "hours" on the Astrogation Chart).

But nowhere do the rules explain how to interpret the Astrogation Chart. I've decided for my game to interpret the chart using the official Galaxy Grid map (found here http://i.stack.imgur.com/iSsET.jpg , among other places).

Based on the Astrogation Chart, the time between systems can be calculated as follows:

Major trade routes are systems on the "Big 5": the Perlemian Trade Route, the Corellian Run, the Corellian Trade Spine, the Rimma Trade Route, and the Hydian Way.

Commonly traveled routes include systems on all other marked routes on the galaxy regional maps, such as the Koda Spur, Triellus Trade Route, Metellost Trade Route, Gamor Run, and many others.

Lightly traveled routes are those named, inhabited systems that are not on any listed travel routes on the Galaxy Grid map. Any inhabited systems listed on the galaxy map or in the Essential Galaxy Guide that are not on a major or common route are considered to be on a lightly traveled route.

Infrequently traveled routes are all inhabited systems which are not indicated on the galaxy map or Essential Galaxy Guide. These are usually GM created systems with mines, science stations, small colonies, bases or other outposts.

Routes traveled more than 3 years ago include all uninhabited systems in known space, whether named or unnamed, whether they are on a travel route or not.

Never traveled routes are all unexplored systems in wild space and the unknown regions.

The LONGEST travel time is used between two points. (if the originating system is on a major trade route, but the destination is on an infrequently traveled route, you use the infrequently traveled travel time).

Route Modifiers
If the systems are in the same sector or grid square, as seen on the official Star Wars Galaxy Map, the travel time is decreased by half.

If the systems are 1 to 6 grids squares apart, the travel time is normal. If the systems are 7-12 grid squares apart, the travel time is DOUBLED. If the systems are more than 12 grid squares apart, the travel time is TRIPLED. Grid squares may be counted diagonally as well as on their sides.

This interpretation of the Astrogation chart does not modify any existing rules, and lines up fairly well with the Astrogation Gazetteer on page 139.

Last edited by ThrorII on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example 1: Han Solo wishes to travel from Tatooine to Alderaan. Both systems are on commonly traveled routes, which means their base travel times are both 7 hours. Alderaan is not in the same sector or grid, but is only 6 grid squares from Tatooine, so there is no modifier for distance. The Millennium Falcon has a x½ hyperdrive, however, so the trip only takes 3.5 hours (half of 7 hours). This is exactly what is given on the Astrogation Gazetteer.

Example 2: Luke Skywalker wishes to travel from Dagobah to Bespin. Despite being on the Rimma Trade Route, Dagobah is an uninhabited planet in known space (therefore considered a route traveled more than 3 years ago). Bespin is an inhabited named planet not on any listed trade routes, and so is considered a lightly traveled route. Of the two, Dagobah has the longest travel time (30 hours), so that travel time is used. Dagobah is not in the same grid or sector as Bespin, but is only 2 grid squares away from it, so the travel time is not modified by distance. Luke’s X-Wing has a x1 hyperdrive, so there is no modification. The trip takes 30 hours. The Astrogation Gazetteer shows 27 hours.

Example 3: Luke Skywalker wishes to travel from Tatooine to Dantooine in his X-Wing. Both systems are on commonly traveled routes, so the base time is 7 hours. Luke's X-Wing has a x1 hyperdrive, so there is no modification for that. The systems are 14 grid squares apart, however, so the travel time is tripled. The trip takes 21 hours. The Astrogation Gazetteer shows 20 hours.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it very similarly, except that I have my players trace their route on the galaxy map and calculate each major leg of the journey.

Reason being is this:

Quote:

The LONGEST travel time is used between two points. (if the originating system is on a major trade route, but the destination is on an infrequently traveled route, you use the infrequently traveled travel time).

In so many cases the players will stick to a major trade route for over 80% of the trip and then 'duck' off the main path to get to a tiny little destination system, which would count as 'Infrequently traveled route'.

So I do each leg of the journey separately.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
I do it very similarly, except that I have my players trace their route on the galaxy map and calculate each major leg of the journey.

That is a more exact, and granular way to calculate it. I thought about doing it that way, but I wanted to stick to the fast/cinematic vibe of 1e. Your way is definitely more accurate and puts more on the players to plan their route. For a mature group who liked that kind of crunch, I'd definitely go that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: