The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars? Reply with quote

These are near future techs. Do you think they exist in the background of the Star Wars galaxy or they explicitly absent. I’ll provide links for stuff you don’t know.

1.) Cloud robotics-https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_robotics

2.) Enernet- univarsal smart grid network of power sharing built on common standards.

3.) Inductive charging- Inductive chargers use an electromagnetic field to transfer energy between two objects

4.) Reprogrammable chip- hardware in reprogrammable chips can be updated and upgraded as and when necessary much like software adding

5.) T-ray scanner-Much like X-rays these can be used to see through objects - fabric, cardboard, skin.

6.) Digital currency- Virtual money

7.) Tricorder- Handheld medical scanner

8.) Photovolatic glass-Photovoltaic glass gathers energy from sunlight as it passes through the transparent material for storage or to run devices

9.) Smartgrid-electrical power networks that communicate with all devices pulling current to efficiently and sustainable deliver electricity.

10.) Nanowire-structures subject to quantum effects that have a thickness or diameter of less than tens of nanometers and an unconstrained length.

11.) Mesh networking- In mesh networking each computer in the network collaborates to disseminate the information in the network.

12.) Intention decoding algorithm- Something droids have to determine what others will do
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximum7 wrote:
These are near future techs. Do you think they exist in the background of the Star Wars galaxy...

Yes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars? Reply with quote

Maximum7 wrote:

10.) Nanowire-structures subject to quantum effects that have a thickness or diameter of less than tens of nanometers and an unconstrained length.

This is the least likely, IMO. Star Wars tech doesn't do much at the nano-scale (though I could be wrong).

Cloud robotics we saw in Episode 1.

Enernets likely exist, especially in places like Coruscant.

Inductive charging? Almost definitely.

Reprogramable chips are almost definitely part of droid technologies, if nothing else.

T-ray scanner? Might not have exactly that, but something similar.

Digital currency? I imagine this is pretty standard in the Empire for lots of things; physical currency is more of a Rim thing.

Tricorder: Maybe not called that, but something similar. Maybe a bit bigger than the Star Trek standard.

Photovalic glass is likely standard if there's low power grids... I would bet that Owen Lars' moisture vaporators on the south ridge were powered by something similar.

Smartgrids? Like enernet, standard in planet-cities and other integrated places. Theed probably had them, even if Mos Eisley does not.

Mesh networking? Again, the battle droids in Episode 1 are arguably an example.

Intention decoding algorithm? Like you said, any droid expected to interact with humans will likely have something similar, even if it couldn't be interpreted as such by an Earth computer programmer... something to do the job, as it were.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Maximum7 wrote:
Nanowire-structures subject to quantum effects that have a thickness or diameter of less than tens of nanometers and an unconstrained length.

This is the least likely, IMO. Star Wars tech doesn't do much at the nano-scale (though I could be wrong).

Much? Probably not. But the 1989 WEG adventure module Crisis on Cloud City had particularly nasty nanotech in the form of nanodroids that a renegade droid injected into people to turn them into cyborgs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clone Wars cartoon had an episode with Nano driods that turned someone into a walking bomb.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Maximum7 wrote:
Nanowire-structures subject to quantum effects that have a thickness or diameter of less than tens of nanometers and an unconstrained length.

Much? Probably not. But the 1989 WEG adventure module Crisis on Cloud City had particularly nasty nanotech in the form of nanodroids that a renegade droid injected into people to turn them into cyborgs.

Sounds like the Borg.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars already has a Borg species: the Iskalloni from the Twin Stars of Kira supplement.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
But the 1989 WEG adventure module Crisis on Cloud City had particularly nasty nanotech in the form of nanodroids that a renegade droid injected into people to turn them into cyborgs.

Sounds like the Borg.

The Crisis on Cloud City adventure came out in 1989, the same year the Borg first appeared on Star Trek: TNG. Since the Trek episode and the WEG module were both in the works before they came out, it is likely that this was a coincidence and neither influenced the other. In the adventure the victims are called "flesh droids" and they didn't begin a race of sci-fi zombies that transformed others. They either died or turned back to normal (I can't remember which) after the renegade droid was neutralized.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Star Wars already has a Borg species: the Iskalloni from the Twin Stars of Kira supplement.

This WEG cyborg species first appeared in 1993, and they were undoubtedly directly influenced by Star Trek's Borg.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Maximum7 wrote:

Sounds like the Borg.

ST copied it in 1996 - first time Borg + nanotech (First Contact). No mention of nano probes before it, I think.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Which of these things do you think DON’T exist in Star Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Maximum7 wrote:

Sounds like the Borg.

ST copied it in 1996 - first time Borg + nanotech (First Contact). No mention of nano probes before it, I think.

I think you may be right about the specific method of assimilation by injecting nanobots not appearing in Trek until 1996. In all fairness, it is possible that Star Trek didn't actually copy WEG due to the relative obscurity of Crisis on Cloud City. Nanobots are a very sci-fi thing and have appeared in Star Trek outside of the Borg and sci-fil in general before that. However, I choose to believe it is true that Star Trek copied WEG Star Wars!

In reading about the production history of the Borg I had learned that the Borg were originally conceived as a species of insectoid cyborgs to better realize the hive mentality, but they were changed to humanoids for budgetary reasons. I was inspired by that to devise a race of insect cyborgs for my SWU. I just need to come up with artwork for one and imagination will take care of the rest.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought jumped to Dark Verpine, since they already operate as a hive. Maybe these ones have fused with Technology trying to achieve perfection? (Sounds familiar...)
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
My first thought jumped to Dark Verpine, since they already operate as a hive. Maybe these ones have fused with Technology trying to achieve perfection? (Sounds familiar...)

Yeah. My original idea was a sect of Verpine, but I don't like the idea of insects with only four limbs so I devised a base species that the Verpine are offshoots from, the Verinex, which looked like Verpine but they have four arms instead of only two. The worker drones of the Verinex only had four limbs, and long ago they had used poorly understood ancient alien genetic engineering tech to create more intelligent drones they could use to help win a war. It worked except the drones were too smart so rebelled against their masters and left them, becoming the Verpine. The Verinex tend to have a superiority complex, looking down on all species with only two arms.

Then I thought the cyborg cult should be Verinex, and Verpine would be particularly tempted to join the cult's hive because of their fascination with technology - Verpine are being offered an opportunity to fuse (medically unnecessary) cybernetics into their body. The borg cult is happy to take Verpine because they will just give the Verpine a set of cybernetic arms to get their arm count up to the "proper" number of four.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars? Reply with quote

Yes but not everywhere all at once. Plenty of that stuff sounds like it would be common only on core worlds, and even be rare and cutting edge there. None of it strikes me as dramatically "un-Star Wars" though.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Which of these do you think DON’T exist in Star Wars? Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Yes but not everywhere all at once. Plenty of that stuff sounds like it would be common only on core worlds, and even be rare and cutting edge there. None of it strikes me as dramatically "un-Star Wars" though.

The Firefly paradigm works well here; super advanced tech on the core worlds, then tech and sophistication levels dropping off the further "out" one goes, to the point where worlds in the Outer Rim may be operating on Industrial Age-level tech with a few advanced items thrown into the mix (starships, blasters, etc).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: