The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Yet another "Here's my Force Rules" Thread ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Yet another "Here's my Force Rules" Thread ... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnymiskimen
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Keeping Up a Power" means, to me, that you don't need to concentrate to use a power, yet in each of your examples, concentration/focus/handling-of-a-singular-task was displayed. In each example of the Force Choke on film, the character seems very intent on their task, doing nothing else, as if they are concentration on choking the life out of whoever. Same with Force Lightning, Farseeing and Lie Detection - these characters are doing nothing else but those tasks.

Sense a Presence can go either way, I think, but I don't think it's in use all the time - only when other Force users are within a certain distance from one another ... I see it like a sixth sense that just "pings" a Jedi/Mystic under those conditions, unless a character actively tries it. Those that actively try might receive more information about the target than a "ping" would supply:

"Obi-Wan is here and the Force is with him ...."

"Vader is on that ship."

In RotJ, the Emperor uses his Force Lightning for a while, so I'd make him roll again at a higher DC to continue zapping Luke after initially damaging him - with all the penalties associated with that. He probably has the Highest Force Ability in the Star Wars Universe this side of Yoda (?), so the negative modifiers probably have little affect on his zapping Luke to death, in theory.

In TFA, sure, Luke is sitting there on a rock, as we saw, in deep concentration and focus. He wasn't drinking green milk or tossing lightsabers around while he was doing that ... clearly, his power had grown considerably since RotJ ...

Now an exception to my vision of the Force rules appears in TFA (which I wish was handled so much differently ...) when Kylo Ren holds a laser blast in mid air and then proceeds to go about his terrible business. He doesn't appear to be concentrating one bit. I'm guessing that the rules Lucas laid down for Force usage were either open to interpretation by the writers, at best, or disregarded completely when concerning Kylo and Rey.

See, in summary, to "Keep a Power Up" means, to me, a character can do something without focusing anymore attention to it, allowing them to go about doing other things. I just don't see the Force working like that (unless you're Kylo or Rey). But, hey, maybe it's just me. Razz
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnymiskimen wrote:

See, in summary, to "Keep a Power Up" means, to me, a character can do something without focusing anymore attention to it, allowing them to go about doing other things. I just don't see the Force working like that (unless you're Kylo or Rey). But, hey, maybe it's just me. Razz

Of course, by keeping Force up one still can do something else as long as is not stunned of worse. Vader had a nice talk with Piett chocking Ozzel with no effort. (if MAP allows so to speak in the game terms)

The example with Luke was given as only one situation in the movie where once activated Force power was still in effect although no one left to keep it up.

by the way:

Quote:
Force+STR -- Lightsaber Skill/Reflexes, Force enhanced leaps and running, Force accelerated self healing.

Lightsaber is under Str not Dex?
johnnymiskimen
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lightsaber is under Str not Dex?

Yes, lightsaber skill would count as melee combat (STR) not range (DEX} combat (unless you throw it, that is ...) Multiple Force powers in action works just like multiple skills in action. Drop a die code for each additional task performed per round.

I'd allow simple, non-stressful/argumentative conversation and actions, like piloting a ship in non-combat/hazardous flight, while utilizing Force powers ... during those hazardous situations, however, makes for a higher DC for the character to successfully accomplish.

But also consider, even with all the penalties involved to spend a several rounds long Force Choke attack while conversing with his minions, it would still be easy enough for Vader to pull off due to his legendary Force Ability Score. Your PC Young Jedi character? Well ... that's a GM's call based on the the character's power strength, frequency of use (could be a factor for some in determining DC,) environmental conditions, and situational circumstances.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Falcon Dice is in the falcon, however the dice seen with the doppelganger was part of the power, after all Han was dead, and Luke aimed to support , comfort leia and letting her close to and see and touch the dice would remind her of Han and strengthen her.

And yes the death of snoke was another "prof" of a keep up power
johnnymiskimen
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's agree to disagree. That's why I developed these alternative - and entirely optional - rules.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnymiskimen wrote:

Now an exception to my vision of the Force rules appears in TFA (which I wish was handled so much differently ...) when Kylo Ren holds a laser blast in mid air and then proceeds to go about his terrible business. He doesn't appear to be concentrating one bit. I'm guessing that the rules Lucas laid down for Force usage were either open to interpretation by the writers, at best, or disregarded completely when concerning Kylo and Rey.

Alternatively it is meant to show how much focus and power Kylo Ren has.
Maybe he is keeping a portion of his attention on that frozen blaster bolt the whole time, the way someone might try to balance a book on their head while they go about some other tasks.

He's really just showing off his power, even if it is a trick he has practiced just for the effect of showing off to his subordinates, without a lot of practical use.

It makes me think of Magneto in the first X-Men movie, and how he keeps a portion of his ability making the metal balls in his office clack back and forth. When he leaves, the balls just fall to the ground, showing they were moving by his will alone, not suspended on threads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: