The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obscure Character Archive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Obscure Character Archive! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Would Korso use the blaster artillery skill or the repeating blaster specialization to fire his "Z-6 rotary blast cannon?"

He would use the blaster: repeating blaster specialization, not unlike the skill listed for the E-web or other light repeating blasters capable of hand-held/portable use. The cut-off for blaster artillery that I always see is that it refers to truly "fixed" heavier weapons/cannons.

Thank you for the heads up however — I've added that missing skill use info for the Z-6 (along with its increased ammo usage of 6 per burst) to Korso's equipment stats for clarity!

Last edited by Telsij on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
It's Solo Sunday once again, as OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE gives you the original "Muscle" of Beckett's crew, KORSO!

Although he meets an untimely end on Mimban, and was cut from the film, Korso does appear in Mur Lafferty's SOLO: A Star Wars Story Expanded Edition novelization.

The novelization characterizes Korso not as a criminal already traveling with Beckett's group (as Jon Kasdan references in tweets re: previous script drafts), but as a quiet, scarred soldier looking to get off-world in exchange for aiding Beckett's infiltration.

KORSO
Type: Stoic Heavy Gunner

Thanks for doing Korso! And that is a cool image of him.

Alternative stats for the Z-6 using CRM's Auto-Fire rules can be found here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the autoblaster require some minimum strength to operate? I can see this being quite a heavy weapon and nothing for a 2D character, 3D and 3D+ is another matter. IDK, I even think I saw in the weapon stat book that there was a clone version of this that required 3D str but I can be mistaken
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Would the autoblaster require some minimum strength to operate? I can see this being quite a heavy weapon and nothing for a 2D character, 3D and 3D+ is another matter. IDK, I even think I saw in the weapon stat book that there was a clone version of this that required 3D str but I can be mistaken

For my version, I went with this instead:
    due to its bulk, the Rotary Blaster Cannon suffers a -1D penalty to Blaster if the gunner attempts to move and fire the gun in the same round (This penalty can be ignored on a Moderate Strength or Lifting roll as a Free Action)

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

It's true! I included that info, taken from one of the sources that I composited the Z-6 stats from, in Korso's write-up! See excerpt from Korso's equipment statblock on the previous page, and quoted below: Very Happy

Telsij wrote:
Characters with Strength lower than 3D who attempt to use the Z-6, do so at higher difficulty: all range increments are treated as one difficulty level higher, unless the weapon is tripod mounted.

CRMcNeill wrote:
For my version, I went with this instead:
due to its bulk, the Rotary Blaster Cannon suffers a -1D penalty to Blaster if the gunner attempts to move and fire the gun in the same round (This penalty can be ignored on a Moderate Strength or Lifting roll as a Free Action)

You know, I almost went with something like this as well. I kept the 3D Strength minimum from the previous versions of the gun, but would have called for anyone with below a 3D STR to operate the gun at multi-action penalty, with an Easy Lifting check called for each round. I like your introducing the move and fire penalty — not unlike the bowcaster RAW mechanics. Might revisit!

Whill wrote:
Alternative stats for the Z-6 using CRM's Auto-Fire rules can be found here.

Yes! CRM's / Rancor Pit's Auto-Fire rules are awesome.

Thank you for linking to that here (as it was especially relevant), and for the kind words, Whill!

Last edited by Telsij on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Bren wrote:
Would Korso use the blaster artillery skill or the repeating blaster specialization to fire his "Z-6 rotary blast cannon?"

He would use blaster: repeating blaster specialization, not unlike the skill listed for the E-web or other light repeating blasters capable of hand-held/portable use. The cut-off for blaster artillery that I always see is that it refers to truly "fixed" heavier weapons/cannons.
It was the word "cannon" that made me wonder. Cannon to me says artillery. However the picture looks more like some type of infantry support weapon. Thanks for clarifying.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me (as codified here, in my Blaster Stat write-up), the dividing line between Blaster and Blaster Artillery is whether or not a weapon is crew-served and/or requires some degree of set-up/tear-down when not mounted on a vehicle. As such, while a Medium Repeating Blaster is bulky/heavy enough to present some difficulty for a single character to operate, it is still a Blaster weapon. An E-Web, however, requires at least two crew to operate normally (1 gunner and 1 generator operator) and must be transported in multiple pieces (cannon, tripod, power cable and power generator) which must be assembled at the firing point before the weapon can be used. That aspect of teamwork operation is, IMO, what qualifies as Blaster Artillery.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An E-web looks like it would operate the same as a repeating blaster and should be classed as such. To me SW repeating blasters in WEG seem similar to WW2 Squad Support weapons like a German MG-42. The E-web seems like a WW2 US .50 cal Heavy MG. I would think the two would use the same skill. The examples
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
The E-web seems like a WW2 US .50 cal Heavy MG. I would think the two would use the same skill.

The thing is, there's going to be a degree of overlap in similarity for any sort of direct-fire weapon. In fact, I sometimes question whether or not Firearms should be a separate category (never for very long; IMO, the ballistics of solid projectiles in a gravity well and a standard atmosphere are enough to tip the balance against the idea). Bn most cases, you're pointing a ranged weapon at a target and pulling the trigger. The idea of having to work together as part of a team (with one gunner and one guy watching the gauges on the power generator to let the gunner know when he needs to pause and let the unit cool down) is, IMO, sufficiently different from one guy shooting a blaster until his power pack runs out as to justify being a different skill.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Heavy machinegun, be it a .30 cal a .50 or maybe a .8mm mauser the tripod version were considered squad weapons and considered heavy weapons.
This was regardless of the fact that some of the machenguns were also portable and used by a gunner and a loader, agin even without the tripod these weapons were considered squad weapons.

Now as to the rotary blaster, this is very much like a "mini gun" and this despite being a "back pack" is very much a squad or fire team weapon.

it can even be compared to the M 249 while this actually can be carried and firedm it is mostly a mounted weapon etc.

and it is not just about the weight of the weapon it is also about the most effective process of sustained fire, reloading and maintainance. and it is easier to operate most machineguns in a team of two or three

Now it so that miniguns can be and sometimes are carried, and they are heavy in weight, however even if carried and fired by one man, the weapon's spare parts, tools, etc is carried by a second on the team
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game splits attributes into skills for ease of gaming, not because it's a perfect match to the real world, so lines have to be drawn somewhere. For the purposes of my house rule, repeaters and similarly sized weapons were classified as follows:
    Light - Can be carried and operated normally by one character.
    Medium - Can be carried and operated with some difficulty by one character, which can be offset by the presence of an assistant / gunner's mate.
    Large - Can not be carried and operated by one character, but requires a team to operate normally, and usually must be either vehicle mounted or broken down into component parts for transport.
For my purposes, Light and Medium would be covered by Blaster (or Firearms or Missile Weapons, as the case may be) while Heavy would fall under Artillery.

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with his coworker, the crooked cardsharp J'MEEB GUMB, whose write-up is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-7Q2Dm1-OcIUGpuMF9PUmhVQUE
(and who was one of my favorite previous OBSCURE CHARACTER write-ups from back when I laid them out fancily as PDFs), REGG KUUGA is one of the criminals
that you (as Jango Fett) could capture dead or alive in the Star Wars: Bounty Hunter videogame!

I also always thought of the duo as resembling TOEJAM and EARL

REGG KUUGA
Type: Fugitive Shipjacker

DEXTERITY 2D+1
Blaster 4D+1, blaster: blaster rifle 5D+1, dodge 3D+1
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Bureaucracy: Haugg Nerf Industries 3D+2, intimidation 4D+2,
planetary systems: interstellar tourism 4D, streetwise 4D+2,
value 4D, value: starships parts 5D, willpower 3D+2
MECHANICAL 2D+2
Astrogation 4D+2, capital ship gunnery 5D, capital ship piloting 5D,
space transports 3D+2, starship gunnery 3D+2
PERCEPTION 3D
Bargain 4D, bargain: starship parts 5D+1, command 4D+1, con 4D
STRENGTH 3D+2
Brawling 4D+2, lifting 4D+2, stamina 5D
TECHNICAL 3D+2
Capital ship repair 5D+1, capital ship weapon repair 4D+2,
computer programming/repair 4D+2, equipment repair 4D,
security 5D, starship weapon repair 4D+2

Special Abilities and Story Factors:
  • Aggressive Supervision: The Draag species is generally regarded as aggressive and domineering. Because of their (relative) intelligence however, Draag have been able to use these cultural practices to their advantage, making them well suited for supervisory roles. In game terms, for every 1D of starting skill dice that is placed into his intimidation skill, a Draag character received 2D. However, the standard limit of +2D per skill — including bonus — for starting characters still applies. Moreover, if a Draag succeeds on an intimidation check against a target, he then gains a bonus when issuing commands to the same target. The command bonus is equal to +1 per margin of 3 by which his earlier intimidation roll succeeded. This bonus remains in effect until the target character succeeds on a subsequent intimidation/willpower opposed roll against the Draag, regardless of who initiates the interaction.

• Blaster Affinity: At creation, for every 1D of starting skill dice that is placed into his blaster skill, a Draag character receives 2D. However, the standard limit of +2D per skill (including bonus) for starting characters still applies.

• Cold-Blooded: Due to their cold-blooded nature, when in extreme heat (above 50 standard degrees) or cold (below -5 standard degrees), a Draag must make a Difficult stamina roll once per 15 minutes to avoid collapsing. In addition, if exposed to extreme cold, they grow extremely sluggish (all die codes are reduced by -3D), and can die from exposure to freezing temperature within 20 minutes. To combat these effects, Draag wear temperature-regulating suits whenever they travel to worlds with climates different from their homeworld.
Species: Draag
Homeworld: Ninzam VI
Character Points: 8
Move: 8

Capsule: Regg Kuuga had a price on his head. Although he appeared almost indistinguishable from the other burly — but bright — Draags who served as security foremen at Haugg Nerf Industries, like the meat-processing plant itself, Kuuga hid dangerous secrets beneath a blue-collar facade. While the Draags were known for their aggressiveness, Kuuga took it all a step further, by using his connections as foreman to exploit unsuspecting prey.

Haugg Nerf Industries was, in fact, a front for a death stick trafficking operation — and the deathsticks made therein were particularly deadly. So with a wealth of information on hyperlanes available to him due to his supervisory role, Kuuga sussed out the most vulnerable routes for medical ships, then used his technical know-how to hijack a number of medical frigates. After scrapping "unneeded" (but valuable) parts in exchange for weapons, he rebuilt the medical frigates into a small but formidable fleet of melee ships. And after enlisting the aid of various thugs-for-hire to act as boarders and crew, he later deployed them against tourist ships — to deadly effect. And that in turn, earned him the attention of the Coruscanti police, as well as a bounty: 2,500 credits alive and 1,250 credits dead.

Despite the surprisingly low price on his head, Kuuga was eventually captured by none other than Jango Fett — though the bounty hunter did so while in pursuit of more lucrative prey. Nonetheless, Kugga did not go down easy. A fine shot with the blaster, as well as strong-bodied brawler, Kuuga fought as viciously as the Draag species' reputation for ferocity suggested he would. Fortunately for Kuuga, Fett took him in alive anyway....

Equipment: Blaster rifle (5D damage, range: 3-30/100/300, ammo: 100), hazmat/security armor (chestplate and "spats" metatarsal guards: +2 vs. physical and energy damage. Covers torso and lower legs only), shipjacking kit (series of small, hand-held electronic decoders used by shipjackers and spice-jackers to gain access to a given ship while in port. When applied to a standard security lock, they electronically search out the proper encoded combination and replicate it in a matter of seconds. Game Effect: Adds +3D to the user's security roll to break through a ship's security code system), several modified medical frigates, temperature regulation suit with helmet (Provides a fully-sealed environment, protecting from radiation, environmental contaminants and extreme temperatures from -50º C to 150º C. When helmet-seal is secure, recycled air supply lasts 4 hours with temperature regulation batteries lasting up to 10 hours or 4 hours under extreme temperatures; helmet provides +1D vs. physical and +2 vs. energy).

Sources: Star Wars: Bounty Hunter videogame, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (p.19, p.70), Galaxy Guide 11: Criminal Organizations, Equipment Stats compilation sourcebook by Thiago S. Aranha, and Wookieepedia. Stats and text by Telsij. Images: "Draag supervisor" concept art by Cory Allemeier and game screencap.

"Bonus" image: Jango Fett's in-game HUD POV (in Italian) as he scans the bounty posted for Kuuga, source: https://bounty.fandom.com/it/wiki/Regg_Kuuga

DRAAG

Homeworld: Ninzam VI
Attribute Dice: 12D

DEXTERITY: 1D/3D+2
KNOWLEDGE: 1D+2/4D+1
MECHANICAL: 1D/4D
PERCEPTION: 1D+1/4D
STRENGTH: 1D+2/4D
TECHNICAL: 1D+1/4D

Move: 8/10

• Aggressive Supervision: The Draag species is generally regarded as aggressive and domineering. Because of their (relative) intelligence however, Draag have been able to use these cultural practices to their advantage, making them well suited for supervisory roles. In game terms, for every 1D of starting skill dice that is placed into his intimidation skill, a Draag character received 2D. However, the standard limit of +2D per skill — including bonus — for starting characters still applies. Moreover, if a Draag succeeds on an intimidation check against a target, he then gains a bonus when issuing commands to the same target. The command bonus is equal to +1 per margin of 3 by which his earlier intimidation roll succeeded. This bonus remains in effect until the target character succeeds on a subsequent intimidation/willpower opposed roll against the Draag, regardless of who initiates the interaction.

• Blaster Affinity: At creation, for every 1D of starting skill dice that is placed into his blaster skill, a Draag character receives 2D. However, the standard limit of +2D per skill (including bonus) for starting characters still applies.

• Cold-Blooded: Due to their cold-blooded nature, when in extreme heat (above 50 standard degrees) or cold (below -5 standard degrees), a Draag must make a Difficult stamina roll once per 15 minutes to avoid collapsing. In addition, if exposed to extreme cold, they grow extremely sluggish (all die codes are reduced by -3D), and can die from exposure to freezing temperature within 20 minutes. To combat these effects, Draag wear temperature-regulating suits whenever they travel to worlds with climates different from their homeworld.

Capsule: A cold-blooded reptilian species from the Ninzam system, Draags are fierce, smart, and especially good with blasters. Due to their domineering nature, Draag make excellent security foremen and are often found in large factories. They are often seen wearing insulated suits to regulate their body temperature.

Sources: Star Wars: Bounty Hunter videogame, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (p.19, p.70). Galaxy Guide 11: Criminal Organizations, and Wookieepedia. Stats by Telsij. Capsule text is direct quotation from Star Wars: Bounty Hunter: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (p.19).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this guy. Very Happy Thanks for sharing.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy "Force Friday" / Merch-Push Friday, everyone! ;-P

Say hey to SAPONZA, everyone's favorite/default partner in crime — and associate to many a spacer, from BoShek to Therm Scissorpunch — from the Star Wars Commander videogame, along with his ship, the STRIX!

SAPONZA
Type: Merc

A Quote: "Been awhile since you've been on Tatooine with your old partner Saponza. It actually feels good to be back under the twin suns."

DEXTERITY 3D+2
Blaster 6D+1, blaster: blaster pistol 7D, blaster: blaster rifle 7D, blaster artillery 5D+2, brawling parry 5D,
dodge 5D+2, grenade 4D+2, melee combat 4D, melee combat: vibro-bayonet 5D+2, missile weapons 4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Business 4D, planetary systems 5D, planetary systems: Tatooine 6D+1,
streetwise 6D+2, survival 5D, tactics: front-line infantry 5D+2, value 4D
MECHANICAL 2D+2
Astrogation 5D+2, communications 4D, repulsorlift operation 4D+2, space transports 5D+2,
space transports: CR-20 troop carrier 7D, starship gunnery 6D+1, starship shields 4D
PERCEPTION 2D+1
Bargain 5D+1, command 4D+1, command: squad 5D+2, con 4D+2,
hide 4D+2, persuasion 5D+2, sneak 3D+2
STRENGTH 3D+2
Brawling 5D, climbing/jumping 4D, lifting 5D, stamina 4D+2
TECHNICAL 3D
Blaster repair 4D+1, construction 5D, demolition 4D, droid repair 3D+2, equipment repair 4D+2,
security 4D, space transport repair 3D+2, space transport repair: CR-20 troop carrier 5D+2

Species: Human
Homeworld: Tatooine

Force Points: 1
Character Points: 9
Move: 9*

Story Factors:
  • Balky Knees: *Although he is still formidable in a fight, Saponza has lost a step, and his knees are not what they used to be. In game terms, this is reflected in his lowered Move score.

• Marked Man: For killing six of Jabba’s scouts, Saponza has earned the Hutt’s ire. He had also previously run afoul of Black Sun, prompting the syndicate to send a Mandalorian assassin in pursuit of Saponza for “skipping out” on them.

Capsule: Saponza was a battle-hardened soldier-for-hire. However, he was a mercenary also known for his smooth talking ways. But a silver tongue can get you only so far, when your stock-and-trade are blaster bolts and bodies. And so, after the Battle of Yavin, Saponza and his partner returned to Tatooine, ostensibly to set up a business. But if one reads between the lines of Saponza's entry in The Smuggler's Guide — an underworld tome that has changed hands many times, begun as a journal of Maz Kanata's, but passing from one spacer to the next soon thereafter, serving as travel log — Saponza returned to Tatooine less so by choice, than out of necessity:
    "Saw this book in the waiting area of Keldooine Starshipwrights and thought it might help me out, but what's a guy like me supposed to do with it?

I ain't a smuggler and I sure as scratch ain't a treasure hunter. Maybe three decades ago, back when my knees didn't pop and the underworld still made sense.

I've been posting this listing on the Undervine for a month without a nibble. How come nobody'll hire a mercenary anymore?

SAPONZA, SOLDIER FOR HIRE

EXPERIENCE: Mytaranor Campaign, Kwymar Suppressions, Retreat from Parcelus Minor

SPECIALIZATIONS: Blaster rifles, blaster pistols, front-line infantry tactics, vibro-bayonets, short-range artillery, squad command

REFERENCES: Available upon request

Crimson Dawn? Nothing! Son-Tuul Pride? Nothing! They've got all their own private armies, I figure.

I need some credits fast if I'm gonna lose that Mando assassin. I'm telling you, you skip out on Black Sun ONE TIME, and this is what happens!"

Although it is unclear as to exactly what happened next, one thing did become as clear as the scorching desert skies: Saponza hoped to leave his life as an underworld mercenary behind.

Unfortunately, Saponza soon became involved in an escalating conflict with Jabba the Hutt, after killing six of the crimelord's scouts in a shootout. And in time, Saponza and his partner even became caught up in the Galactic Civil War.

Despite initially accepting work from both the Empire and the Rebel Alliance, the duo's success in recovering medical supplies from a Hutt Cartel den on the planet Dandoran earned them an offer of allegiance from the Rebels. Upon returning to his homestead after aiding the Alliance, Saponza discovered that Jabba's men had destroyed his homestead in retaliation for the earlier death of their comrades. Realizing they could not face Jabba alone, Saponza and his gang were finally forced to choose a side....

"There's no way we can fight Jabba alone. Time to pick a side. The mechanical might of the Galactic Empire or the heroic freedom fighters of the Rebel Alliance?" — Saponza.

Equipment: Bandolier, frag grenades (5D/4D/3D/2D damage, range: 3-7/20/40, blast radius: 0-2/4/6/10), comlink, fingerless work gloves, holo-communicator, homestead/"home base" on Tatooine, modified BlasTech DL-18 blaster pistol (4D+2 damage, range: 3-10/30/100, ammo: 100), modified CR-20 troop carrier (Strix), orange spacer's jacket with tan trim (shoulder-pads grant +1 bonus to stamina checks when using shoulders as brace for lifting tasks), toolkit, spare blaster powerpacks, utility belt.

Sources: Star Wars: Commander videogame, Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide by Daniel Wallace (p.74), https://www.starwars.com/databank/saponza , and Wookieepedia. Capsule text adapted from Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide by Daniel Wallace (p.74), https://www.starwars.com/databank/saponza , Wookieepedia, and Star Wars Commander - iOS / Android - HD (Sneak Peek - Empire) Gameplay Trailer ( https://youtu.be/oJkOxsitx5A ). Stats and original text by Telsij. Character Image: Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide (p.74).

STRIX

Model: CEC CR-20 Troop Carrier
Type: Modified troop carrier
Affiliation: Saponza's Gang
Era: Republic/Imperial
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 60 meters
Skill: Space transports: CR-20 troop carrier
Crew: 2, skeleton: 1/+5, gunners: 2
Crew Skill: See Saponza
Passengers: 25 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: 185 metric tons
Consumables: 2 months
Cost: Not Available for Sale
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Hyperdrive Backup: x12
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kmh
Hull: 6D
Shields: 3D
Sensors:
    Passive: 25/1D+1
    Scan: 50/2D
    Search: 75/2D+2
    Focus: 3/3D
Weapons:
  • 2 Double Laser Cannons
    Fire Arc: Turret (left and right)
    Crew: 1 gunner per turret (cannot be fired from cockpit)
    Skill: Starship gunnery
    Fire Control: 2D
    Space Range: 1-3/12/25
    Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
    Damage: 5D+2

• 1 "Heavy Laser Cannon" / W-34t Turbolaser
    Fire Arc: Dorsal turret
    Crew: 1 gunner (can be fired from cockpit)
    Fire Control: 3D (1D if fired from cockpit)
    Space Range: 1-4/15/30
    Atmospheric Range: 300-1.5/3.5/7.5 km
    Damage: 7D

Game Notes: What Saponza calls the Strix's heavy "laser cannon" is essentially a dorsally-mounted aftermarket turbolaser. Due to the power drain its use causes, the dorsal cannon can fire only once every other round, before it must recharge for one full round.

"I'm sitting in the Strix on standby, partner. I can strafe the battle once before the old gal's laser cannon needs to recharge. Just give me a target." ― Saponza

Sources: Star Wars: Commander videogame, https://www.starwars.com/databank/saponza , Star Wars Commander - iOS / Android - HD (Sneak Peek - Empire) Gameplay Trailer ( https://youtu.be/oJkOxsitx5A ), and Wookieepedia. Stats by Telsij, based upon stock CR20 Republic Carrier stats in Starship Stats compilation book by Thiago S. Aranha and on d6holocron.com, and Wookieepedia, with upgrades made using the rules in Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters (2E, pp.33-43). Images: https://www.starwars.com/databank/saponza and in-game graphic sourced from Wookieepedia.

And with the downshift of the CR-20 Troop Carrier from Capital ship scale to Starfighter, revised stock stats below.

CR-20 Troop Carrier
Model: CEC CR-20 Troop Carrier
Type: Stock troop carrier
Era: Republic/Imperial
Length: 60 meters
Skill: Space transports: CR-20 troop carrier
Crew: 6 (Per CEC guidelines, optimal crew consists of:
1 pilot, 1 co-pilot, 1 com-scan operator, 3 engineers),
skeleton: 1/+10; gunners: 2
Crew Skill: Varies
Passengers: 40 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: 50 metric tons
Consumables: 2 weeks
Cost: 680,000 credits (265,000 used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x3
Hyperdrive Backup: x12
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 5
Atmosphere: 295; 850 kmh
Hull: 5D+1
Shields: 2D+1
Sensors:
    Passive: 25/1D+1
    Scan: 50/2D
    Search: 75/2D+2
    Focus: 3/3D
Weapons:
  • 2 Double Laser Cannons
    Fire Arc: Turret (left and right)
    Crew: 1 gunner per turret
    Fire Control: 1D+2 (0D if fired from the cockpit)
    Atmospheric Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
    Damage: 5D+2

Sources: Star Wars: Commander videogame, https://www.starwars.com/databank/saponza , Star Wars Commander - iOS / Android - HD (Sneak Peek - Empire) Gameplay Trailer ( https://youtu.be/oJkOxsitx5A ), and Wookieepedia. Revised stats by Telsij, based upon stock CR20 Republic Carrier stats in Starship Stats compilation book by Thiago S. Aranha and d6holocron.com, with reference to WEG's F7 “Landing Brick” Drop-Ship.

Prompted by the "capital ship scale and space transports" thread over in the Ships, Vehicles and Tech section, here are the approaches I usually take, which vary depending on what kind of game I'm running. The basic premise has been covered a number times over in the ships section and is fairly obvious/straightforward, but I'll include this here for completion's sake:

In games I GM where I use my own house-rules, I make use of the +6D RAW scale difference between starfighter and capital, for larger transport-role ships that are still shy of "true" capital scale and function. For these purposes, I define capital scale roughly as: at least 100-150m and meant for combat engagement proper rather than primarily transport duty, with often larger minimum crewing req. I take the ship's existing capital-scale stats, treat them as starfighter scale, then see where they fit, in the +2D increments between starfighter and capital. Then, rather than the 6D scale modifier between starfighter and capital, they get only a +2D or +4D when scale most comes into play (attack/defense rolls, hull soak, weapon damage, etc). Yes, essentially creating sub-scales between starfighter and capital, and similar in spirit — though obviously not as far-reaching — to what CRMcNeill has done in such in-depth fashion with his excellent tome of revised rules and starship stats https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6769!

In games I GM where players are new and/or want to go rules-as-written, however, I make an ad hoc conversion only if/when a ship of a questionable scale comes into play. And rather than use an across-the-board +2D or +4D scale modifier for ships that are size X and function Y, the +2D or +4D go into the stat block where appropriate (hull, weapons, and maneuverability, and damage and fire control if applicable). In the interest of keeping these write-ups RAW-er compatible, the revised CR-20 stock stats above use the ship's "new placement" in the first +2D rung of the 6D ladder between starfighter and capital scale, by incorporating the modifier into the stat block.

Bren wrote:
I like this guy. Very Happy Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Bren! I was fond of a lot of the designs in that game. The concept art was well done, and both the Draag and Guineo aliens were definitely standouts. (And I enjoyed that the Draag were basically characterized as a "pushy boss" species!)
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For SUSAUT VOLUPICITE of SOLO: A Star Wars Story, there was little to go — not even a species name! — so this is largely an original write-up, inspired by his concept art's "Maverick 006" title and his two brief on-screen appearances (first in Denny's TV commercial for its Solo tie-in, then his Sabacc hand loss)!

Also decided to "create" him as one would a PC via the SW REUP rules (loosely, as I allowed splitting of starting skill dice into pips and a single pip being good for 1 specialization), using the fun (albeit flawed) Adv/Disadv system ported over from WEG's later D6 system. So strap in to your fighter and get ready for minor Top Gun references, ties to Sebulba's fate in new canon, and really leaning into his ram/goat aesthetic!

SUSAUT VOLUPICITE
Type: Maverick Pilot

A Quote: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/4/45/Lando-Susaut.ogg
—Volupicite vocalizes frustration in response to Lando Calrissian's winning Sabacc hand

DEXTERITY 3D
Blaster 4D, blaster: blaster pistol 5D, dodge 4D
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Planetary systems 4D, streetwise 4D,
streetwise: battle-racing circuit 5D+1
MECHANICAL 4D
Repulsorlift operation 5D, space transports 5D+2,
starfighter piloting 5D+2, starship gunnery 5D+1
PERCEPTION 3D
Gambling 3D+2, gambling: Sabacc 4D+2
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 4D, brawling: martial arts 5D
TECHNICAL 2D
Space transport repair: jury-rig 3D+1

Force Points: 1
Move: 10
Size: Over 1.94 meters tall

Advantages and Disadvantages:
  • Holds a Grudge (+2D): Susaut Volupicite does not forgive easily. Although he will not (necessarily) risk life and limb simply in pursuit of a vendetta, he won't shy away from it either. And he would certainly relish seeing someone who slighted him get their comeuppance!

• Reckless (+2D): Susaut Volupicite is prone to jumping into the fray without first considering consequences. This tendency often gets him in over his head — as evidenced by his single broken horn.

• Sworn Enemy (+2D): About Battle-racing, renowned gambler Lando Calrissian once said, "It's just like regular racing. Just with... well... live ammo." In short, it was a dangerous sport, and developing rivalries only made it more deadly. Unfortunately for Susaut Volupicite, there were few deadlier rivals than Sebulba. Finally free from podracing’s constraints of “playing fair” (at least publicly), the Dug scoundrel thrived anew during the era of Galactic Civil War, as a battle-racer, and Volupicite often found himself in Sebulba’s cross-hairs! In fact, Volupicite suspects that Sebulba may have had a hand in sabotaging his most recent race....

Martial Arts Techniques Known:
  • Head-butt: Volupicite may use his head to strike a target in combat, without suffering injury himself. Difficulty: Easy. Effect: If the character’s skill roll meets the difficulty number, he may use his head to strike the target (inflicting STR+1D damage). Head-butt can be performed even if the character is bound or held, and can be used as a reaction skill.

• Horns of the Hard-Headed: Members of Susaut Volupicite's species have thick horns that curl down from atop their heads, where the protruding skull-plate base of these horns not only provides natural armor, but also proves useful in close-quarters combat. In game terms, the horns/skull-plate grant a +1D bonus to resist physical damage to the head, and a +1D bonus to inflict damage when using their heads or horns while brawling.

• Natural Climbers: Members of Susaut Volupicite's species are natural climbers, having evolved in a habitat where climbing cliff-faces in precarious positions was the norm. In game terms, they may re-roll a failed climbing skill check, but must accept the second result.

• Nonconformist: In part as a reaction to being rejected by the Empire, but in larger part due to his own individualistic inclinations, Susaut Volupicite will almost always disregard common wisdom and consensus, in order to follow what he considers a path of his own making.

Capsule: To call Susaut Volupicite brash would be an understatement. With a penchant for charging into every situation at full-speed and at his own peril, Volupicite was fortunate to have honed the skills needed to back up his headstrong ways. Gifted/cursed with a strong contrarian streak, Volupicite made a point of blazing his own trails, often in blatant disregard of others' advice, or of so-called common wisdom.

As a pilot flying for his local planetary defense force, Volupicite was denied entry to the Imperial starfighter corps after the Empire took over his homeworld. And like many who had suffered not only under the facism of Imperial rule, but also from the prejudice of the Empire's humanocentric ways, Volupicite took to the stars. His talents eventually landed him an almost-lucrative (and definitely dangerous) gig in the battle-racing circuit, but it was his headstrong ways that eventually landed him in real trouble.

Racing under the codename "Maverick Six" — his callsign from his old squadron — Volupicite flew and fought every contest like it was his last. And he was successful for a time... until he finally let his ego write checks his starship couldn’t cash. The crash was spectacular — but Volupicite survived, through sheer stubbornness and a steadfast refusal to die.

With Göse, his long-suffering navigator/mechanic, in tow, Volupicite managed to make it to Vandor. But his ship, the Ram's Head, was in dire need of repair and Volupicite lacked sufficient credits to purchase the necessary parts. And so, ever the risk-taker, Volupicite decided to vie for a piece of the action in a high-stakes Sabacc game at the Lodge. Unfortunately, he was bested by one of the best in the business, Lando Calrissian.

Though Volupicite left the gambling table in disgust, he and his companion kept a watchful eye on the game, hopeful that the new arrival, a swaggering interloper who called himself Han "Solo", would prove a match for Calrissian in the end.

Equipment: Glie-44 blaster pistol (4D+2 damage, range: 1-20/50/180 ammo: 100), holster harness, CEC XS-800 light freighter modified for battle-racing (Ram's Head), vacuum suit (provides 10 hours of atmosphere when sealed).

Sources: Solo: A Star Wars Story film, Denny's Solo-themed TV commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWiCjiYi7o , Wookieepedia, Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide (p.126), and Robert Nairne IMDB page https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6003807/bio . Battle-racing background: Star Wars: Adventures issue 23. Glie-44 weapon stats: D6 holocron Wiki. Stats and text by Telsij.

Character Images: Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide (p.126) and The Art of Solo: A Star Wars Story: "Maverick 006" Concept artwork by Adam Brockbank and Luke Fisher (above); Denny's Solo-themed TV commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWiCjiYi7o (below).

Ram's Head

Craft: Corellian Engineering Corporation XS-800 Light Freighter
Type: Modified Light Freighter
Affiliation: "Maverick" Squadron
Era: Imperial/Rebellion
Length: 30.2 meters
Skill: Space transports: XS-800
Crew: 1 to 2 (can coordinate)
Crew Skill: See Suasaut Volupicite
Passengers: 6 (reduced from 8)
Cargo Capacity: 115 metric tons
Consumables: 2 months
Cost: Not Available for Sale
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Hyperdrive Backup: x15
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 8 (mishap modifier +1)
Atmosphere: 365; 1050 kmh
Hull: 4D (mishap modifier +2)
Shields: 3D
Sensors:
    Passive: 15/0D
    Scan: 30/1D
    Search: 50/3D
    Focus: 2/4D
Weapons:
  • Quad Laser Cannon (fire linked)
    Fire Arc: Front
    Crew: 1 (fired from cockpit)
    Fire Control: 2D
    Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
    Damage: 6D

Notes: 2 additional cannons/fire-linkages
    (mishap modifier +2)

Sources: Stats by Telsij, based on stock stats in Stock Ships (pp. 21-23), with upgrades made using the rules in Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters (2E, pp.33-43).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 13 of 23

Jump to: