The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars news video 1983
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars news video 1983
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Star Wars news video 1983 Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/RankerWorldly/videos/571750686719414/

Back in the good old days when everyone loved Star Wars. Since I was a kid back then, it is nice to see how blown away adults were by the original ending to the Star Wars saga.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars news video 1983 Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/RankerWorldly/videos/571750686719414/

Back in the good old days when everyone loved Star Wars. Since I was a kid back then, it is nice to see how blown away adults were by the original ending to the Star Wars saga.

That's a point I keep coming back to with the OT. It was really very cross generational. So the argument that "you bitter fans are just too old for SW" falls flat to me.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars news video 1983 Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
That's a point I keep coming back to with the OT. It was really very cross generational. So the argument that "you bitter fans are just too old for SW" falls flat to me.

Well it would be interesting to know more of what the adults back then think of the franchise since then. I think a few have posted here over the years. I think for all ages there is probably a tendency for fans to like the first SW films they saw most, but I agree that age is not as easy of a divide as some would have it. You know I totally defy that 'bitter old fan' argument being a fan who loves two of the PT films and both Disney prequels. Even you defy that just for liking RO.

However I do think there is something to the age thing for fans who first saw Star Wars as children. I have known a lot of fans close to my age who find it much easier to overlook flaws in the CT than the PT. Inner child and adult nostalgia goggles are things. I am still in touch with a lot of my 1e players who I have known since we were youths. More than half of them haven't liked a Star Wars movie since 1983.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw two Revenge of the Jedi t-shirts. I bet now they wish they could sell them for a small fortune
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom saw Star Wars 7 times in the theater. She didn't like the prequel or sequels when I went with her to some of them. She basically thinks they're ok to kill a couple hours, but they're all just the same stuff from the OT being poorly copied.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad, who took my brother and me to see all three classic films in the theater (once each during the original theatrical runs), loves them and says the original Star Wars is one of his favorite movies of all time. Back then seeing movies in the theater was a one-time thing even if he loved them. At some point after Temple of Doom, he stopped going to the theater. For him, repeat viewings of any movies are just whenever they happen to be on TV. I don't know if he has seen the PT or any of the Disney SW movies on TV, and if I asked him he probably wouldn't remember. He doesn't own any DVD or even VHS tech. He loves movies in general but just watches whatever is on TV.

My mom was ruined on all "space" movies by seeing 2001 in theater as a teen and not liking it. She still hasn't seen any Star Wars! I really need to show her the original Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legend in the family was, my older brother liked SW so much because mom saw it 7 times in the theater while pregnant. She probably saw it more than 7 times because it was a year or two between the original release and her first pregnancy.

I went to see Episode 1 with her and she thought it was blandly formulaic. I talked to her when TFA came out and she said the same thing. I *assume* she saw all the others in the theater but could be wrong.

You must rent that theater, play ANH and don't tell your mom what you're up to just invite her to it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: