The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Published Adventure Order/Metaplot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Published Adventure Order/Metaplot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Published Adventure Order/Metaplot Reply with quote

First post attempted via my phone, so bear with my formatting issues...

As the title would suggest, I'm planning on doing a classic rebellion era game running through the official premade adventures. I have never run any of the premade adventures except for Pirates of Prexiar and New Recruits and Rebel Guns.

My goal is to string all of these pre-written adventures into one long campaign with a sort of meta-plot. I was wondering if anyone in the community has done this sort of thing or if they have any suggestions on where to begin.

I may do New Recruits again, since it nets the players a transport to roam around in. Although several adventures work under the premise that the players are forced to leave their ship behind with the alliance. But, if anyone has some suggestions on an adventure order, I'm eager to hear them.

Thanks in advance!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Published Adventure Order/Metaplot Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
First post attempted via my phone, so bear with my formatting issues...

It looks like it worked fine from your phone.

Raven Redstar wrote:
As the title would suggest, I'm planning on doing a classic rebellion era game running through the official premade adventures. I have never run any of the premade adventures except for Pirates of Prexiar and New Recruits and Rebel Guns.

My goal is to string all of these pre-written adventures into one long campaign with a sort of meta-plot. I was wondering if anyone in the community has done this sort of thing or if they have any suggestions on where to begin.

I may do New Recruits again, since it nets the players a transport to roam around in. Although several adventures work under the premise that the players are forced to leave their ship behind with the alliance. But, if anyone has some suggestions on an adventure order, I'm eager to hear them.

Thanks in advance!

I've never done that, but I am fascinated by this idea and would love to hear from anyone who has done it. I had one campaign where I started it off with five 1e adventure modules, but they weren't that connected by a metaplot.

I started another campaign with three adventures that did feature some common NPCs in all of them for a continuous trilogy, kinda going for a Back to the Future vibe. Tatooine Manhunt started it out but the star destroyer was substituted for the victory sd in Starfall, and Adar Tallon was substituted for Walen Blissex. The adventure ended with the PCs and Walex being captured, which lead directly into Starfall. And then from there we went straight into Crisis on Cloud City, which is a sequel to Starfall but not necessarily designed to take place immediately afterward.

Otherspace has NPCs from Tatooine Manhunt and Strikeforce: Shantipole. Otherspace II is obviously a sequel to that. There is a fanmade Otherspace III. I've never ran any of the Otherspace adventures.

You might find some ideas here: https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5121
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the first thing to do would be to see if each of the adventures specifies a timetable for the start of each adventure, as well as relative PC power level vs. adventure challenge.

Then, the second thing to do would be to come up with a list of important NPCs between all of the adventures and either see if there's any way to weave all of the characters into each of the stories to get a wide but interconnected group of people to populate the adventure arc: similar to what you did with Tatooine Manhunt, Starfall, and Crisis at Cloud City, Whill.

I'm wondering if this project is going to be a little too grand in scope for what I can commit to at the moment... But, it could be fun.

I did find that thread you linked after posting, when I was able to run a search from my laptop. I'll look into it further.

Edited to add a question...:
What do you think about the idea of running the adventures in published order? Starting with the Campaign Pack in 1988, then Tatooine Manhunt, etc..?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I guess the first thing to do would be to see if each of the adventures specifies a timetable for the start of each adventure, as well as relative PC power level vs. adventure challenge.

Well, most published adventures say they are designed for 4-6 starting PCs, or some such. If you had that many players, you would still have to do tweaking because they all wouldn't remain starting level PCs.

Raven Redstar wrote:
What do you think about the idea of running the adventures in published order? Starting with the Campaign Pack in 1988, then Tatooine Manhunt, etc..?

That would be a good as order as any to construct a metaplot for, but I wouldn't limit it to that because when you get plotting you may find that some lead into others better outside of release order.

The campaign I'm planning now will use the Minos Cluster campaign as a general skeleton structure, and then fluff it up with Elrood adventure ideas/adventures, a handful of adventure modules, and a handful of original adventures. There most certainly is a metaplot that is the Minos one but enhanced with my own ideas, but not every adventure is a metaplot episode. I think of it like X-Files, some Star Treks, and a lot of other shows. You have the occasional "mythology" adventures that advance the metaplot, but in between you have some "adventure of the week" adventures.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good advice, Whill. I'll have to think on it a little more, then.

I'm thinking, for now, that I'll go with my initial thought of starting them on New Recruits and Rebel Guns to get them joined up with the Rebellion officially and hopefully by the end of that adventure I'll have an idea where I want to go from there. If I still haven't had any inspiration on which standalone adventure to move them to, I'll have them do Pirates of Prexiar or one of the other ones from Instant Adventures.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've barely ran 2 of those modules for folks, let alone all.. So i'd love to hear what you eventually decide on.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently ran "Nwe recruits and rebel guns" with a group, it is sort of introduction to a campaign with both self made stuff and some few other adventure modules used, it is meant to span roughtly the orignial trilogy timeline
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: