The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Rambo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Star Wars Rambo Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use the chart from 2E R&E p207 as a guide for skills when building NPCs. In my games 4D in a combat skill is special forces level of training. My games tend to run with comparatively low skills.

One of the ways I look at skill dice is how many actions it allows a character to effectively take in one combat round.

4D in blaster allows you to take three shots at 2D skill level. That's three very easy shots in 5 seconds, which is quite impressive.

6D in blaster allows you to take FIVE shots at 2D skill level. Or, if you want to boost that to 3D skill, you'd still be able to get off four easy shots.

John Rambo, as a distinguished combat veteran, I could see him between 6D and 7D in blaster or firearms at the start of First Blood. I liked seeing Survival and Tactics at 6D as well.

2E R&E p207 wrote:

Die Code Description

1D Below human average for an attribute.

2D Human average for an attribute and many skills.

3D Average level of training for a Human.

4D Professional level of training for a Human.

5D Above average expertise.

6D Considered about the best in a city or geographic area. About 1 in 100,000 people will have training to this skill level.

7D Among the best on a continent. About 1 in 10,000,000 people will have training to this skill level.

8D Among the best on a planet. About 1 in 100,000,000 people will have
training to this skill level.

9D One of the best for several systems in the immediate area. About 1 in a billion people have a skill at this level.

10D One of the best in a sector.

11D One of the best in a region.

12D+ Among the best in the galaxy.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
I still use the chart from 2E R&E p207 as a guide for skills when building NPCs. In my games 4D in a combat skill is special forces level of training. My games tend to run with comparatively low skills.

One of the ways I look at skill dice is how many actions it allows a character to effectively take in one combat round.

4D in blaster allows you to take three shots at 2D skill level. That's three very easy shots in 5 seconds, which is quite impressive.

6D in blaster allows you to take FIVE shots at 2D skill level. Or, if you want to boost that to 3D skill, you'd still be able to get off four easy shots.

John Rambo, as a distinguished combat veteran, I could see him between 6D and 7D in blaster or firearms at the start of First Blood. I liked seeing Survival and Tactics at 6D as well.

2E R&E p207 wrote:

Die Code Description

1D Below human average for an attribute.

2D Human average for an attribute and many skills.

3D Average level of training for a Human.

4D Professional level of training for a Human.

5D Above average expertise.

6D Considered about the best in a city or geographic area. About 1 in 100,000 people will have training to this skill level.

7D Among the best on a continent. About 1 in 10,000,000 people will have training to this skill level.

8D Among the best on a planet. About 1 in 100,000,000 people will have
training to this skill level.

9D One of the best for several systems in the immediate area. About 1 in a billion people have a skill at this level.

10D One of the best in a sector.

11D One of the best in a region.

12D+ Among the best in the galaxy.

I like your philosophy.
But don't forget that John Rambo at the start of First Blood is a retiring-level character from a previous campaign called 'Viet Nam War'.

He was not only a combat vet, but a Special Forces soldier.
And he was, as described, 'The Best'.

Quote:

Trautman : I don't think you understand. I didn't come to rescue Rambo from you. I came here to rescue you from him.

Teasle : Well, we all appreciate your concern Colonel, I will try to be extra careful!

Trautman : I'm just amazed he allowed any of your posse to live.

Teasle : Is that right?

Trautman : Strictly speaking, he slipped up. You're lucky to be breathing.

Teasle : That's just great. Colonel, you came out here to find out why one of your machines blew a gasket!

Trautman : You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: