The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Memes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars Memes Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Oh gawds, another Dune remake?

No, not another remake. There have never been any remakes. There have been two previous adaptations of original novel, the 1984 film and 2000 sci-fi channel mini-series. The mini-series did not remake the 1984 film, and the 2020 film is not remaking the first film or mini-series. The three adaptations have absolutely nothing to do with each other, other than the original work they are adapting. This is a very important distinction.

The David Lynch film was pretty well-cast but a deeply flawed adaptation (that I still enjoy aspects of anyway), and the mini-series was horribly cast. The only actor in that they got right was for Paul - Everyone else was bad. Bigger star William Hurt had a wooden quaalude performance.

Dune fandom has direly needed a good adaptation so hopes are high. The director is the guy who made Arrival (a pretty good movie about a difficult concept), and the Blade Runner sequel (critically acclaimed just not my bag). For Dune (2020) they assembled a star-studded cast including: Oscar Isaac (Star Wars), Josh Brolin (Avengers films and Guardians of the Galaxy), Stellan Skarsgård (Thor films and Avengers films), Jason Momoa (Aquaman and Justice League), Dave Bautista (Guardians of the Galaxy films and Avengers films), Zendaya (the current live-action Spider-Man film series), Rebecca Ferguson (Mission: Impossible films), Javier Bardem (Bond villain), David Dastmalchianand (Ant-Man films and The Dark Knight), and Timothée Chalamet (Interstellar). The director describes his adaptation of Dune to be "Star Wars for adults."

Sutehp wrote:
Which brings up an important (at least for me, anyway) question: Star Wars fans have been referred to as "Jedi Knights," Star Trek fans are called "Trekkies," Doctor Who fans are known as "Whovians...."

So what does one call Dune fans? Fremen? Followers of the Mahdi? Sand worms?

Dune fans are called "Dune fans". Just because some fandoms have special names for their fans doesn't mean they all do.

I'm never heard of "Jedi Knight" as a name for Star Wars fans. I have read that the UK has added "Jedi Knight" as a religion to their censuses, but I would at most use that term to describe real people who either live their lives practicing Jedi philosophies or regularly cosplay as Jedi Knights.

And us Trekkers know that "Trekkies" only describes lower-tier Trek fans. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
No, not another remake. There have never been any remakes. There have been two previous adaptations of original novel, the 1984 film and 2000 sci-fi channel mini-series. The mini-series did not remake the 1984 film, and the 2020 film is not remaking the first film or mini-series. The three adaptations have absolutely nothing to do with each other, other than the original work they are adapting. This is a very important distinction.

Duly noted.

Whill wrote:
The David Lynch film was pretty well-cast but a deeply flawed adaptation (that I still enjoy aspects of anyway), and the mini-series was horribly cast. The only actor in that they got right was for Paul - Everyone else was bad. Bigger star William Hurt had a wooden quaalude performance.

I had no idea quaaludes were made of wood. That being said, I did see the Dune mini-series and I do remember that Hurt's performance did seem "dialed in."

Whill wrote:
Dune fandom has direly needed a good adaptation so hopes are high. The director is the guy who made Arrival (a pretty good movie about a difficult concept), and the Blade Runner sequel (critically acclaimed just not my bag). For Dune (2020) they assembled a star-studded cast including: Oscar Isaac (Star Wars), Josh Brolin (Avengers films and Guardians of the Galaxy), Stellan Skarsgård (Thor films and Avengers films), Jason Momoa (Aquaman and Justice League), Dave Bautista (Guardians of the Galaxy films and Avengers films), Zendaya (the current live-action Spider-Man film series), Rebecca Ferguson (Mission: Impossible films), Javier Bardem (Bond villain), David Dastmalchianand (Ant-Man films and The Dark Knight), and Timothée Chalamet (Interstellar). The director describes his adaptation of Dune to be "Star Wars for adults."

Most of those people I've seen and heard of: an all-star cast, so that's a promising sign. With this sort of cast, I might just go see this version of Dune myself. (I want to dispute the director's implication that Star Wars is just for kids, but no one can deny that Star Wars has been marketed to kids ever since the beginning. Hell, I used to play with those old school Star Wars action figures and toys myself waaaaay back in the day....)

Whill wrote:
Dune fans are called "Dune fans". Just because some fandoms have special names for their fans doesn't mean they all do.

I've never heard of "Jedi Knight" as a name for Star Wars fans. I have read that the UK has added "Jedi Knight" as a religion to their censuses, but I would at most use that term to describe real people who either live their lives practicing Jedi philosophies or regularly cosplay as Jedi Knights.

I remember hearing that about the UK having "Jedi Knight" as a religion in their census. I think I might have conflated that with "Jedi Knight" being a term for Star Wars fans.

Whill wrote:
And us Trekkers know that "Trekkies" only describes lower-tier Trek fans. Cool

There are tiers among the Star trek fandom? Shocked Who knew? Razz Ugh, why am I always the last to find out about these sorts of things?
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
The only actor in that they got right was for Paul - Everyone else was bad. Bigger star William Hurt had a wooden quaalude performance.

I had no idea quaaludes were made of wood. That being said, I did see the Dune mini-series and I do remember that Hurt's performance did seem "dialed in."

The quaaludes he took when filming that show were made of wood! LOL. Actually, I was using the word quaalude as another adjective.

Sutehp wrote:
I want to dispute the director's implication that Star Wars is just for kids, but no one can deny that Star Wars has been marketed to kids ever since the beginning. Hell, I used to play with those old school Star Wars action figures and toys myself waaaaay back in the day....

I don't think there is an implication of "just" kids. Star Wars is for kids, and the young at heart. Dune is not for kids.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

You ignite your lightsaber for all the wrong reasons for just a few seconds and then people never let you live that down for the rest of your life. So unfair....
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Dredwulf60 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800 pixel wide image

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stolen from a friend on Facebook:

things we know about Rey: force mind tricks don’t work on her

things we know about Rey’s parentage: filthy junk traders who sold her for drinking money

things we know about Watto: force mind tricks don’t work on him, is a filthy junk trader who would sell anything for money
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serves those Sand People right for trying to mess with a Stable Time Loop.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Not getting this. Is that Yoda wearing a baby bib or something?
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Its an evolution of currently popular meme:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/woman-yelling-at-a-cat
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Its an evolution of currently popular meme:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/woman-yelling-at-a-cat

Yeah, no, I can't see Yoda as a cat or ever getting confused. With those ears of his, Yoda looks far more like a dog and he's too old, experienced and savvy to ever be surprised or confused by anything. Dude was 900 years old when he kicked the bucket so of course he's Seen It All. I guess this just falls flat with me. *shrug*

Which leads me to an interesting question: was there ever a time in the Star Wars EU (either canon or Legends) where Yoda was surprised or thrown for a loop? I haven't seen anything like that; I'm wondering if anyone else has.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 14 of 37

Jump to: