The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dice towers vs dice trays vs 'use the table!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Dice towers vs dice trays vs 'use the table!"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Dice towers vs dice trays vs 'use the table!" Reply with quote

So, who here rolls dice in a tray or tower, vs just uses the table.?
Ever seen the towers (or trays) make things harder/worse?
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For die-pool games, we find a dice tray works best. For d20 style games, we just roll on the table.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dice towers vs dice trays vs 'use the table!" Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

And yet another dice thread...

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=190823#190823

garhkal wrote:

I've never played with anyone using a dice tower so have no experience with those. I've also never used a product specifically marketed as a dice tray, but I have used makeshift dice trays out of things not designed for that purpose and have had no issue with those so far. But I also have no issue with rolling on the table. I do however have a house rule that any dice that fall on the floor must be rerolled. I'm ok with someone using a dice tray of some kind and a die pops out and lands on the table. As long as it stays on the table, it still counts.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dice towers vs dice trays vs 'use the table!" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

And yet another dice thread...

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=190823#190823

This is more on what do you roll them in/on, not how you roll, how many you hav etc..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dice towers vs dice trays vs 'use the table!" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I've never played with anyone using a dice tower so have no experience with those. I've also never used a product specifically marketed as a dice tray, but I have used makeshift dice trays out of things not designed for that purpose and have had no issue with those so far.

We set out tupperware at our games. If you roll in that, the dice are less likely to get scattered everywhere when someone gets too enthusiastic.

Whill wrote:
I do however have a house rule that any dice that fall on the floor must be rerolled. I'm ok with someone using a dice tray of some kind and a die pops out and lands on the table. As long as it stays on the table, it still counts.

When I'm GM'ing and someone's Wild Die topples onto the floor, I sometimes declare, "If it's a 1 it counts!"
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I started playing Pathfinder last year, I've encountered more than a few players who had dice trays. As for dice towers, I've only seen one or two guys at most with towers.

As for me, I'm old school: I roll my dice on the table. I don't really need any thing fancy to roll my dice.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have nearly always rolled the dice on the table.

I have played with people who, while a dice going off the table is still rolling will call out "It counts!" or "It doesn't count!" But I prefer a reroll of dice that land off the table, land half-cocked, or were dropped rather than rolled.

Some exceptions:
    1. Sitting on a chair in a room that is not near a table. Then a box lid words well.
    2. Sitting on the floor in a room not near a low table. Then the floor (so long as it isn't carpeted) works well. Otherwise its back to the box lid.
    3. That one person you sometimes run into who is just a little too enthusiastic with their throws and doesn't seem to know their own strength. Box lid!
    4. When playing a gambling simulation where hidden dice represent down cards a dice cup works nice for this.

I own a fancy, embossed leather dice cup. I've almost never used it and don't right at this moment know where it is.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dice towers vs dice trays vs 'use the table!" Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

When I'm GM'ing and someone's Wild Die topples onto the floor, I sometimes declare, "If it's a 1 it counts!"

Played at a guy's house, who did the same. Made folks careful about how hard they rolled their die..
ClaytonH
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter who you are, if you are on a streak somebody is going to doubt it. Just do what makes the less amount of fuss at the moment. I have used towers for my handicapped cousin but that is the only way I would recommend them for a "not DM" as he was incapable of fetching the dice once cast. I see no problems with trays or center table but once you "beat the odds" you are suspect no matter who you are. Normally when my people do their normal rolling it is in the tray if they use it then their fists o' dice go into the middle so they can show off how superior they are Razz all player preference.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to be a "roll on the table" guy, with a tray for wild rollers. But, in a recent 5e game, I had a tower that a co-worker's husband printed out, and it worked great from an "obsessive shaker"... he'd shake for 30 seconds every roll, but would just drop it in the tower.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
...an "obsessive shaker"... he'd shake for 30 seconds every roll....

That's not just an "obsessive" shaker, but an "excessive" one, too! Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longest i've known someone, personally that is, to shake a die before tossing it was Ten seconds for one guy in the UK. And yes, he was OCD about it. He had to count out the 10 seconds of shaking before rolling.. So we often told him to roll, BEFORE we got to him, so his ten count would be over by the time we got to his character's action.
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that in certain situations/venues/systems, that a dice tray is a good idea, but personally I've never needed or seen the need for one. I'm certainly not against tools/props for gaming as long as they don't hog table space.

I have played with people who can't roll the dice in front of themselves, but they needed self control, not a dice tray.

Dice towers though? Madness. Table hogging, unnecessarily loud, eye sores that actually increase how long it takes to roll and read a die.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The longest i've known someone, personally that is, to shake a die before tossing it was Ten seconds for one guy in the UK. And yes, he was OCD about it. He had to count out the 10 seconds of shaking before rolling.. So we often told him to roll, BEFORE we got to him, so his ten count would be over by the time we got to his character's action.

Very Happy hahaha!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was one of only 3 folks i've ever gamed with over the almost 30 years i've been playing (coming up on in Jan!) that have ever been OCD...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: