The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps that's why there is no more ewoks!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Perhaps that's why there is no more ewoks!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Ha. If the Ewok population was decimated by an epic cataclysm, then the moon sure recovered quickly, because 30-some years later it seems like a lovely place to visit.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible twist on the "Alliance Fleet uses shields and tractor beams to defend Endor from the Death Star debris" could be that, while some of the larger pieces were too big to be completely deflected, they could have had their descent at least slowed by tractor beams such that the impact on Endor wouldn't be catastrophic. This might include deliberately guiding wreckage into bodies of water in order to further cushion the impact.

Not that I don't think the whole thing is silly, but...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
had their descent at least slowed by tractor beams such that the impact on Endor wouldn't be catastrophic. This might include deliberately guiding wreckage into bodies of water in order to further cushion the impact.

That's what I would think.

Also Endor's just one moon, not even a planet. That piece could have been sucked into the gravity of a larger (possibly uninhabited) body in the system.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Did a fleet of ships on both planets tractor the debris into a controlled decent?

CRMcNeill wrote:
A possible twist on the "Alliance Fleet uses shields and tractor beams to defend Endor from the Death Star debris" could be that, while some of the larger pieces were too big to be completely deflected, they could have had their descent at least slowed by tractor beams such that the impact on Endor wouldn't be catastrophic. This might include deliberately guiding wreckage into bodies of water in order to further cushion the impact.

In light of the trailers, that is exactly my interpretation of what the canon info shard by Darklighter79 meant. The "Endor Holocaust" referenced by my Ulton joke was before Darklighter shared that, but then was still replied to TauntaunScout and garhkal after Darklighter's post. I think the Battle of Jakku was detailed in the final Aftermath book, so maybe someone who read that book can tell us how all that large wreckage crashed with a cataclysm.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
That piece could have been sucked into the gravity of a larger (possibly uninhabited) body in the system.

True. I believe that was mentioned earlier in this thread or another thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Jakku's junkyard. We do not see huge cannons/craters there. All the crashed ships are still visible on surface (partially buried due do sandstorms)
So maybe they did not hit the surface hard but rather crash landed on the failing repulsor drives? Just like it is presented here:

Free falling*

*Considered cannon?

With DSII, well maybe the combined power of all fleet's tractor beams did manage to slow down the huge debris and direct it to the ocean, so the damage would be minimal?
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone rewatching the films before TRoS?

Since TRoS has been billed as a fitting conclusion to the entire series, we are watching them all. I thought Rogue One and Solo might not be required viewing, but Rogue One is so awesome, and in the TRoS trailer Lando seems to be wearing a yellow shirt like the one he had in Solo, so maybe their is some connection of Solo to TRoS. So I thought, let's just watch them all.

So far we have watched Episodes I and II. TPM has a brilliantly constructed final battle/climax. I love it. AotC reminds me that Lucas really is a genius at directing action scenes. My mind sort of wanders during the cringeworthy love story, but at least it is the one movie where Padme is hot. Unlike TPM, the climax of AotC was sadly chopped up and diminished.*

Anyway, if you are going to get through them all before TRoS and haven't started, at this point you'll have to watch 1 or 2 a week to get them all in. This is really the first time I have ever wanted to watch TLJ again since watching it after first getting it on Blu-ray.

*Edit: An obscure AotC character gets stats and a detailed background here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to watch them all, though I have yet to purchase Rogue One, Solo and The Last Jedi. I watched Rogue One and Solo a few weeks ago, so I may just focus on the Skywalker Saga films. Last I looked, The Last Jedi was still on Netflix, so maybe I can dodge purchasing it until it's cheaper around Christmas.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only movies I rewatch are the OT and Rogue One. I have dabbled in watching parts of the sequels and Solo but never finish them, on Netflix, which eventually stops streaming them. I don't plan on owning them.

I am having issues watching the OT though. My DVD's from like 2005ish that didn't include the CGI scenes, don't seem to play nicely with my new TV and/or disc player. It squishes the image down, unless I put it on "cinema zoom" or some such setting, in which case it cuts off the subtitles. These DVD's seem to hate the subtitles too for some reason, and require extensive fiddling about with settings. Left to their own devices, they won't put up the subtitles for Greedo and Jabba that normally appear in theaters.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I am having issues watching the OT though. My DVD's from like 2005ish that didn't include the CGI scenes, don't seem to play nicely with my new TV and/or disc player. It squishes the image down, unless I put it on "cinema zoom" or some such setting, in which case it cuts off the subtitles. These DVD's seem to hate the subtitles too for some reason, and require extensive fiddling about with settings. Left to their own devices, they won't put up the subtitles for Greedo and Jabba that normally appear in theaters.

I've run into similar problems with older DVDs. It's quite annoying. And it irks me that at some point in my 24th century Star Trek viewing (DS9 and Voyager), the Netflix episodes started appearing stretched on my TV, and when I fiddle with the settings I can't get it to look normal. These aren't even DVDs but obviously still weren't formatted for modern TVs. They should reformat those.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rambo 3PO" is no longer a matter of spoilerisms. My kids got an activity pack at AC Moore the other day and he appears in it, in sticker form. Not sure if anyone else already reported on him appearing in an official source yet.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
I intend to watch them all, though I have yet to purchase Rogue One, Solo and The Last Jedi. I watched Rogue One and Solo a few weeks ago, so I may just focus on the Skywalker Saga films. Last I looked, The Last Jedi was still on Netflix, so maybe I can dodge purchasing it until it's cheaper around Christmas.

Yes, TLJ is on Netflix now, and I believe it will be there through Christmas. TLJ starts on Disney+ Dec 26th (after TRoS is released in theaters).

Quote:
Anyone rewatching the films before TRoS?

Since TRoS has been billed as a fitting conclusion to the entire series, we are watching them all.

To catch up here, we have watched RotS, Solo and RO. RotS has great action and beautiful music, despite having more cringey love story and a poor performance from Hayden Christensen. I really enjoy seeing the rise of the Empire. Solo is a very entertaining adventure, a lot of fun. Rogue One is the most awesome movie ever made where all the main protagonists die in the end. It's a blast.

RotS includes the cryptic Palpatine line "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved..." It's not explicit in the film who is referring to, but it was later revealed in the film that Qui-Gon has returned as a Force Ghost. That could be who Palpatine was referring to, but that begs the question, How would Palpatine even know about that? I think we may get an answer to who the "one" is in TRoS as part of the explanation for how Palpatine cheated death himself.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: TRoS Reply with quote

Abrams said the film was just completed yesterday. It should be 141-ish minutes pending exactly how long is end credits ends up being.

JJ shared this 30 second clip on Good Morning America. He said that this is early in the film.

https://youtu.be/BCPiBWrIaSI

It would seem that FO rocket troopers are a new thing.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: TRoS Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Abrams said the film was just completed yesterday. It should be 141-ish minutes pending exactly how long is end credits ends up being.

JJ shared this 30 second clip on Good Morning America. He said that this is early in the film.

https://youtu.be/BCPiBWrIaSI

It would seem that FO rocket troopers are a new thing.

Kinda jarring to anyone who's watched Rebels since we know rocket troopers were a thing in "Ghosts of Geonosis," which happened during 2 BBY. Not to mention that similar jumptroopers were also deployed even earlier during the Clone Wars. You'd think that with C-3PO being active back during those events, he'd at least know of their existence. Then again, he might just be reacting to the First Order in particular actually having jumptroopers, as opposed to seeing the concept of jumptroopers for the first time.

Finn's reaction makes less sense since, y'know, he actually used to be a stormtrooper, so you'd think he'd know about the existence of the other types of stormtrooper units. But I guess Rule of Funny was the overriding priority here.

And apparently FO rocket troopers appeared in the Poe Dameron comic book, so assuming Poe saw them before during the course of that story, his blase reaction in this clip makes sense. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: