The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Even if you are alone in it (which I'm sure you are not), enjoy what you enjoy. Don't let any part of a fandom tell you what you can and can't like.

Sagely advice; I intend to! I wish I could make it to the theater to help support them at the box office.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I'm pretty thoroughly burnt out on Star Wars in its current state. My love will always be for the classic trilogy and the world that was built up around it. I will most likely go see TRoS in the theaters for both the sake of tradition (the only feature-length Star Wars film I haven't seen in theaters was Clone Wars) and because I want to give my most favorite fandom a sporting chance. I am, however, no longer optimistic about new Star Wars films. Let's see how Mandalorian does.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Is Struggling to Win Over the Next Generation of Kids

Maybe here's the problem. Too much focus on kids...
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

Except when they don't focus on the needs of kids. It's weird. It's like the whole franchise lost its identity and doesn't know what to do. And it seems to me like everyone in charge is just chasing short term goals (bonuses, praise, reputation) and not stepping back to look at the big picture. Like the toys aren't that great for kids now, they lack play value despite ever more detail and points of articulation, which is what the adult collectors prize. And the toys are expensive, compared to what inflation would carry the 1985 Kenner prices to today. So that's gonna price kids out, when toy prices on average have fallen sharply against inflation. To me the 3.75 inch line has been a total disaster for a very long time. When I talk to actual kids, as far as they're concerned Lego Star Wars seems to be the "real" SW toyline.

Back in the day Star Wars wasn't just part of the Hollywood machine. But now, instead of breaking new SFX ground while artistically synthesizing the best of the past, new films are simply part of the current trends in Hollywood. Convoluted parkour chase scenes? Check. Someone melodramatically doubting themselves then finding their inner courage? Check. It just sorta feels like the movies are being written by algorithms.

The same things that ruined The Hobbit movies for me, basically, are cropping up in the Star Wars films now.

I don't know what the way out is. These types of companies (Hasbro, Disney) are almost unwilling puppets to short term thinking. Even if you institute a long term planning and strategizing board, the reality is the people on that board are thinking about their own relatively short term machinations, goals, and projects. The indie art house BS that made A New Hope a work of artistic genius doesn't really stand a chance in that environment. Kenner was a comparatively small toy company, and West End a relatively small gaming company, that had to produce a great product or die trying. I suspect the insulation that comes from sheer size has led to complacency across the board. What does someone like JJ Abrams have to lose if the movie is bad? He'll still be richer than Croesus. As far as reputation he can rely on the ongoing artistic praise for Lost till he dies. George Lucas in 1976 was in a very different boat.

They do appear to be learning but I don't know if they can learn fast enough to overcome egos and get things on track. Taking the biggest characters of 20th century American cinema and basically throwing them in the trash can for no reason is gonna be hard to overcome. People of ALL ages have been waiting for a new movie about Luke & Leia, so relegating them to the shadows should have been a predictable strategy for failure.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

Except when they don't focus on the needs of kids. It's weird. It's like the whole franchise lost its identity and doesn't know what to do. And it seems to me like everyone in charge is just chasing short term goals (bonuses, praise, reputation) and not stepping back to look at the big picture. Like the toys aren't that great for kids now, they lack play value despite ever more detail and points of articulation, which is what the adult collectors prize. And the toys are expensive, compared to what inflation would carry the 1985 Kenner prices to today. So that's gonna price kids out, when toy prices on average have fallen sharply against inflation. To me the 3.75 inch line has been a total disaster for a very long time. When I talk to actual kids, as far as they're concerned Lego Star Wars seems to be the "real" SW toyline.

Back in the day Star Wars wasn't just part of the Hollywood machine. But now, instead of breaking new SFX ground while artistically synthesizing the best of the past, new films are simply part of the current trends in Hollywood. Convoluted parkour chase scenes? Check. Someone melodramatically doubting themselves then finding their inner courage? Check. It just sorta feels like the movies are being written by algorithms.

The same things that ruined The Hobbit movies for me, basically, are cropping up in the Star Wars films now.

I don't know what the way out is. These types of companies (Hasbro, Disney) are almost unwilling puppets to short term thinking. Even if you institute a long term planning and strategizing board, the reality is the people on that board are thinking about their own relatively short term machinations, goals, and projects. The indie art house BS that made A New Hope a work of artistic genius doesn't really stand a chance in that environment. Kenner was a comparatively small toy company, and West End a relatively small gaming company, that had to produce a great product or die trying. I suspect the insulation that comes from sheer size has led to complacency across the board. What does someone like JJ Abrams have to lose if the movie is bad? He'll still be richer than Croesus. As far as reputation he can rely on the ongoing artistic praise for Lost till he dies. George Lucas in 1976 was in a very different boat.

They do appear to be learning but I don't know if they can learn fast enough to overcome egos and get things on track. Taking the biggest characters of 20th century American cinema and basically throwing them in the trash can for no reason is gonna be hard to overcome. People of ALL ages have been waiting for a new movie about Luke & Leia, so relegating them to the shadows should have been a predictable strategy for failure.

Well Put!
One of the best write-ups on the phenomenon I've ever read. And it makes sense to me.
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS:
Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker | D23 Special Look

At 1:45 I did NOT expected that.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potroclo wrote:
Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker | D23 Special Look

Lightsaber duel, check. There's one improvement over TLJ.

Potroclo wrote:
SPOILERS:

Thanks, but officially released trailers aren't spoilers because this is what they want us to see in advance of a film's release.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the footage of the resistance fleet exiting hyperspace, though to me it looks like they actually exit hyperspace IN ATMOSPHERE, but that is not what I wanted to adress really

The following footage we see a fleet of imperial, not first order, star destroyers, modified ones.

This makes me think that these are some of the imperial remnants still active, or even possibly thrawns fleet.

Now I just had a wild thought, what if theseare the allies of the resistance, an ex imperial faction, seeing the first order as the enemy.

maybe the true nature of the first order is the "threat from the unkown regions" palpatine was fearing, maybe they ally to take it down, ending the saga in the process

but is it plausable that there could be something like an imperial faction that is the resistance allies?
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea.

Everyone is talking about "Dark Rey" (I think it is just a vision), but what about Dark Threepio?

Maybe Threepio is Palpatine's secret apprentice?

Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Interesting idea.

Everyone is talking about "Dark Rey" (I think it is just a vision), but what about Dark Threepio?

Maybe Threepio is Palpatine's secret apprentice?

Cool

Me too. I think Evil 3-PO is the biggest deal about this new trailer.

Lando was the biggest deal about the last trailer.
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just the low battery warning light Laughing
Apparently, in a book about Solo (new canon) there's some kind of device that can turn all droids in the Galaxy evil or something like that... Heard it from HelloGreedo so I can't tell much more about it, but it's interesting.
Some people speculate it's a scene where he receives some kind of combat upgrade, which would explain (spoiler:) him with the bowcaster in that early poster that leaked...
I don't really care Laughing but I do find the lack of R2D2 disturbing!

Last edited by Potroclo on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potroclo wrote:

Holy Farking Force, an evil C-3PO is one thing, but you just imagine the havoc that an evil R2-D2 would unleash?

Such things do not bear further contemplation. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potroclo wrote:
Some people speculate it's a scene where he receives some kind of combat upgrade, which would explain him with the bowcaster in that early poster that leaked...

I never saw Threepio with a bowcaster. Fan speculation is fine but I would classify leaks as spoilers, so please don't discuss leaks. Thanks. I guess I should specify that in the forum guidelines.

Potroclo wrote:

Yes. They've added yet another droid for this movie. Threepio and Artoo further marginalized. They should have saved all these new droids for the future non-Skywalker films.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Fan speculation is fine but I would classify leaks as spoilers, so please don't discuss leaks. Thanks.

woops! First I posted a trailer as spoiler which wasn't and now this hahah! I'm sorry, I'm still a noob here, but now I know!

Whill wrote:
They've added yet another droid for this movie.
Yup, and I don't know about you guys but although BB8 was a nice addition I'm not feeling this one, it doesn't have the Star Wars look to me...

Sutehp wrote:
Holy Farking Force, an evil C-3PO is one thing, but you just imagine the havoc that an evil R2-D2 would unleash?

Maybe that's why they're giving R2 less and less spotlight Laughing
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Potroclo wrote:
Some people speculate it's a scene where he receives some kind of combat upgrade, which would explain him with the bowcaster in that early poster that leaked...

I never saw Threepio with a bowcaster. Fan speculation is fine but I would classify leaks as spoilers, so please don't discuss leaks. Thanks. I guess I should specify that in the forum guidelines.

Potroclo wrote:

Yes. They've added yet another droid for this movie. Threepio and Artoo further marginalized. They should have saved all these new droids for the future non-Skywalker films.

Bowcaster & bandolier toting 3PO was from an allegedly leaked poster. Whether the poster is real or a fan fake was debated. If real, I tend to doubt the unauthorized nature of such leaks anyways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: