The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Why Stormtroopers are superb marksmen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Why Stormtroopers are superb marksmen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Why Stormtroopers are superb marksmen Reply with quote

If the stormtroopers were as "bad" as the memes, then how could the empire even maintain control?

manpower alone is not enough,.

Now I found this.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2TA9coGLzM

However, what they say here.......
If we look to the actual numbers of shots to hits, then les see how superior the stormtroopers are to anything else in the galaxy.

All hail the Emperor!
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol good video. Thanks for that link. My troopers are better then the average ones, because well, I want them to hit and give the players a challenge.. but I normally have them in small groups, not an overwhelming amount Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you follow Wu's law of ninjas.. The more there are, the suckier they are. The less, the more bad-@$$ they are.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers alone don't make the Stormtrooper the "elite".....just the masses.

When they are described in the books, in comics and when it is actully Canon that they were odered to allow luke and han escape the DS1, then I would argue that there is no evidence to support the the memes around them.

In my games I use the imperial army for most military operations, and the stormtroopers as the FIST and as shock troops, the Elite that destroys the enemy.

it is to me an engma how people can see the stormtroopers as so incopetent....and yet not question how can someone with 100% incompetent soldiers control a galaxy for 25 years?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Stormtroopers are superb marksmen Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
All hail the Emperor!

Loyal subject, the Emperor has granted you audience.

Mamatried wrote:
If the stormtroopers were as "bad" as the memes, then how could the empire even maintain control?

manpower alone is not enough,.

Now I found this.......

And then there's this... https://youtu.be/EFeJUfHu0GM Cool

Mamatried wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2TA9coGLzM

However, what they say here.......
If we look to the actual numbers of shots to hits, then les see how superior the stormtroopers are to anything else in the galaxy.

There are two major flaws in this video.

Quote:
People have tried to come up with all sorts of ways to explain away the apparent inconsistency between the dialogue and what we see on screen.

I have found that this is a very common flaw within the fandom. Fans have an unfortunately tendency to take every single line of dialogue as objectively true and accurate statement about the universe.

Why does everyone think that Obi-Wan is correct? He may not have had much contact with stormtroopers in the 20 years he lived as a desert hermit. I don't think anyone disputes that clonetroopers are more at least a little better than stormtroopers, and Obi-Wan had a lot more experience with clonetroopers.

Also, Obi-Wan is a known liar. In the same movie, he lead Luke to falsely believe that Vader had killed his father, and that Luke's father had defied Luke's uncle and left Tatooine to follow Obi-Wan on a crusade, as if Luke's father and uncle had lived together. Obi-Wan said this stuff because he was trying to get Luke to leave Tatooine with him to help him answer Leia's plea for help.

When Obi-Wan talked about who had really attacked the sandcrawler, Obi-Wan was correct that it was the Empire but he was clearly trying to convince Luke that it was the enemy that Luke must take up the cause to fight against. If he knew about stormtrooper inaccuracy, he very easily could have been embellishing the truth because Luke was clearly torn and Leia's mission was urgent. Obi-Wan didn't have time for Luke to hem-haw around.

Obi-Wan is not the god of the Star Wars universe. He is not always correct and he is not always truthful. Stormtroopers aren't necessarily "so precise" just because Obi-Wan said that to Luke.

Quote:
What if I told you that, by virtually any metric, Imperial stormtroopers are incredibly accurate?

The guy in the video says "by virtually any metric" when he actually only uses the metric of Rebel soldiers on Leia's ship. That is not any metric. It's all relative. No one ever said that stormtroopers were less accurate than sand people (primitives with stolen blasters) or Alderaanians (from a peaceful planet with secret weapons). However, stormtroopers being more accurate than sand people and Alderaanian soldiers does not mean that they are really "so precise."

~

In my SW Universe, stormtroopers come in various calibers. The entry level standard stormtroopers are mookish, but still trained and on the upper end of mooks. The 70s publishing describing them as like pirates has always informed my view of them. I have even redefined their armor as only providing +1 pip energy protection to help explain how they seem to always be at least incapacitated with one shot (in game terms). The armor does however carry an intimidation factor. Entry-level Stormtroopers are not totally inept compared to average citizens of the galaxy, but they are not usually a match for film heroes or even PCs, except in large numbers. And then there are better stormtroopers with more experience and training.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue I have with the "bad aim stormies" is this.

they use a weapon that is not the most accurate, it can be compared to the AK 47, being somehwat accurate and "enough accurate", not that that matters much, though it is worth noting.

If we read books like Twilight Company, we hear of Stormtroopers going through years of training, I doubt this is marely "ideology" and suspect this to inculde extensive military training.

While the Imperial Army naturally does the main fighting , the Stormtroopers are described as and referred to as "elite" forces, now if they could not aim worth anything then sorry to say they will not be much elite, and their armor would not not invoce as much fear as it would redicule and laughter.

We also have to consider what we compare Stormtrooperss with, we don't compare them on a one to one basis with boba fett, luke skywalker or han solo, but we can and should compare them to the general Rebel and the various palnetary forces out there.

Now if we do consider for the sake of argument that the stromtroopers are among the best of what the empire caan field , then with an order to let Like and Leia Escape to track them to the rebel HQ, we could not expect such a task to be give to soldiers not knowing how to aim, as this would easily cuase the death of the "heroes" and maybe years more of trying to locate the rebel HQ, again a task only givent to troops with the skill to make sure their shots appear to miss.

As to Obi Wan, he has spent the better part of 20 years on tattooine, where there are stormtroopers garrisoned, and where they would be depolyed against criminal elements and sand people. So he would be quite familiar with them, now this without speculating what future live action and comics/books would have old man ben do while basking in the sand.

Further more if we do look at the sandcrawler, and the disabling yet "minimal" damage to the vesslel speaks of at least some skill, this too impressing Luke , who would also at least have seen what sand peaopl are capable of and what criminal elements some most likely ex military are capable of, and still "only stomtroopers are that accurate"

Now if we consider a fresh out of training stromtrooper then we have a soldier with at least 2-3 years of military training, with a 4 year traning span total.
They would reasonbly with the "elite" label be considered a step above the best trained regular military, the Imperial Army.

If we think the deiffernce between Marines and Army, then for the most par Marienes are considered "elite", and trained to be a bettel combatant than their army counterpart.

An army mechnaic is a mechanic first and may have no more his basic training weapons qualifications.
A US Marine is a rifle man first and then a mechanic second, being first trained and qualified to "par" as a combatant and then trained as a mechanic.
THis on average make the US Marine a better shot than their army Counterparts, and it would make sense that this applies to Stormtroopers.

While I agree that the video have flaws, we can however count the hit to shot ratio, where the stormtroopers in this case is 3x as accurate compared to the rebel troopers.
The stomtroopers also breach through a bottleneck agaist a well defended and partially covered opponents, a very hard thing to pull off, yet they suffer only 4 casualties inculding the one killed by Leia, to the clsoer to 12-15 rebels.
Agian this tells me that they are quite impressive combatants.

If we have a 1-10 scale of troop tiers, I would deem rag tag groups as a 1, and criminal elements 2-3 with the planetary forces and imperial regular military (army) rating 3-5 with the imperial being on the higher end of that.
Stormtroopers would IMO rate 4-6 with very elite stormtroopers like the scar suad rating as a tier 7 and the commandos/guards and special forces would hold the 8-10 tiers.

I too however use stormtroopers as mooks but maybe more deadly ones, but they fall in droves, even as elite troops compared to what else is out there
Akumakaji
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my stormtroopers a bit more acurate, too. I think giving them 5D in blasters makes them a reasonable dangerous foe without overblowing it (and dont forget the -1D for the armor).

The second video, posted by Whil, is amusing, but only showcases the thicc plot armor, that protects our beloved heroes ^^ Not a singel one is hit between that 300 shots fired at them, but thats ok, they are the heroes of this story.

I always forget that there is a regular imperial army, and that the storm troopers are sort of the fear inducing elite.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akumakaji wrote:
I like my stormtroopers a bit more acurate, too. I think giving them 5D in blasters makes them a reasonable dangerous foe without overblowing it (and dont forget the -1D for the armor).

Getting rid of their armor penalty (since they damn well live in it), would be great to, make them somewhat deadlier.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Akumakaji wrote:
Getting rid of their armor penalty (since they damn well live in it), would be great to, make them somewhat deadlier.
I almost always do that. Since stormtroopers are nearly always encountered in their armor, it's less work for me as the GM to assume all stats have already included any armor penalty and, as you say, they tend to have a lot of experience being in that armor.

If one wants to weaken stormtroopers compared to PCs (well at least compared to most PCs) a better approach might be to significantly decrease the protection value of the armor. In the movies, the armor doesn't appear to provide much protection anyway, not even against arrows shot or rocks and spears hand-tossed by a bunch of teddy bears.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If one wants to weaken stormtroopers compared to PCs (well at least compared to most PCs) a better approach might be to significantly decrease the protection value of the armor. In the movies, the armor doesn't appear to provide much protection anyway, not even against arrows shot or rocks and spears hand-tossed by a bunch of teddy bears.

My wife just said this a couple of days ago.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:

My wife just said this a couple of days ago.

Funny, so did I a couple days ago, higher up in the thread!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

removing armor penalty is not "increased skill"

meaning that removing the armor penalty does not make stormtrooper better, this puts them at PAR, but they are supposed to be the "best" the "elite" if this a mere "being upto par" then ok, if being best or elte means a cut above the norm, then sorry to say the stormtroopers even with 0 armor bonus is still not a good enough soldier not even in numbers to allow the empire to have control and not be laughed out of the galaxy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. As i showed a while back, General army troopers, have higher base skills even without storm troopers suffering no armor penalties.. IMO they need to be 1 possibly 2d higher in both blaster and dodge..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True. As i showed a while back, General army troopers, have higher base skills even without storm troopers suffering no armor penalties.. IMO they need to be 1 possibly 2d higher in both blaster and dodge..

I think the issue is that some of us and the "tone" of the rules is that it should be exceedingly rare with anyone above 6D in a skill, but given the difficulties, we can argue that an elite trooper should be in this range,v and with the ones even better be above this.

I personally never limited anyone, players or NPCs to the "scale" where 3D is trained, 4D professional and 8D among the best in the sector of space........

I would actually go as far as to say with the difficulties given, a minimum of 7-8D should be for anyone at a special forces level with a 5-6D being highly elite forces, stormtroopers and the like.

In fact I would consider a TIE pilot character starting with allocated 2D in Starfighter piloting giving a starting rank of 6D, I would call this guy a recruit and not even close to an ace or anything, he would need imo at least 7-8D and the same or close in both gunnery and yes......shields, even if trained on a tie fighter, though to a latter degree than his piloting and gunnery skill, but with a 4D default he should to be considered one of the best pilots have at least 5D in shields as well.

Now this makes a character that sorry to say even if "player heroic" really have skills matching what can be expected of a pilot that is finished training and shipped out to his combat assignment, the 6D pilot is NOT much iif any above his peers.

If we then look to the general army, as you say their stats and skills are way better even if we add in armor penalties.
To me the only thing that makes sense as to stormtroopers being "elite" is to stat them above the standard army trooper and maybe even significantly so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: