The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adventurer's Journal Presents...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Adventurer's Journal Presents... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odea Ionstrike wrote:
These are great. Is there a way to download the single page version without having a Facebook account?

To my knowledge, single-page versions were only made for the first two issues. I just looked in the Facebook group files and I couldn't find any single-page versions for the last three publications. If they are out there, someone please point out to me where to download them and I'll be happy to put them in the Library.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It's late for fake Star Wars day, but early for real Star Wars day.

Please let us know what you think!

There have been over 100 downloads of this from the Pit's Library so far. Does anyone have any thought or responses to this?

Do any contributors want to chime in with some commentary?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that we are still going. I didn't have much to contribute to the force issue, but that's mostly because I have had one force user in the whole time I ran the game. Most of the players I had liked a more gritty sort of "cyberpunk in space" type of game. I need to go see what we have so far and try to add something in, like a random seedy pawn shop type thing generator.

Maybe you could edit the first post in this thread and add all of the AJ links in chronological order in the body of the first post. I have a thread on here with all of my made up stuff and I edited the initial post as a sort of table of contents as I added stuff.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
I really like that we are still going. I didn't have much to contribute to the force issue, but that's mostly because I have had one force user in the whole time I ran the game. Most of the players I had liked a more gritty sort of "cyberpunk in space" type of game. I need to go see what we have so far and try to add something in, like a random seedy pawn shop type thing generator.

Cool.

bobenhotep wrote:
Maybe you could edit the first post in this thread and add all of the AJ links in chronological order in the body of the first post.

Done. Thanks for the good suggestion. I also stickied this thread to the top of the Tools forum.

bobenhotep wrote:
I have a thread on here with all of my made up stuff and I edited the initial post as a sort of table of contents as I added stuff.

Thank you for that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not not sure what 'commentary' I can offer but my name is Damien and I'm responsible for Vagabond, The Adventure Journal's first comic.

I'm a professional Graphic Artist and illustrator with a history in video games and general graphic design as well as producing independent comics in my home country of Australia in the 90's. I'm a regular and active roleplayer and Star Wars D6 2ER&E is probably my favorite RPG (though I play many others).
I'm actually working on a sci-fi adaptation of the D6 ruleset to be used independently or with a regular Star Wars game. I'm also (not surprisingly) a big Star Wars nerd with a not unimpressive toy collection!

I've been attached to the Journal reboot with the intent of helping out with some artrwork, when editor Brain asked if anyone would like to put a comic together- something I've been longing to get back into- so I said yes!

Doing a comic for the Journal does have its challenges. The delay between releases, the short page count and the half size (standard comic) pages meant writing a sweeping epic was probably out of the question... and who needs that pressure anyways from the Star Wars fanbase! But, the Star wars universe is huge and I had free reign to write (and illustrate) what I wanted.

The idea for Vagabond; a kind of 'Stranger in a Strange Land' tale was born of a Star Wars RPG character concept I had; A stowaway Ewok who finds himself in the spacelanes who must adapt to the adventuring life.
The final idea was to use a series of short, punchy 'tales' that string together his experience, taking a bit of a tour of the galaxy at the same time. The choice of an Ewok as the main protagonist is of course fraught, as they polarise the community, but to me, Ewoks have always been these fearsome, man eating barbarians, with curious natures and highly adaptable skills... and that's how I'm hoping to prortray our hero.

The story will attempt to tie into the subject matter of the journal (though I wasn't able to do this with the first issue), will most likely not step too heavily on any canon and almost certainly not feature any prequel material. I hope to drop a nod to the game itself as much as possible (as that's what its about) and while I'm not aiming for humor, I am going for a time not dissimilar tone to mainstream Star Wars.

Lastly I would just like to talk about my process. I sketched out the story with pen, paper and an ipad with Procreate. The final art was done digitally; Photoshop on an imac with a gen 1 Cintiq. The work was about a month of evenings and weekends (I was a bit rusty!)
After the first issue, I will probably be using a simpler style, the current techniques are great for spot illustrations but made putting together a six page comic very hard work!

You can see my artwork at www.damienholder.com
You can see my Instagram at Damograms
You can read about the last Star Wars campaign I ran in the link in my signature below.
I'm also in the process of releasing a series of paper miniatures called Paper Golems (setting up websites/Patreon now) they are currently going to be Fantasy in theme but I will hopefully start produing Sci-Fi figs in the future.

Hope you enjoyed the Journal and the comic and happy to answer questions about ether!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in, Damien! That's great commentary and BTS info. I liked the comic. It's quite an impressive feat to produce that much art for the issue.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just getting a chance to check out the latest issue, but so far so good.

And thank you, Damien, for the insight / behind-the-scenes bit there. Hope to see more of your work in future issues. Your original artwork / comic has lent much more of a "Star Wars" feel to this issue in particular, as a number of the art direction choices for the visuals in previous issues leaned more toward a hard sci-fi look than a SW space opera style, et cetera.

In any case, kudos all around!
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: The new Adventure's Journal Reply with quote

NEW --> Fantastic Technology One: Professional Gadgets & Personal Gear
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The new Adventure's Journal Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thought or responses to this?

Do any contributors want to chime in with some commentary?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could, but I barely participated in this one apart from submitting an idea that was already basically fully formed here on the Pit. Work has been keeping me extremely busy.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good. The non-profit has kept me busy, but look forward to writing more in upcoming issues.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventurer's Journal Presents... Reply with quote

The file naming conventions were all over the place for the AJ issues, so I uniformly renamed the files and re-uploaded them. The URLs were corrected in the OP of this thread (quoted above), and in the Library. FYI just in case you had a direct link saved - The old links don't work anymore and you will have to update them.

If anyone has any feedback on any of the issues, please share it. Your feedback can help improve it. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: AJ bonus issue Reply with quote

Just a little bonus issue. Merry Christmas.

Adventurer's Journal 122019 Christmas Special
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: AJ 5 Reply with quote

I just love that cover showing that Boba Fett is a clone of a prequel character.

NEW --> Adventurer's Journal 050420 Issue Five
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: AJ 5 Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I just love that cover showing that Boba Fett is a clone of a prequel character.

NEW --> Adventurer's Journal 050420 Issue Five

I've only taken a quick look, but this really looks good. Well laid out and sharp design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: