The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disney 4K Star Wars Classic Trilogy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Disney 4K Star Wars Classic Trilogy Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Disney 4K Star Wars Classic Trilogy Reply with quote

Han vs. Greedo, the Rematch!

History of Han vs. Greedo
1977 - The original Star Wars
1997 - ANH Special Edition
2004 - ANH DVD
2011 - ANH Blu-ray
2019 - ANH 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH19gKo7W7w

I don't know why this is so funny. I can't stop laughing. And rewatching. And reading reaction comments. And laughing.

Ma klounkee!

Laughing
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. 22 years and they are still trying to make it right. Although the solution is right there.

What are they afraid of? The mythical lobby that was supposedly behind the change of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Hero Turtles? It won’t work in SW.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, this was Lucas' final bit of tinkering before the big sale, and was done to try to convert the films to a 4K scan in anticipation of the 3D release that never came.

I wish they'd just release a damn archival version of the pre-SE stuff.
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it seem like the shots are closer together in time, as if they want to make them almost simultaneous, or is it just me?
If I'm not mistaken Lucas retained the rights to the pre-SE originals so we won't see them released in the near future... I just hope he doesn't go Terry-Pratchet style and orders the archival versions destroyed upon his death....
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Ma klounkee! Reply with quote

Potroclo wrote:
If I'm not mistaken Lucas retained the rights to the pre-SE originals so we won't see them released in the near future... I just hope he doesn't go Terry-Pratchet style and orders the archival versions destroyed upon his death....

I've only been able to find rumors from unsubstantiated sources to this claim, so I am skeptical. What has been publicly stated from official sources is everything that was owned by Lucasfilm was sold to Disney.

Quote:
1977 - The original Star Wars
1997 - ANH Special Edition
2004 - ANH DVD
2011 - ANH Blu-ray
2019 - ANH 4K
Potroclo wrote:
Does it seem like the shots are closer together in time, as if they want to make them almost simultaneous, or is it just me?

Have you seen every version? The shots have been moved closer together for a while. Slightly closer than last time? I haven't analyzed that and don't care to.

Darklighter79 wrote:
Wow. 22 years and they are still trying to make it right. Although the solution is right there.

What are they afraid of? The mythical lobby that was supposedly behind the change of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Hero Turtles? It won’t work in SW.
Solo4114 wrote:
Apparently, this was Lucas' final bit of tinkering before the big sale, and was done to try to convert the films to a 4K scan in anticipation of the 3D release that never came.

I don't think Disney is afraid of anything. Lucas is the one that wanted to soften Han's scoundrelness. "Ma klounkee" is Huttese for something to the effect of "This will be the end of you." Lucas was clearly strengthening his position that Han was only shooting in self-defense. Of course that only would have worked with subtitles, so this scene is probably just as-is when it was abandoned in the Disney sale. There's no point in adding "ma klounkee" without subtitles...

Solo4114 wrote:
I wish they'd just release a damn archival version of the pre-SE stuff.

I think they will. "Ma klounkee" is just plain laughable. What it did was give Disney+ more press, and increase demand for the archival version more than ever by angering up the blood of all those who hate all the tinkering of the Greedo scene. If this is the only version on Disney+, what better way to sell an original version of ANH that is not available on Disney+?

I've seen the original version of the film well over 100 times, but I really want the original to be release to make the fans happy. I'm just glad I have the pre-ma-klounkee versions!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2027 Version: "I've been waiting for this for a long time." *Greedo shoots himself in the head.*
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
2027 Version: "I've been waiting for this for a long time." *Greedo shoots himself in the head.*

That would actually be an improvement over everything except the original.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the point where I would gladly pay like $200 just to get the archival version of the OT. Package it with whatever the latest edit-fest from Lucas or whoever else is. But just gimme my archival originals and take my money.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an important piece of new audio uncovered from this historic event. It would appear "McKlunky" is the third shooter. Detective McKlunky was well known for flaunting regulations and bucking against authority. Maybe this time he went too far and he'll lose his badge.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
I'm at the point where I would gladly pay like $200 just to get the archival version of the OT. Package it with whatever the latest edit-fest from Lucas or whoever else is. But just gimme my archival originals and take my money.

I think it's coming.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I think this is an important piece of new audio uncovered from this historic event. It would appear "McKlunky" is the third shooter. Detective McKlunky was well known for flaunting regulations and bucking against authority. Maybe this time he went too far and he'll lose his badge.

lol
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: A New Hope (Disney+ edition) Reply with quote

Today I saw something that said that the lightsaber effects of Vader vs Obi-Wan were improved in the Disney+ 4K version of ANH, so I realized that ma klounkee wasn't the only change. In my family's chronological re-viewing of the all of the films in preparation of TRoS, we had left off with RO so tonight we watched ANH on D+ and I am so glad we did!

On my TV the whole film looked crisper. This seemed to have the effect of unifying the practical and CG elements of the visuals. All the blaster bolts (from hand or spaceship weapons) are more vibrant. The lightsaber effects of Vader vs. Obi-Wan have finally been nearly perfected. Luke's saber is better on the Falcon and and in Ben's hut, but unfortunately still does not match how that saber appeared in TESB. The Battle of Yavin is better looking than it ever was!

Of course my anti-purist laundry list of corrections still needed is still mostly unaltered. I had been willing to let go of that back when I thought there wouldn't be any more changes to this film, but now this. Since all revisions to the Greedo scene have been silly, ma klounkee itself is an improvement over the last revision (2011 blu-ray) out of the shear humor factor. Since the 2011 blu-ray version was the overall best version of the film, it has just been usurped by the new D+ 4K streamed version.

We'll watch the new D+ versions of Episodes V - VII when we can, and I'll reply with what I think about them here. Will Vader's saber still sometimes be pink in TESB? We'll see.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: The Empire Strikes Back (Disney+ edition) Reply with quote

After The Mandalorian Episode 4, we watched TESB on Disney+. On my TV it is amazing looking. So many effects issues have been completely fixed. It's absolutely gorgeous. And I noticed that had Lucas continued his HD philosophy of not upgrading the holograms, which means the holograms are low-res imagery. In this very hi-def version fo the film, Vader's hologram in General Veers' AT-AT is downright blurry, so much though that it could have used a little sharpening.

The movie has never looked better. I'm looking forward to seeing RotJ. Has anyone else watched a classic trilogy film on Disney+ yet? Do it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Empire Strikes Back (Disney+ edition) Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
After The Mandalorian Episode 4, we watched TESB on Disney+. On my TV it is amazing looking. So many effects issues have been completely fixed. It's absolutely gorgeous. And I noticed that had Lucas continued his HD philosophy of not upgrading the holograms, which means the holograms are low-res imagery. In this very hi-def version fo the film, Vader's hologram in General Veers' AT-AT is downright blurry, so much though that it could have used a little sharpening.

The movie has never looked better. I'm looking forward to seeing RotJ. Has anyone else watched a classic trilogy film on Disney+ yet? Do it!

Yes I have. I think ESB is the only film that I like the changes overall. I could do without some of the Bespin stuff but only for slight nostalgia reasons, it doesn't hurt the film.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Empire Strikes Back (Disney+ edition) Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:

Yes I have. I think ESB is the only film that I like the changes overall. I could do without some of the Bespin stuff but only for slight nostalgia reasons, it doesn't hurt the film.

The changes you refer to are not unique for the Disney+ versions. TESB is the least altered overall, and virtually all the changes and additions were added in 1997. What has happened since then is just a fulfillment of the original intention of the original special effects. Long gone are the see-through cockpits and the squares around the TIE Fighters. This version of TESB is absolutely beautiful on my TV.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Plaster & Plywood (and D+ RotJ) Reply with quote

We watched RotJ on D+ this past weekend. It was the least improved from the blu-ray version, so not as many new "wows", but the film has still never looked better, from what I have seen.

TauntaunScout wrote:
Maybe it's the newer high definition tv's. But I suddenly find myself able to see through a lot of the SW movie magic and the old metal and plastic sets are now clearly wood and plaster and stuff.

Jabba's big metallic door for example, I can clearly see tool marks that spread plaster around on it.

The Endor bunker, I am able to see obvious wood grain where sets were simply painted grey.

Anyone else noticing this stuff?

Yes, but maybe not the detail you are. You bring up an important point. My TV is 10 years old. Even though the 4K CT looks better on my TV than the blu-rays do, it is true that I am still not seeing the full definition without a newer hi-def TV. When I see those in the stores, I think movies look like news broadcasts and it does take away the movie magic. My family is currently in the market for a second TV, and I told my wife that I do not want a 4K TV for this reason. She said that may be all that there is now. I am worried about this pulling away the curtain to show the man operating the wizard too much.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: