The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Where do you game mostly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Where do you game mostly?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Where do you game mostly? Reply with quote

Do you game mostly at home (whether yours or someone else's), or at a FLGS?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you game mostly? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

When I run games I prefer to be at my home, but I sometimes will run them at a player's home. I like being in control of the environment, the kids, distractions, etc. I like using music in the game. I don't like FLGS gaming because they can be so noisy if there are other groups playing games there. I have almost no control over the environment. And unless you have an employee in your game with the store keys, you are limited by their hours of operation so no option to go late.

My current local comic shop/FLGS is really huge (they moved into an old grocery store). They have lots of tables and multiple Magic the Gathering games, continuously during business hours. They also have a TV on the game tables side of the store with Avengers movies playing on repeat. No way I can run a game in those conditions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you game mostly? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

When I run games I prefer to be at my home, but I sometimes will run them at a player's home. I like being in control of the environment, the kids, distractions, etc. I like using music in the game. I don't like FLGS gaming because they can be so noisy if there are other groups playing games there. I have almost no control over the environment. And unless you have an employee in your game with the store keys, you are limited by their hours of operation so no option to go late.

My current local comic shop/FLGS is really huge (they moved into an old grocery store). They have lots of tables and multiple Magic the Gathering games, continuously during business hours. They also have a TV on the game tables side of the store with Avengers movies playing on repeat. No way I can run a game in those conditions.

Yeah, since I got back into gaming with the Pathfinder Society last December, the only gaming I do is at FLGSs. Yeah, sometimes the noise of other groups in the same room is annoying, but you eventually learn to filter out the noise...or you just shout as loud as you need to make yourself heard, whichever comes first.

Still, dealing with the noise is preferable to not gaming at all since gaming at home isn't an option (no one I know personally is interested in RPG gaming).
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home. Or at a friend's job after hours. We hold a weekly game night there.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days, I run my games at my library.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

How does that work, with the noise limitations, in some libraries?
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

In some places, libraries have started to change in the last decade or so, and started expanding their purpose form simply being a quiet place with tons of books. Computer & printers for use, boardgames & console games to borrow, areas for playing games or just gatherings, space for kids to hang out etc.

My guess they play at a library that in some sense is less of a single-purpose and old school, and likely have some are that have explicitly less of a noise limit.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I have worked in public libraries for the last 12 years; the noise restrictions these days are largely "Are you bothering others" (and, as a librarian, I count myself as one of the others who can be bothered). Academic and private libraries may be different, but public libraries are community spaces, not tombs for books.

In my case, since it's my library, I reserve one of the rooms for a few hours every week. We sometimes have to shush some of our more boisterous players, but we have a closed door and a folding wall between us and the library. Since we're an early voting location, we're going to switch to a small conference room for a few weeks, but that is likewise a relatively noise-reducing place, compared to the rest of the library.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.. That must be good.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I'm from, libraries maintain some level of peace and quiet, but they do have some enclosed rooms that aren't open to the rest of the library. I remember a room in my high school library that Gargamel the librarian basically let me have most days for my study hall period because of how frequently he had to yell at me to shut up out in the main library areas. I'd have friends in and we would play games or talk about comic books and Star Trek. In my university's library there was a room where I would sometimes hide when I was pledging my fraternity, and I remember making out with a girl there without interruption. In my public library down the street, quiet conversation is ok but they will still shush you if you get too loud.

MrNexx wrote:
I have worked in public libraries for the last 12 years; the noise restrictions these days are largely "Are you bothering others"

I don't care for your library's policy. As a patron I wouldn't like to depend on the librarian's judgement of how bothered I am by someone else. Maybe your tolerance for bothering is greater than mine. I wouldn't like to have to complain to the staff that someone else is bothering me for them to take action. It makes more sense to me that there is just some standard maintained across the board.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

MrNexx wrote:
I have worked in public libraries for the last 12 years; the noise restrictions these days are largely "Are you bothering others"

I don't care for your library's policy. As a patron I wouldn't like to depend on the librarian's judgement of how bothered I am by someone else. Maybe your tolerance for bothering is greater than mine. I wouldn't like to have to complain to the staff that someone else is bothering me for them to take action. It makes more sense to me that there is just some standard maintained across the board.

It's not just one library; this is three different systems, with frequent visits to a fourth.

Bear in mind, it does not require a complaint from a patron for the librarian to intervene, but it can also be very hard to police noise levels and annoyance. We've got plenty of folk who come in during posted kids program times and complain that the kids are being too loud. Or the lady last week who complained that a man's quiet phone conversation on an adjacent computer was bothering her, when I could barely hear him from 5 feet away.

Some people expect libraries to be tomb-like in their silence. Academic libraries (i.e. universities) still frequently are. But public libraries are public spaces; there's a need for respect for other people there, but the insistence that they be movie-silent simply isn't realistic.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't advocating the insistence in tomb or movie silence in libraries. Each library should be free to set whatever decibel standards they want to enforce, but they should be consistent regardless which staff are working. If the chosen standards are consistently enforced and do not vary based on each staff member's individual judgement of bother, then patrons have no right to complain if it happens to not match their desired standards.

I just don't want, "Karen's working today so don't you dare make a peep" and "Bob's working and he doesn't care what you do as long as you don't scream" in the same library. It should be, "this library is not as quiet as that one" but each one is consistent to whatever their standard is. Then I choose which one I am not bothered by. That's all.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At home by preference, but I've just starting playing another game at my FLGS. It can be noisy, but you get use to it, though I wouldn't like to play in anything but a 'casual' game.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and for online games, I play on Roll20. Definitely prefer playing with everyone in the same room, but playing online isn't half bad, especially if you don't feel you have enough games going. Very Happy
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dph wrote:
At home by preference, but I've just starting playing another game at my FLGS. It can be noisy, but you get use to it, though I wouldn't like to play in anything but a 'casual' game.

Yeah, that's the one thing that can get annoying if you play at a gaming store: there will likely be other games going on at the same time and the noise can get really loud at times, which necessitates me and my friends having to shout over the other gamers to make our selves heard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: