The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Mandalorian [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the carbonite freezing.

I too am of the opinion that the Bespin chamber was industrial, hence it needed to be tested.

If it wasn't at least a somewhat reasonable procedure, what would even make vader consider it? Freezing someone?

I look it along the lines of using a sedative. But if you were on a farm you might only have access to livestock sedatives. "This might kill him."
"So let's test it."

Another point for it being a more common occurrence in the galaxy is when Leia frees him from the carbonite. She tells him that it's hibernation sickness.
Like its a thing that is known to happen. Something with its own name.

She doesn't say "You have a reaction to being frozen in carbonite for a long time." It's used as a specific a name that she uses and it's enough for him to understand it. Maybe a hold over to suspended animation travel before hyperdrives were a thing...

As for the Mandalorian show.

I'm pretty pleased so far. My gaming group is very impressed. It's reassuring to see how much faith it keeps with the EU concept of mandalorians...at least so far.

The music is great...it gives it the feel of an old-time Western.
Between the music and the aesthetics and plotline. That and the samurai movie influences...I think George Lucas would approve.

Keep 'em coming please. Smile
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3PO's reaction to it can be taken both ways, too. "Oh I see, they've encased him in carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survives the freezing process, that is." Not sure if that means it's new or just unexpected.

And while Vader may have wanted to freeze Luke, he didn't actually choose to go to Bespin. Boba followed Han there. Han chose that site.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-hyperspace would be thousands of years ago, but I never even suggested that no one had ever been frozen in carbonite in more recent years. Leia's line about Han having hibernation sickness means that people have been frozen in carbonite before, and very probably have survived (once Han popped out of it alive, Leia didn't seem worried that he would die from this sickness).

(1) I do not get the impression from The Mandalorian that Mando's use of the technology is unique to him, or even that he is one of the few who use it. I get the impression that the show is suggesting it is commonplace for bounty hunters (of at least those certain caliber) to freeze criminals that are wanted alive. From TESB and RotJ, I do not see carbonite freezing people as being common, even though it obviously has happened before.
(2) Even with carbonite tech especially designed to freeze living beings, I do not see it being so miniaturizable to fit on that ship. It happened literally right in front of Mando, when Han had been lowered down into a pit in a big chamber.

I'm not trying to bash the show over this, guys. It is such a minor point.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
The music is great...it gives it the feel of an old-time Western.
Between the music and the aesthetics and plotline. That and the samurai movie influences...I think George Lucas would approve.

Keep 'em coming please.

I agree.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Only thing I can think is, the fobs scan based on a DNA sample? Or scan for a life form that matches the height, weight, etc.

That's a good point, now I see it being more plausible.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas on the set of The Mandalorian...

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I'm not trying to bash the show over this, guys. It is such a minor point.

I know. Your initial reaction was the same one I had. I was just hunting for ways to make it more palatable, and that's what I came up with. Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/21/the-mandalorian-episode-release-date-schedule

Quote:
For those keeping track, here's the full Mandalorian release schedule for all eight Season 1 episodes:

Episode 1 - Tuesday, November 12
Episode 2 - Friday, November 15
Episode 3 - Friday, November 22
Episode 4 - Friday, November 29
Episode 5 - Friday, December 6
Episode 6 - Friday, December 13
Episode 7 - Wednesday, December 18
Episode 8 - Friday, December 27

https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-disney-plus-release-time-changes-why/

Unfortunately, D+ is not going to have any consistent time of day that the episodes drop.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kinda hoping that the early-on comment about Mandalorians never removing their helmets was an example of a commonly held erroneous belief among some of the more gullible members of the galaxy...

Is it looking to be an actual thing?
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: The Mandalorian - SPOILER ALERT Reply with quote

Quote:
Episode 1 - Tuesday, November 12
Episode 2 - Friday, November 15
Episode 3 - Friday, November 22
Episode 4 - Friday, November 29
Episode 5 - Friday, December 6
Episode 6 - Friday, December 13
Episode 7 - Wednesday, December 18
Episode 8 - Friday, December 27

Third episode into the series, it really doesn't make sense for anyone who hasn't see the series to still be reading this thread, if they care about spoilers. So let's try to keep "spoiler" discussion in this one thread, like the single thread we have for new films. Elsewhere on the forum, if something from this show comes up you can use the "white font" spoiler tagging discussing this show for a while. If you haven't seen the latest episode yet, just avoid this thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the carbonite freezing issue, I am currently watching the Clone Wars animated series, and am on season 3, episode 18, The Citadel. Obi Wan, Anakin, and his padawan Asoka, along with a handful of clone troopers, were frozen in carbonite and transported inside the facility by R2 and some reprogrammed battle droids, so the technology has been around for quite some time. It's the same size as the facility on Bespin, or maybe even bigger, so no record of a chamber that could fit aboard a starship the size of the Mandalorian's.

I'm liking the show so far. Has a good vibe, and a very RPG feel about the plot line.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
I was kinda hoping that the early-on comment about Mandalorians never removing their helmets was an example of a commonly held erroneous belief among some of the more gullible members of the galaxy...

Is it looking to be an actual thing?

Yeah. Do they sleep in it? How do they eat? Does the armor have a cleaning system that removes bodily waste, washes your skin, and airs it out will you wear it? I'm down with an armor-wearing culture, but always wearing the armor? That is a bit of a strain on my disbelief suspension.

Jamfke wrote:
I'm liking the show so far. Has a good vibe, and a very RPG feel about the plot line.

Yeah, I really like the direction the show went in the third episode.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: The Mandalorian - SPOILER ALERT ("The Child") Reply with quote

Quote:
Mandalorian-themed "woman yelling at cat" meme

CRMcNeill, have you seen the show now?

~~~

Whill wrote:
People who have seen it can talk about it here in this thread. As a courtesy, let's just please observe protecting spoilers with the White Font colour tagging elsewhere on the forum. Thank you.
Whill wrote:
Third episode into the series, it really doesn't make sense for anyone who hasn't see the series to still be reading this thread, if they care about spoilers. So let's try to keep "spoiler" discussion in this one thread, like the single thread we have for new films. Elsewhere on the forum, if something from this show comes up you can use the "white font" spoiler tagging discussing this show for a while. If you haven't seen the latest episode yet, just avoid this thread.

I truly do feel bad for the other countries that don't even have the option to watch The Mandalorian. The internet is flooded with news, articles, discussion, and images from the show, including the baby character. I can't imagine that anyone hasn't had the show spoiled unless the Rancor Pit is the only internet they do and they avoid this thread. But it seems time to address bantha in the room: The Child.

The species and age combination of a character on the show shouldn't really be a spoiler, but this is a special case because Yoda's species has always been shrouded in mystery with very few other members of his species known to exist in Legends and Canon. A Force-sensitive child of Yoda's species being central to the plot of the show is a big deal.

The character has been officially designated The Child. The internet has been calling the child by the nickname of "Baby Yoda". That can be confusing because it is a baby of Yoda's species, but not actually Yoda himself as a baby. If referring to the character in this thread by its fan nickname, please write "Baby yoda" with a lower-case y for clarification. Even though species in Star Wars are generally capitalized except for humans, "a yoda" is not Yoda. There is fan speculation that the child is a clone of Yoda. If that ends up being true then "Baby Yoda" with capital Y may become appropriate, but we don't know that so please don't capitalize yoda for now. An even easier solution will be to simply use "The Child". Capitalizing that term is best, but lower-case could still be easily understood with context.

Not to be the grammar chancellor, but for some reason reading "Baby Yoda" with a capital Y referring to The Child bothers me. (Reading "Baby Yoda" could definitely cause a WTF from people who haven't seen the show.) No one is going to get banned or even warnings over capitalization - This is just my polite request to the forum. Thank you for indulging me!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I've watched the first episode and half of the second. I've been too busy with work to stay current. And a good thing, too, because if I hadn't gotten that far, the Internet would've utterly spoiled me by now.

I have to say, what I liked most about E1 was the Bounty Droid. Not sure if it was IG-88, but it was an interesting take on how a weird, gawky droid could be utterly deadly in a firefight...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IG-11 is the droid's designation, I guess.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Quote:
LANDO: Lord Vader, we only use this facility for carbon freezing. You put him in there, it might kill him!
VADER: I do not want the Emperor's prize damaged. We will test it... on Captain Solo.

Mamatried wrote:
it can be argued that as a master of technology Vader knew that Han would "survive" being frozen in an industrial chamber.

That doesn't check out with the film. Vader wanted to freeze Luke, not Han. Lando points out to Vader that it may kill Luke. The only reason for freezing Han is to test it, before using it on Luke.

Raven Redstar wrote:
I've seen (in other Star Wars media) carbonite used for many prisoners prior to ESB. But, those should be taken with a grain of salt.

Those media are equally suspect as The Mandalorian for the same reason. The media that portrays carbonite freezing living beings chronologically before TESB were all released after TESB. The mere fact that they take place before TESB don't really help it make any more sense with respect to the film.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:
I don't care for carbonite freezing being portrayed as the standard way hunters contain their quarries and the ship having a mini-carbonite freezing... nook? Vader was a master of technology and he said it had to be tested on Solo before he would freeze Luke. So a few years later everyone is freezing people left and right without a big carbonite freeze chamber?

The Carbonite chamber on Bespin was an industrial chamber, not meant for organic life. It's possible that's why it needed to be tested first.

I guess. I didn't say it was impossible. I just personal don't care for it. While admittedly not explicit, it is strongly suggested by the film that freezing living beings is almost unheard of. If freezing living beings are so common but Cloud City just didn't have the right kind of facility for living beings, Lando probably would have said something along the lines of, "Lord Vader, this is an industrial freezing facility. We don't have a biological freezing facility here. This one could kill him."

After successfully suspending disbelief for carbonite freezing as portrayed in TESB since the 80s, I just don't care for this drastic difference in it (much smaller unit, living beings are now the norm). Galactic civilization in SW is thousands of years old, so for the most part, technology advances very slowly (except super weapons). Since it is a vital part of Cloud City business to freeze tibanna gas, I wouldn't think that their carbonite technology is that antiquated. The Mandalorian is set only a few years after TESB.

But it is just a minor point, not a deal breaker. I just don't like it. I'm not letting it ruin the show for me.

One more issue: "This facility is crude, but it should be adequate to freeze Skywalker for his journey to the Emperor."

It's like making a surgery attempt on a living being with a droid reapair kit. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33

Jump to: