The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Particle / Plasma Beam Cannon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Particle / Plasma Beam Cannon Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Is it something like SWTOR's Vanguard Pulse Cannon/Ion Wave special attack? Area short range attack (cone) that inflicts ion damage.

No; linear electrical attack that tends to track its previous target on subsequent attacks.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility would be to make this the Particle Beam Cannon, which is mentioned in the Star Wars Sourcebook, but never described or statted out. It potentially dovetails with Particle Projection Cannon from Battletech, which have an electrical effect as well...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some additional thoughts. I'm leaning strongly in favor of making this a particle beam weapon, and combining it with a few features of official particle beams. A few basic features from what's been discussed so far:
    -Bulky, requiring a backpack-style power (ala the particle beam weapons from Ghostbusters).

-Retains the "homing" effect I described in the OP.

-Beam can be blocked by a lightsaber, but can't be deflected back at the shooter, as it is too unstable to maintain coherence on impact. This also ties in to the original concept, as the beam will tend to arc toward the lightsaber blade after the initial parry due to the ionized particle effect.

-Relatively short range, but powerful, with bonuses to accuracy/damage for sustained fire.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In combination with the renaming of the Energy Shotguns topic, I've gone ahead and renamed this one to be more in line with the visual imagery that inspired it (rather than the "Arc Blaster" which provided the impetus, but was never described).

I'm still thinking in terms of a rather bulky weapon, with a backpack style power generator (or something belt-mounted for carbine or pistol variants) as opposed to the particle beam weapons from TOR series (which were pretty much just blasters).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: