The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tractor Beams and Fire Control
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tractor Beams and Fire Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Tractor Beams and Fire Control Reply with quote

In connection with my other tractor beam topic, I have a separate question. Suppose a ship is caught in a tractor beam. Assuming it can’t dodge, what would be the appropriate Difficulty for other weapons to target it? Should it just be whatever the difficulty is for the range of the weapon in question, or would being caught in the tractor beam add a bonus to the gunner’s Fire Control due to the tractor beam Fire Control providing accurate positioning data? And if the latter, how much of a bonus would be appropriate?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.

I can see a scenario where a tractor beam is used to HOLD as in imobilize a ship for boarding or for fighters to take it ou.

I would unless any rules, use prone rules for the ship. if is can not dodge then it can not actually defend in anything but hull and maybe shileds, but is a sitting duck with little to no penalty to hit what so ever.

I would simply add MAX fire control to attacker, and let defender use only base shileds and hull for defense. and this would for every attack unless the defender breaks free.

after all why else would ships like corvettes have a tractor beam, if not to "hold" a shil and let others ot their own fighters go in for the kill...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by MAX fire control?

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Beams and Fire Control Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In connection with my other tractor beam topic, I have a separate question. Suppose a ship is caught in a tractor beam. Assuming it can’t dodge, what would be the appropriate Difficulty for other weapons to target it? Should it just be whatever the difficulty is for the range of the weapon in question, or would being caught in the tractor beam add a bonus to the gunner’s Fire Control due to the tractor beam Fire Control providing accurate positioning data? And if the latter, how much of a bonus would be appropriate?

Is this a question of interpreting RAW, or is this asking what a house rule should be? If the latter, wouldn't it make sense to mention what RAW says on the matter and why it might need house ruled?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
What do you mean by MAX fire control?

I mean what ever the attacking craft's fire control is on the weapons used.

If they attack with a blaster canon, ahdb have 3D fire controll, then they get the max on the roll eg 18.

if the craft has 2D then 12 etc. this becuse the other ship simply can not "move" enough to not be counted as so close to stationary that it is.

is like fireing a gun at a papaer target, how much defense does the paper target have, and would not any systems that adds to your gunnery then be used becuse it is time to both aim, choose the right ammo, and even get into the optimal attack position.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Beams and Fire Control Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this a question of interpreting RAW, or is this asking what a house rule should be? If the latter, wouldn't it make sense to mention what RAW says on the matter and why it might need house ruled?

I mentioned it in passing; per the RAW, if something is unable to dodge or otherwise avoid a ranged attack, then the attacker just has to beat whatever the Difficulty is for that range. So, if a tractor beam is holding a ship immobile at 15 SUs away, that would be just inside Short Range for a Turbolaser, and therefore an Easy Difficulty target.

However, anything above and beyond that (such as a bonus due to the turbolaser using networked fire control data from the tractor beam) would almost certainly end up being a house rule.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I mean what ever the attacking craft's fire control is on the weapons used.

If they attack with a blaster canon, ahdb have 3D fire controll, then they get the max on the roll eg 18.

That’s too much. I’m partial to a bonus of some kind, but giving the gunner automatic straight-6’s on their Fire Control dice is just not how things are done. At the very least, I’d go with an inversion of the 2E die cap rule, say, with all results below 3 counting as 3’s.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, i've ran it, if you are caught in a tractor beam, you can be AUTO-hit by other weapons, assuming they beat the range difficulty...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
In the past, i've ran it, if you are caught in a tractor beam, you can be AUTO-hit by other weapons, assuming they beat the range difficulty...

Isn't that basically just the RAW?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the simplest way to do it - as well as the way most consistent with the RAW - would be to simply treat the two weapons as Coordinated, then assign whatever bonus is appropriate to your Coordination system of preference.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Beams and Fire Control Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In connection with my other tractor beam topic, I have a separate question. Suppose a ship is caught in a tractor beam. Assuming it can’t dodge, what would be the appropriate Difficulty for other weapons to target it? Should it just be whatever the difficulty is for the range of the weapon in question
Yes. With no chance to dodge. If one wanted to give more of a bonus, I'd change the scale difficulty to hit. So a capital ship targeting a YT-1300 that it has caught in its tractor beam only needs to roll against the range difficulty without any scale modifier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: