The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
My boy, you are a pilgrim in an unholy land. Shocked

"X" marks the spot. Wink

I should have elaborated. When I saw Episode I, it was a matinee on the day of the premiere. Kids were still in school, and 9-to-5 folks were still at work. I just happened to have enough time before work to zip in to the mall, which was only 2 or 3 miles away.

Now, when I saw Revenge of the Sith, I went to the midnight showing the night before the premiere, and the theater was packed! I was jammed up against the wall surrounded by mouth-breathers.

I figure there'll be a lot of action this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I'll probably be able sneak in Sunday while the normies are at their respective houses of worship.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Skywalker Saga Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So who has tickets for TRoS already? Even if you don't, when do you plan on seeing it?

I'll see it when it comes out on Disney+ unless my wife makes me go sooner or the post-release spoilers sound decent.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Skywalker Saga Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Classic Trilogy Re-Watch

So who has tickets for TRoS already? Even if you don't, when do you plan on seeing it?

I do. For the 22nd. I was more concerned with getting good seats, than I was with being the first one on my block to see it.

A gentleman of high degree got to go to an early screening and gave it a glowing spoiler free review over on the FFG Star Wars: Legion boards. So I am more optimistic about it than I have ever been.

I think it's weird how often the say "The Skywalker Saga" in ads. I don't recall the phrase coming up often (if at all) before, maybe occasionally in reference to Anakin Skywalker. Maybe it's because they need a shorthand to denote the trilogy of trilogies. Anyways I have copy/pasted the aforementioned review below, note that the writer is a former West End employee who worked on Star Wars.

NO SPOILERS.

Not even innuendos, because no matter how vague I think I may be, I'm sure someone will pick up on it.

I was very fortunate to count myself as one of those who got to see an early viewing, and am very thankful to the kind and dear friend who got me the ticket. Truly, I owe you a lot and remain moved by your loving gesture.

As anyone who has read my posts here knows I am a fan of Star Wars in every sense of the word, but given that, I still am not blind to the fact that some of what has come before were ... let’s say they were not as beloved as the Original Trilogy.

What I am trying to say is that I can be critical when it counts. Do we not hold friends and loved ones to task when it is called for?

THE REVIEW

The audience I went with comprised mostly media and film industry folks. You will be hard pressed to find a more jaded group of scum and villainy anywhere.

I am fairly sure there were more than a few skeptics among the viewers.

Then the lights dimmed, the familiar music filled the room, the opening crawl started.

And there I was surrounded by some 800 adults wearing expensive evening attire who despite themselves managed to reconnect with their wide eyed, opened mouthed, popcorn eating 6 year old selves again.

There were many a loud cheers throughout the whole film, there were a few "full applause" moments and those were well within the first hour alone.

I shed many a tear, and more than a handful of adults next to me did the same.

Why?

Simply put, because after many a decades of going to see Star Wars films, we once more, can look up on the silver screen and proclaim,

This IS A STAR WARS FILM!

By the first few minutes of celluloid alone it is beautifully clear, JJ Abrams and his team have created a fitting end to our multi-generation’s Space Opera that is compelling, exciting and larger than life.

We live in the days where we can finally and proudly claim we once again have a movie that is well worthy an heir to the Originals.

There can be no doubt JJ Abrams made a film for the fans, and there maybe those who decry this story beats as simple fan service. Well butter my popcorn and tip of my root beer because that’s what I’m here for.

For those wondering, I can say that many unanswered questions (and even derisive complaints) are addressed in the narrative. Certain issues that may have been wrought by the last film are tempered and smoothed out.

The first half of the film may seem a little jarring, the pacing of the story is a blitz and more rapid than a supped up speeder bike.

Scene cuts to another scene and Abrams & company assume the audience can keep up with the story twists and controversial turns, giving the viewers what they want right when they want it, at times BEFORE the audience realizes they wanted it.

Of course Carrie/Leia is honored, and C3PO gets a story arc, the new leads get to shine.

There is more than enough parts nostalgia, emotional investment for the characters and good natured humor thrown in the film experience help let you escape to a Galaxy far, far away.

As fans, we owe John Williams a Life Debt. The musical score is BEAUTIFUL. I could watch the whole movie sans dialogue and still be awestruck at the grandeur of the compositions. John Williams unequivocally remains the uncontested Jedi Master. He gets my vote for the first human we clone.

There are some DEEP cuts in the film, I am happy to say that some Legends material are once again Canon, some dealing with The Force, the Jedi and the Sith.

Was it as good as The Empire Strikes Back?

Oh come on you scruffy looking nerf herder!

In a New York minute see if you can name me five pieces of art as profound and memorable as Episode V.

MY Imperial ADVICE BEFORE YOU WATCH THE MOVIE

Avoid the rampant spoilers and naysayers, butter the popcorn, wear comfy clothes, hit the restroom, the sit down and SMILE.

No need to be skeptical or have low expectations, leave your life's worries behind for two hours, and invite your six your old self along for the ride.

Be a kid again.

You owe it to yourself. Meet the movie half way, the movie will Wookiee charge to meet you.

The Rise of Skywalker is deserving successor of the all three Trilogies.

Thank you George Lucas, Thank you JJ, Thank you Mark, Harrison and all the rest.

We miss you Peter, Kenny, and Carrie!

Thank you all for making me a fan of the Saga.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Skywalker Saga Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
For the 22nd. I was more concerned with getting good seats, than I was with being the first one on my block to see it.

I understand. Having a good seat is important. I saw The Dark Knight in IMAX but got there late before that theater had assigned seating, and I was in the very front row all the way on the end of the row. It was horrible.

However my fear of getting spoiled is equally important to me, so when my first choice theater only had crappy seats for Thursday at 7:00pm by the time I found out the tickets went on sale, I had to move to less desirable theater to get good seats at that same time.

Quote:
I think it's weird how often the say "The Skywalker Saga" in ads. I don't recall the phrase coming up often (if at all) before, maybe occasionally in reference to Anakin Skywalker. Maybe it's because they need a shorthand to denote the trilogy of trilogies.

Before Disney, we had a six-film "Star Wars Saga" because there wen't any other Star Wars films and they were one saga. When Disney announced that they were also going to make unrelated films and even unrelated series, the "The Skywalker Saga" term began being used informally by fans.

Earlier this year Lucasfilm actually announced that is the official branding they are using for this movie series. Episode IX does have "Skywalker" in the title, and this is a definite ending before they move on to unrelated stories. I don't think it is weird at all, and I'm sure it will make more sense after we see this last film.

Quote:
A gentleman of high degree got to go to an early screening and gave it a glowing spoiler free review over on the FFG Star Wars: Legion boards. So I am more optimistic about it than I have ever been.

...Anyways I have copy/pasted the aforementioned review below, note that the writer is a former West End employee who worked on Star Wars...

You ask us to note that the writer is a former WEG Star Wars author, but your note is incomplete. Who? I found the FFG board post where this came from, but I can't seem to identify a real name from the poster's profile. Who wrote this?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West End employee, not (as far as I know) author. I only point it out as I thought it may be of general interest.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee and garhkal, if you haven't seen the movie, why are you reading the spoilers thread? And garhkal, don't listen to others. See the movie yourself on Tuesday or whenever, and form your own opinions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
West End employee, not (as far as I know) author. I only point it out as I thought it may be of general interest.

OK, but do you not know his name, or are you just being aloof for some reason?

I don't know his real name but I believe his prior claims to a WEG job.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I intend to be thoroughly and utterly Spoiled on this movie before I set foot in the theater, for a multitude of reasons, and assuming I go see it at all, it will be either an Early Bird Matinee or I’ll wait for it to hit the $1 theater.

Not seeing this film is definitely a good option for the sake of your own happiness if you didn't like the previous two ST films. When I read people describe how much extreme unhappiness a movie caused them, I always wonder why they keep going back for more. A simple solution would seem to be, stop subjecting yourself to it, but none of them ever seem to choose that option. They just keep going, and then keep complaining about how horrible it is to everyone else, as if it is their unrelenting mission in life only to just to spread negativity to others. Misery loves company, it seems.

The early bird matinee is a good option to see the film. I do that quite a lot myself. Not caring about spoilers is your prerogative, but sitting through the movie is what earns us the right to have opinions about the film and the sequel trilogy as a whole. So read the spoiler thread all you want if you don't care, but posting in the spoiler thread is meant for people who have seen then film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So read the spoiler thread all you want if you don't care, but posting in the spoiler thread is meant for people who have seen then film.

Roger, roger. The main reason I replied is so I could have it in the View My Posts section; I'll hold my peace until (if) I actually see the film.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: TRoS Spoilers thread. Reply with quote

Site Admin wrote:
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not care about being spoiled on TRoS, please keep in mind that posting in this thread is meant for those who have actually seen the film. Thanks.

This was from the OP of TRoS Spoilers thread.

Site Admin wrote:
So read the spoiler thread all you want if you don't care, but posting in the spoiler thread is meant for people who have seen then film.

This was from a recent post in this thread.

MrNexx wrote:
I haven't seen it yet, but...

This was originally posted in TRoS Spoilers thread. Choosing to read the spoiler thread before you see the film is not advised but ultimately your choice. However posting in the spoiler thread is meant for people who have seen the film. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "non-spoiler" reviews and reactions Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

I think it's weird how often the say "The Skywalker Saga" in ads. I don't recall the phrase coming up often (if at all) before, maybe occasionally in reference to Anakin Skywalker. Maybe it's because they need a shorthand to denote the trilogy of trilogies. Anyways I have copy/pasted the aforementioned review below, note that the writer is a former West End employee who worked on Star Wars.

NO SPOILERS.

Not even innuendos, because no matter how vague I think I may be, I'm sure someone will pick up on it...
TauntaunScout wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
I don't know his real name but I believe his prior claims to a WEG job.

I meant to reply to this. Let us not post any reviews, even so-called "non-spoiler" reviews or reactions here or anywhere but the spoiler thread until the spoiler observance period has ended. Even though they may not contain plot spoilers, they can still affect someone's expectations which can affect someone's initial experience of the film. Even positive reviews like this one can set someone up for disappointment. If people care what others think before seeing it for themselves, they have plenty of avenues for that outside of this website. I know from my own experience that dealing with my own personal expectations is bad enough, so let's try not contribute to anyone else's expectations if they haven't seen the film yet. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, at what point will the "Commenting only for people who've seen the movie" restriction be lifted? I have no plans to see the film any time soon (if at all), but I do have at least one question/comment on a subject raised over on the other page...

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
So, at what point will the "Commenting only for people who've seen the movie" restriction be lifted? I have no plans to see the film any time soon (if at all), but I do have at least one question/comment on a subject raised over on the other page...

The spoiler restriction expires on January 5th.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

The spoiler restriction expires on January 5th.

Thanks, cheshire. Whether they have seen the movie or not, I have no issues with anyone talking about TRoS spoiler material on any thread when I release the spoiler restrictions on the 5th.

Although it is worth mentioning here for everyone reading this that at no time do I want to see unrepentant all-out bashfests on the film from anyone who hasn't seen it, like we inconceivably had for Solo. (I don't give a d@mn what your cousin says about the film if you haven't see it). Sitting through the film is "paying" for the right to "bash" it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, this topic is more appropriate for the speculation page...

I’ve heard a few rumors that tie into an interesting “What might’ve been” for the sequels.
    1). Apparently, George Lucas had an outline of the sequels, including a concept of meeting the “beings who embody the Force.”

2). The persistent rumors that Matt Smith had an important character in TRoS.
Specifically, I’ve heard a rumor that Matt Smith was going to play the Son, from the Clone Wars arc of the Force Wielders of Mortis.

Now, I have to say, I thought that arc was one of the silliest in a show that had some truly silly moments. And yet, the concept would seem to at least somewhat parallel Lucas’ own thoughts.

And even if it is silly, is it any more silly than what we got?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: