The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Damage Chart for Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Damage Chart for Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Damage Chart for Droids Reply with quote

I've been meaning to do this for some time, but never quite got around to it. However, someone over on the FB group asked about it, and I had some free time, so here it is:
    Damage Chart for Droids:
    0-3 = Ionized / System Shock (-1D to All Skill and Attribute rolls for the remainder of the Round and all of the next Round. No permanent damage).
    4-8 = Lightly Damaged (Can take no action for the rest of the round, -1D to all Skill and Attribute rolls until repaired. A Lightly Damaged Droid that takes damage again becomes Heavily Damaged.)
    9-12 = Heavily Damaged (Can take no action for the rest of the round, -2D to all Skill and Attribute rolls until repaired. A Heavily Damaged Droid that takes damage again is Critically Damaged.)
    13-15 = Critically Damaged (Can perform no actions until repaired. A Critically Damaged Droid that takes damage again is Destroyed.)
    16+ = Destroyed (Some critical component of the droid has been irreparably damaged. Even if enough of the droid remains that it can be rebuilt with replacement parts, it will begin as a new character, having lost whatever individual essence it might have acquired over the course of its existence.)

The way I figure, a Critically Damaged Droid can literally be blown to pieces (see Threepio in ESB), but still not have suffered sufficient damage to be rendered unrepairable, as the damage inflicted didn't damage his CPU or whatever critical software components compromise "him".

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems pretty straight forward and makes sense to me.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage Chart for Droids Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've been meaning to do this for some time, but never quite got around to it. However, someone over on the FB group asked about it, and I had some free time, so here it is:
    Damage Chart for Droids:
    0-3 = Ionized / System Shock (-1D to All Skill and Attribute rolls for the remainder of the Round and all of the next Round. No permanent damage).
    4-8 = Lightly Damaged (Can take no action for the rest of the round, -1D to all Skill and Attribute rolls until repaired. A Lightly Damaged Droid that takes damage again becomes Heavily Damaged.)
    9-12 = Heavily Damaged (Can take no action for the rest of the round, -2D to all Skill and Attribute rolls until repaired. A Heavily Damaged Droid that takes damage again is Critically Damaged.)
    13-15 = Critically Damaged (Can perform no actions until repaired. A Critically Damaged Droid that takes damage again is Destroyed.)
    16+ = Destroyed (Some critical component of the droid has been irreparably damaged. Even if enough of the droid remains that it can be rebuilt with replacement parts, it will begin as a new character, having lost whatever individual essence it might have acquired over the course of its existence.)

The way I figure, a Critically Damaged Droid can literally be blown to pieces (see Threepio in ESB), but still not have suffered sufficient damage to be rendered unrepairable, as the damage inflicted didn't damage his CPU or whatever critical software components compromise "him".

I like it.

For my game I will probably tweak it be more analogous to my organic character Damage/Wound system (die code average based number ranges, important character and mook differentiation, added details such as character prone, etc.).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage Chart for Droids Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
For my game I will probably tweak it be more analogous to my organic character Damage/Wound system (die code average based number ranges, important character and mook differentiation, added details such as character prone, etc.).

Have at it, and please post the results.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage Chart for Droids Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Am I missing something? You seem to be disagreeing with yourself here.

I'd delete the sentence, "A Critically Damaged Droid that takes damage again is Destroyed." In that case, to destroy a droid you have to hit it for more than 15 points over the droid's STR resistance roll.

That also seems a fair balance for the fact that according to the rules, many droids e.g. R2s and 3P0s have low STR attributes when compared to biological characters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to stick as close to the standard Damage Chart as possible, and that's effectively the same result as Mortally Wounded for a PC (as in, if you're mortally wounded and you take damage again, it kills you). At that point, a droid may potentially be rebuilt by installing undamaged components and a new CPU, but at that point, any personality the droid may have developed is gone / reset to factory settings. Think of it less as the same droid being repaired and more of a different droid receiving donor parts.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I think I get it now.

You are using the same table and effects for droids as for living characters, but swapping words like "damaged" for words like "wounded."

You are saying that critical damage = (or could equal) blown to pieces, but the CPU is still intact and that is what happened to 3P0. And killed = CPU is significantly damaged or destroyed and that that didn't happen to either of the two droids at anytime.*

* I suppose one could suggest (as an alternative to an intentional memory wipe) that 3P0 took CPU damage sometime before ANH and that is why he seems to have forgotten the name Skywalker.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially, yes. The threshold for death is different when it comes to droids; there is at least one circumstance in the EU where a droid survived having his CPU destroyed (Bollux, in Han Solo at Stars' End), and was subsequently uploaded into a completely new body.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I suppose one could suggest (as an alternative to an intentional memory wipe) that 3P0 took CPU damage sometime before ANH and that is why he seems to have forgotten the name Skywalker.

One could, but Bail's Organa's intentional memory wipe makes perfect sense with the plot. Threepio is a blabbermouth and knew too much. And after the memory wipe, 19 years is plenty of time for him to get back to the same basic personality he had before the wipe.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
One could, but Bail's Organa's intentional memory wipe makes perfect sense with the plot. Threepio is a blabbermouth and knew too much. And after the memory wipe, 19 years is plenty of time for him to get back to the same basic personality he had before the wipe.
But his new life would be significantly different from his old one and it doesn't make sense that very different experiences would result in the same basic (but not a factory hard wired) personality.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would depend greatly on how complex a droid AI is, and whether or not even the most subtle variations in coding that are the roots for a unique personality might remain in place even after a memory wipe. Nature vs. nurture might just have its own equivalent in droids.

For that matter, what if “memory erase” isn’t a “hard reset” but more of an electronic equivalent of permanent amnesia, with the droid retaining all of its acquired skill knowledge, but losing any knowledge of personal experiences that might have contributed to those skills. Considering most droids likely begin their conscious existence with a purpose, skills, and required equipment pre-installed, the droid wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between that and a fresh memory wipe.

Also, it’s possible a droid’s personality might be copied prior to a mission and left in a safe place so that it could be uploaded to a new body in the event of the old one’s destruction. The stumbling block there would be whether or not a droid’s personality is too complex to simply be copied onto a hard drive somewhere, but given the fact that even data storage formats have an aspect of AI built into them (Holistic Data Transfers, essentially virtual droids with super-specific Knowledge skill sets), data storage hardware in the SWU would likely be well up to the task.

Whill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Threepio's memory loss Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
But his new life would be significantly different from his old one and it doesn't make sense that very different experiences would result in the same basic (but not a factory hard wired) personality.

I don't feel Threepio's personality-forming experiences post-RotS would really be that different from before his memory wipe. Of course in the films themselves, Threepio's classic Rebellion-era personality already seems in effect for his very first adventure on Geonosis. Before that he lived on a Tatooine moisture farm for 10 years. We don't know what Threepio's "experiences" were before Anakin built him, but according to lore he was made from components of three junked protocol droids. But if CPU damage works better than the filmic memory wipe for you, then of course that's what it should be in your SWU.

CRMcNeill wrote:
That would depend greatly on how complex a droid AI is, and whether or not even the most subtle variations in coding that are the roots for a unique personality might remain in place even after a memory wipe. Nature vs. nurture might just have its own equivalent in droids.

For that matter, what if “memory erase” isn’t a “hard reset” but more of an electronic equivalent of permanent amnesia, with the droid retaining all of its acquired skill knowledge, but losing any knowledge of personal experiences that might have contributed to those skills. Considering most droids likely begin their conscious existence with a purpose, skills, and required equipment pre-installed, the droid wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between that and a fresh memory wipe.

Also, it’s possible a droid’s personality might be copied prior to a mission and left in a safe place so that it could be uploaded to a new body in the event of the old one’s destruction. The stumbling block there would be whether or not a droid’s personality is too complex to simply be copied onto a hard drive somewhere, but given the fact that even data storage formats have an aspect of AI built into them (Holistic Data Transfers, essentially virtual droids with super-specific Knowledge skill sets), data storage hardware in the SWU would likely be well up to the task.

The only problem I have with that is that no one would actually want to preserve Threepio's personality. The reason he got the memory wipe was because of his personality!

WEG and other EU sources have suggested that all droids of Threepio's model have a tendency to develop personality characteristics similar to Threepio's. I think it is reasonable that there is some degree of "nature" factoring into droid personalities.

But more important than that, I feel that Threepio's particular personality is an inherent characteristic of him that perseveres, regardless of the explanation for it. Threepio is Threepio. QED.

Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Threepio's memory loss Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The only problem I have with that is that no one would actually want to preserve Threepio's personality. The reason he got the memory wipe was because of his personality!

True.

Quote:
WEG and other EU sources have suggested that all droids of Threepio's model have a tendency to develop personality characteristics similar to Threepio's. I think it is reasonable that there is some degree of "nature" factoring into droid personalities.

But if that's the case, then wouldn't it tie into my theory? If the Threepio-ish personality traits can be found to some degree in all -3PO protocol droids, than the personality may just be something owners have come to expect as the cost of owning a -3PO.

Quote:
But more important than that, I feel that Threepio's particular personality is an inherent characteristic of him that perseveres, regardless of the explanation for it. Threepio is Threepio. QED.

Cool

That's kinda what I'm saying. Regardless of the cause, what if the key aspects of Threepio's personality are ingrained in that original programming he gets pre-set to, such that he will almost certainly develop a Threepio-esque persona even after a memory wipe. I mean, if he got programmed by a child Tech/Mech/Force prodigy, certain programming idiosyncrasies would not be surprising.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: