The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Automatization and AI on ships and vehicles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Automatization and AI on ships and vehicles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Automatization and AI on ships and vehicles Reply with quote

I have been wondering to what degree star wars technology covers miniatuization, atomatization and AI.

Pop up turrets controlled from a central combat central like on modern war ships, one operator can man several systems, comms and gunery with a "press of a button"

What we do see is a 17th century gun deck with large loading crews much in old Nelson's navy and to some extent with turret weapons much like on a ww2 battleship.

I do however wonder about things like the phalanx systems, and non crew operated "lighter" guns like the 40 mm carried by many modern frigates.

Seeing some ships in legends and canon, maybe the covus in aprticular, I can see a large degree of autmated weapon and other systems reducing the need for crew to even below skeleton without any significant operational reduction
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I found the men-o-war gun decks in the prequels jarring. It seemed incredibly stupid to have open sides on a combat space ship and treating a blaster/ray gun like it was a breech loading cannon from the American Civil War was a huge change visually from the sleek Star Destroyers of the original trilogy or the turrets on the Millenium Falcon that seem like some type of manually operated, WWII 20mm anti-aircraft gun.

Heavy automation (other than actual, individual droids) isn't really part of the Star Wars look or culture. One in game rationale is that one result of the Clone Wars is prejudice against and resistance to droid combatants. Presumably this dislike and distrust would apply to any sort of combat AI.

Remember, this is a game where starfighter pilots are the romantic war heroes like the WWI flying ace of old. Replacing them with mechanized robotic drone weapons systems gives a very different tone and feel to the setting.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Yeah, I found the men-o-war gun decks in the prequels jarring. It seemed incredibly stupid to have open sides on a combat space ship and treating a blaster/ray gun like it was a breech loading cannon from the American Civil War was a huge change visually from the sleek Star Destroyers of the original trilogy or the turrets on the Millenium Falcon that seem like some type of manually operated, WWII 20mm anti-aircraft gun.

Heavy automation (other than actual, individual droids) isn't really part of the Star Wars look or culture. One in game rationale is that one result of the Clone Wars is prejudice against and resistance to droid combatants. Presumably this dislike and distrust would apply to any sort of combat AI.

Remember, this is a game where starfighter pilots are the romantic war heroes like the WWI flying ace of old. Replacing them with mechanized robotic drone weapons systems gives a very different tone and feel to the setting.

yeah, I found the same to be much of the case.

I would not go so far as to replace the starfither pilots, but like you say the man o war type gun deacks done' scream very hi tech to me.

I was more thinking when a starfighter even in star wars can be packed with guns, all controlled from the cocpit, like pop up turrets and retractable cannons, both exixting.
Now I can see something like the falcon, or even something as big as the blockade runner actually having turbolaser turrets with no crew, all controlled form the brid's combat center, here a few operators man the controls of the ship's sytems.

now when we think of the clone wars era vulture droids, they were said to process data at lightspeed, the human neural signal speed is about 250kmh in comparison.

So how can we explain the overly small crews on a mytiade of ships? is this automatization and ai and we did see ai in the falcon in solo.

or is this as simple as even a star destroyer can be flown, not effectively oterated, but flown, by as little as 1-6 people, as it is in legends tales of very few people , squads of a mere handful of people stealing and flying ISDs

I was thinking maybe try to actually do a write up of a corvette size ship with high automatization, and the like, then see how it compares
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: